Re: [magicu-l] ERD generator

  • Mike Bannon
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1 12:22 AM
      Ted

      We're using ERCreator (www.ModelCreator.com). It's not freeware, but its
      very reasonably priced - $99 or $149, depending on which features you want.
      A nice thing about it is that the diagram information is actually stored as
      XML, which gives a number of options for manipulating it. E.g. With a little
      work you could create a Magic document template to output the tables
      repository in the required XML format, thus creating your diagrams
      automatically from Magic.

      Mike Bannon

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1 1:34 AM
        Hello,

        We have a new configuration for use at an exhibition. Windows2003 server,
        and XP client. Not connected to the normal network, only to each other.

        Pervasive 8.5, Magic 940.

        The performance in this setup is very bad. Opening the CTL takes sometimes
        more than 10 seconds. A simple program also takes very long to show the
        initial screen. I did notice that the second time it CAN be much faster.
        But not always.

        I must admit that the last years I haven't done much with pervasive setup
        etc, so now I'm not sure where to look.

        I do remember threads about only allowing one protocol, and that the
        default pervasive settings should do quite a good job performance wise.

        Any other ideas???

        TIA!!!

        gr,

        Ramon de Wit
        Mage - Magic Engineering
      • Steve Burrows
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1 1:54 AM
          We have seen similar problems with some XP machines. Our best guess at the
          moment is the Chip. Celeron on XP being very slow at some tasks (like
          opening files), Intel being normal speed.

          We have a new configuration for use at an exhibition. Windows2003 server,
          and XP client. Not connected to the normal network, only to each other.

          Pervasive 8.5, Magic 940.

          The performance in this setup is very bad. Opening the CTL takes sometimes
          more than 10 seconds. A simple program also takes very long to show the
          initial screen. I did notice that the second time it CAN be much faster.
          But not always.

          I must admit that the last years I haven't done much with pervasive setup
          etc, so now I'm not sure where to look.

          I do remember threads about only allowing one protocol, and that the
          default pervasive settings should do quite a good job performance wise.

          Any other ideas???

          TIA!!!

          gr,

          Ramon de Wit
          Mage - Magic Engineering

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Keith B. Canniff
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1 5:25 AM
            Is Pervasive setup on the Win2003 Server or the workstation? Workstation Pervasive getting data from any other computer besides local will be slow. Sign up as a developer on Pervasive's website and download a fre v8.5 Workgroup engine and install it on both the server and the workstation. Without any changes it should fly. If not, remove all protocals used other than TCP/IP. If it's still slow, I would say it's a network connection problem.

            On Thursday, April 01, 2004 4:34 AM, Ramon de Wit wrote:

            >Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:34:31 +0200
            >From: Ramon de Wit
            >To: magicu-l@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [magicu-l] performance problems pervasive
            >
            >Hello,
            >

            >We have a new configuration for use at an exhibition. Windows2003 server,
            >and XP client. Not connected to the normal network, only to each other.
            >
            >Pervasive 8.5, Magic 940.
            >
            >The performance in this setup is very bad. Opening the CTL takes sometimes
            >more than 10 seconds. A simple program also takes very long to show the
            >initial screen. I did notice that the second time it CAN be much faster.
            >But not always.
            >
            >I must admit that the last years I haven't done much with pervasive setup
            >etc, so now I'm not sure where to look.
            >
            >I do remember threads about only allowing one protocol, and that the
            >default pervasive settings should do quite a good job performance wise.
            >
            >Any other ideas???
            >
            >TIA!!!
            >
            >gr,
            >

            >Ramon de Wit
            >Mage - Magic Engineering
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            ======================================
            Keith Canniff
            VP Product Development
            Management of Information Technologies Inc.
            Phone: (770) 840-9551
            Fax: (770) 840-9815
            kcanniff@...
            Report/Review Software Issues:
            http://www.mitus.com/ttweb/login.htm
          • Steven G. Blank
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1 5:41 AM
              Ramon,

              I assume you're using TCP/IP on this network of two and also that, when you
              first set installed things, the two computers were connected to a larger
              network. If so, then the delay is probably as a result of the workstation
              searching for a DNS server to resolve the server's name into its IP
              address. One quick fix for this is to give each computer a static IP
              address and create a HOSTS file on workstation containing the server's name
              and address. Once this is done, reboot the workstation and, before
              executing any application that loads the Pervasive client, edit the
              registry and remove the SAT entries as described in the following message:

              BTW, which Pervasive.SQL product is installed on the server, the server
              edition or the workgroup edition?

