Re: Novell and Long files names

  • David Angel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 1999
      You can fix it in v3.12 too.

      David Angel.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Beny Yaron <ortal@...>
      To: <magicu-l@onelist.com>
      Sent: Jueves 1 de Julio de 1999 12:55 a.m.
      Subject: Re: [magicu-l] Novell and Long files names

      >From: "Beny Yaron" <ortal@...>
      >
      >Hi Kevin,
      >Which version of Novell you use. If it's 3.12 you have to upgrade to 3.20
      >at least because v3.12 doesn't support long files names and 3.20 has a
      patch
      >that fix it
      >Beny Yaron
      >Ortal (1993) ltd
      >ortal@...
      >http://www.ortal.co.il

    • Gijs van Ballegooijen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
        Hi,

        From novell 3.12 and up you can use long file names by adding the name space OS/2
        to the volumes on your system.

        One-time console command
        ADD NAME SPACE OS2 to SYS:

        In version 4 and 5 this same name space is called LONG so
        ADD NAME SPACE LONG to SYS:

        if you like it you can even add Apple/Mac names to the same files. And this is by design and
        not a patch.

        Succes,

        Gijs van Ballegooijen
        SPB Software bv.

        Still a Novell fan after rebooting my NT server for more than 100 times because i just touched
        the network properties or something like that.

      • Bruce Davis
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 1999
          If it is Pre 4.11, load the os2 name space, if 4.11 load the long name space, and then add the name space to the specific volumes and viola. A reboot is recommended also. If it is 3.11 (not Y2K ready), there are some additional steps, all documented on Novell's support web site.

          Hope this helps

          Bruce Davis
          bruce@...
          MIS Manager, CNE

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 1999
            Netware 3.12 3.2 4.x support long name. Ask your lan manager to add name
            space.
            Netware 5.x support long name as default.

            At 07:55 01/07/99 +0200, you wrote:
            >From: "Beny Yaron" <ortal@...>
            >
            >Hi Kevin,
            >Which version of Novell you use. If it's 3.12 you have to upgrade to 3.20
            >at least because v3.12 doesn't support long files names and 3.20 has a patch
            >that fix it
            >Beny Yaron
            >Ortal (1993) ltd
            >ortal@...
            >http://www.ortal.co.il

            Shimshon Farkash CNE3 CNE4
            TECHNION EMAIL : shimshon@...
            A.D.P. DEPARTMENT VOICE : 972-4-829 2253
            HAIFA - ISRAEL FAX : 972-4-832 7693