      From: C.L.M. Toxopeus
      To: magnifiers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 3:05 AM
      Subject: RE: [magnifiers] Java Support for Dolphin??

      Hi Ram,

      I am a user of ZoomText and I have been using Java
      also for a while. From what I know is that JAWS and
      ZoomText currently are the only asistive programs on
      the market that support Java. For support you need, a
      screen reader or screen magnifier, a Java application
      and the Java Access Bridge. The Java Access Bridge
      links the Java Virtual Machine with the assistive
      program, so it can read output from a Java
      application. Perhaps you already knew this, otherwhise
      you should know this if you want to use a Java
      application. You wrote that the application was
      written in Swing. That means that it can be
      accessible. You could try the Java application with a
      trial version of ZoomText 8. After installing ZoomText
      8, install the lates version of the Java Runtime
      Environment and than the latest version of the Java
      Access Bridge. You can download the newest beta 1.0.4
      beta 2 of the Java Access Bridge. You'll therefore
      need to be a member of the Java Developer Connection
      (free), so that shouldn't be a problem. Good luck with
      the testing.

      I don't know if the current Dolphin products support
      the Java Access Bridge. From my knowledge not (yet).
      Lets hope that they will in the future.

      greetings,

      Kees

      --- Steve Bennett <steve.bennett@...>
      wrote: > Hi Ram

      > I do hope you don't mind the manufacturer responding
      > to your posting about Java. It is possible to use
      > the DirectDraw line of code in Dolphin magnification
      > products but this feature is turned off by default.
      > If you would like to know how to switch this feature
      > on please let me know and I will forward the details
      > directly.
      >
      > Like all access companies we have a continual
      > development cycle which looks at Java and many other
      > aspects, we would welcome input from anybody on new
      > features and in particular details of where these
      > would be used.
      >
      > Many thanks
      >
      > Steve Bennett
      > Dolphin Computer Access