              If the latter, you can try switching Pervasive's Supported Protocols from
              TCP/IP to Microsoft NetBIOS.

              Steve Blank

              At 02:34 AM 4/1/2004, you wrote:
              >Hello,
              >
              >We have a new configuration for use at an exhibition. Windows2003 server,
              >and XP client. Not connected to the normal network, only to each other.
              >
              >Pervasive 8.5, Magic 940.
              >
              >The performance in this setup is very bad. Opening the CTL takes sometimes
              >more than 10 seconds. A simple program also takes very long to show the
              >initial screen. I did notice that the second time it CAN be much faster.
              >But not always.
              >
              >I must admit that the last years I haven't done much with pervasive setup
              >etc, so now I'm not sure where to look.
              >
              >I do remember threads about only allowing one protocol, and that the
              >default pervasive settings should do quite a good job performance wise.
              >
              >Any other ideas???
              >
              >TIA!!!
              >
              >gr,
              >

              >Ramon de Wit
              >Mage - Magic Engineering

              ----------------------------
              Steven G. Blank
              Salt Lake City, Utah USA
              ----------------------------
            • Ted Shepler
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 1 8:54 AM
                Thank you all that responded. I have a good list to work from now and I am
                excited to begin this project.
                Ted

                > Anybody know of a freeware ERD generator? I think its time to throw these
                tables
                > & DDFs up on the wall.
                >
                > Ted Shepler
                >
                > Benefit Solutions Inc.
                > 3400 - 188th Street, SW, Suite 601
                > Lynnwood, WA 98037
                > phone: 425-771-7359
                > fax: 425-771-1226
                >
                > The information contained in this e-mail and subsequent attachments may be
                > privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. This transmission
                is
                > intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is
                addressed.
                > If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or
                > copying is strictly prohibited. If you think you have received this
                message in
                > error, please reply to the sender immediately and place "EMAIL ADDRESS
                ERROR" in
                > the subject line so that we may research it and make the appropriate
                > corrections.Q

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Magic Programmer
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 1 11:10 PM
                  Hi Magic Group,

                  I wanted to know what are the best Btrieve settings on Windows 2000 Server to get maximum performance and increase the speed. I am not using a Pervasive version.

                  As of now, the speed gets damn slow when 2 users log into the system. And it works fine with a single user working.

                  Thanks in advance.

                  At 02:34 AM 4/1/2004, you wrote:
                  >Hello,
                  >
                  >We have a new configuration for use at an exhibition. Windows2003 server,
                  >and XP client. Not connected to the normal network, only to each other.
                  >
                  >Pervasive 8.5, Magic 940.
                  >
                  >The performance in this setup is very bad. Opening the CTL takes sometimes
                  >more than 10 seconds. A simple program also takes very long to show the
                  >initial screen. I did notice that the second time it CAN be much faster.
                  >But not always.
                  >
                  >I must admit that the last years I haven't done much with pervasive setup
                  >etc, so now I'm not sure where to look.
                  >
                  >I do remember threads about only allowing one protocol, and that the
                  >default pervasive settings should do quite a good job performance wise.
                  >
                  >Any other ideas???
                  >
                  >TIA!!!
                  >
                  >gr,
                  >

                  >Ramon de Wit
                  >Mage - Magic Engineering

                • develop
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1 11:42 PM
                    Hello Magic Developer,
                    You did upgrade Magic? e.g. from 5.0 to 8.3? Why not Btrieve too? When you
                    have 5 or less users the Pervasive-Workgroup is not very expensive, but runs
                    great.
                    Regards, Teun van Unen - UNDIX InformatieSystemen - Netherlands

                    > I wanted to know what are the best Btrieve settings on Windows 2000 Server
                    to get maximum performance and increase the speed. I am not using a
                    Pervasive version.

                    > As of now, the speed gets damn slow when 2 users log into the system. And
                    it works fine with a single user working.

                    > Thanks in advance.
                    >

                    > "Steven G. Blank" <sgblank@...> wrote:
                    > Ramon,
                    >
                    > I assume you're using TCP/IP on this network of two and also that, when
                    you
                    > first set installed things, the two computers were connected to a larger
                    > network. If so, then the delay is probably as a result of the workstation
                    > searching for a DNS server to resolve the server's name into its IP
                    > address. One quick fix for this is to give each computer a static IP
                    > address and create a HOSTS file on workstation containing the server's
                    name
                    > and address. Once this is done, reboot the workstation and, before
                    > executing any application that loads the Pervasive client, edit the
                    > registry and remove the SAT entries as described in the following message:

