RE: [magicu-l] Setting Variable properties with 1 expression

  • Garland, Shaun
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 12:34 AM
      Juggler

      Using v8.3 (since you gave no details of your environment) but applicable
      for 7.x too I think:

      Select all controls on your form that you need conditional visibility EXCEPT
      for variable A.
      Select Link Parent command. Your cursor will resemble a chain link with a
      small arrow. Now click on variable A. All child links will be highlighted
      in a purple-like colour. That's it. Any conditions you make on Var A will
      apply to all it's children. To find out what is the parent for a control
      simply select the control and from the commands menu select Indicate Parent.

      Regards

      Shaun (who wishes he was as good as Craig Martin - but sadly realises not
      all are born equal)

      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 12:39 AM
        Sorry Juggler, I misinterpreted your original message.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 7:14 AM
          At 01:43 AM 5/1/2001 +0800, you wrote:

          >Dear Magic Users,
          >
          >I have a form with many variables of type Alpha. I want it to be visible whenever the value of the variable is not blank, I can set the Visible property like this:
          >
          >Visible property of Variable A: A <> ''
          >
          >but I have to set all the variables' property. How can I set all the variable visible property with one expression?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Juggler

          If you want ALL controls to be visible when any ONE variable is not blank, you could use the following expression in each control's Visible property:

          TRIM (A & B & C & D & ...) <> ''

          To possibly save a little time during execution and to satisfy my own personal affinity for neatness, I would probably refine this approach by Selecting a logical virtual at the bottom of the task's Record Main and name it something like "VisiblityFlag". Then I'd Init it with the above expression, and reference this logical virtual in each control's Visible Property.

          If this is not what you want, then I don't understand the question.
          Steven G. Blank
          Salt Lake City, Utah USA