                    > BTW, which Pervasive.SQL product is installed on the server, the server
                    > edition or the workgroup edition?
                    >
                    > If the latter, you can try switching Pervasive's Supported Protocols from
                    > TCP/IP to Microsoft NetBIOS.
                    >
                    > Steve Blank
                    >

                    > At 02:34 AM 4/1/2004, you wrote:
                    > >Hello,
                    > >
                    > >We have a new configuration for use at an exhibition. Windows2003 server,
                    > >and XP client. Not connected to the normal network, only to each other.
                    > >
                    > >Pervasive 8.5, Magic 940.
                    > >
                    > >The performance in this setup is very bad. Opening the CTL takes
                    sometimes
                    > >more than 10 seconds. A simple program also takes very long to show the
                    > >initial screen. I did notice that the second time it CAN be much faster.
                    > >But not always.
                    > >
                    > >I must admit that the last years I haven't done much with pervasive setup
                    > >etc, so now I'm not sure where to look.
                    > >
                    > >I do remember threads about only allowing one protocol, and that the
                    > >default pervasive settings should do quite a good job performance wise.
                    > >
                    > >Any other ideas???
                    > >
                    > >TIA!!!
                    > >
                    > >gr,
                    > >

                    > >Ramon de Wit
                    > >Mage - Magic Engineering

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Magic Programmer

                      > I wanted to know what are the best Btrieve settings on Windows 2000 Server
                      to get maximum performance and increase the speed. I am not using a
                      Pervasive version.

                      > As of now, the speed gets damn slow when 2 users log into the system. And
                      it works fine with a single user working.

                      > Thanks in advance.

                    • Keith B. Canniff
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 2 6:37 AM
                        Multiuser workstation Btrieve is MUCH MUCH slower than the server based version. Just so you get an idea of the difference, go to the Pervasive website and sign up as a developer (free) http://www.pervasive.com/developerzone

                        Then goto the Downloads section and the "Development Engine" download page. Download the Pervasive.SQL V8 Workgroup Engine. Install it on the server. Then install the client and watch it fly. You'll be amazed. Well worth the small investment.

                        ======================================
                        Keith Canniff
                        VP Product Development
                        Management of Information Technologies Inc.
                        Phone: (770) 840-9551
                        Fax: (770) 840-9815
                        kcanniff@...
                        Report/Review Software Issues:
                        http://www.mitus.com/ttweb/login.htm
                      • Ramon de Wit
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 2 6:47 AM
                          Thanks all for the suggestions.

                          The problem still remains vague. Sometimes it is slow, sometimes it isn't.
                          I did find multiple protocols configured on one of the two workstations.
                          Since the reboot of that change we're still in a 'it is fast phase'. Just
                          fingers crossed for now...

                          Good weekend!

                          Ramon de Wit
                          Mage - Magic Engineering
                        • Steven G. Blank
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 2 7:42 AM
                            Hop out to this forum's shared files area:

                            and download the file named optimize.pdf. The filename is all lowercase,
                            so the link appears (alphabetically) way down in the list, following all of
                            the uppercase-named files.

                            Many good tips are to be found in this document, but pay particularly close
                            attention to section 3.2.1 entitled "Lock Violation Delay."

                            You may find that this and other tweaks described in the document will help
                            some, but don't expect any miracles. In the end, you will always see a
                            significant drop in performance when data files are shared between multiple
                            WSEs - it is the nature of the beast and the least of the several reasons
                            why the Btrieve Workstation Engine v6.15 was, in 1997, simply abandoned
                            along with the whole multi-engine philosophy.

                            Do yourself a favor and upgrade to Pervasive.SQL.

                            Steve Blank

                            At 07:32 AM 4/2/2004, you wrote:
                            >Hi Teun,
                            >
                            >I am using Btrieve version 6.15 which comes with Magic 8.3. I think using
                            >that should not be the issue for slow speed. Or is it so ?
                            >
                            >Regards.
                            >
                            >develop <develop@...> wrote:
                            >Hello Magic Developer,
                            >You did upgrade Magic? e.g. from 5.0 to 8.3? Why not Btrieve too? When you
                            >have 5 or less users the Pervasive-Workgroup is not very expensive, but runs
                            >great.
                            >Regards, Teun van Unen - UNDIX InformatieSystemen - Netherlands

                            Steven G. Blank
                            Salt Lake City, Utah USA
                          • develop
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 2 8:18 AM
                              Hi Magician,
                              That's the problem. I had the same problem and migrated Btrieve to
                              Pervasive.SQL : performance problems are over now.
                              Success, Teun