Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [magicu-l] Pervasive error 46

Expand Messages
  • Gerard Bartels
    Hello Steven, Thanks for your suggestions. The sort-files are not created in a pre-V6 fomat. I will try the Memory Gateway and hope that this will solve our
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1 12:00 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello Steven,

      Thanks for your suggestions. The sort-files are not created in a
      pre-V6 fomat. I will try the Memory Gateway and hope that this will
      solve our problems.
      Still, I have got a unhappy feeling about Pervasive SQL 7. But
      since nobody suggested to update to Pervasive SQL 2000, I won't spend
      my money on this yet.

      Gerard.

      > To: magicu-l@yahoogroups.com
      > From: "Steven G. Blank" <sgblank@...>
      > Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:29:43 -0700
      > Reply-to: magicu-l@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [magicu-l] Pervasive error 46

      > At 08:56 AM 1/30/2001 +0100, you wrote:
      > >Hello Magicians,
      > >
      > ><snip>
      > >By the way, after almost every error 46 there is a temporary file in
      > >the TEMP-directory of the user who experienced this error. The first
      > >character is a "_" (underscore) and the extention is ".DAT". I
      > >suppose Magic creates this file.
      >
      > Gerard,
      >
      > There is a TON of overhead involved both to open a file and to close a file. Thus, as you have found, avoiding opening and closing files unnecessarily is a good thing. As a matter of good programmi>
      > Files using the naming convention '_*.DAT' are temporary files that Magic creates when a Magic Task invokes a Sort. If such a file often exists when the FMFE 46 appears, then it's a pretty safe conc>
      > In Magic 8, I would suggest creating a new Database that uses the Memory Gateway, and then changing Settings -> Environment -> Preferences -> Database for Sort/Temporary to use this Database. This s>
      > In Magic 5, obviously you don't have the benefit of a Memory Gateway. However, there may be some steps that can be taken to achieve the same goal of reducing traffic and stress resulting from sort/t> Finally, check to see if the Pervasive.SQL server engine is configured to create files in pre-v6 format. If it is, change it quick so it creates files in at least v6.x format. If these sort/temp fi> ----------------------------
      > Steven G. Blank
      > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      > ----------------------------
      >
      >
      >
      >
      G. Bartels
      --------------------------------------------------
      Meilink Beheer Borculo bv
      P.O.box 9
      7270 AA Borculo
      The Netherlands
      Phone : 0031 545 271561
      Fax : 0031 545 271135
    • Steven G. Blank
      ... Gerard, One more thing to check: If a workstation is using the Btrieve Workstation Engine v6.15 to access a server-based file, instead of the Pervasive.SQL
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1 6:45 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        At 09:00 AM 2/1/2001 +0100, you wrote:
        >Hello Steven,
        >
        >Thanks for your suggestions. The sort-files are not created in a
        >pre-V6 fomat. I will try the Memory Gateway and hope that this will
        >solve our problems.
        >Still, I have got a unhappy feeling about Pervasive SQL 7. But
        >since nobody suggested to update to Pervasive SQL 2000, I won't spend
        >my money on this yet.


        Gerard,

        One more thing to check: If a workstation is using the Btrieve Workstation Engine v6.15 to access a server-based file, instead of the Pervasive.SQL 7 client requestor, and this workstation attempts to write to the file at the same time that another workstation who IS using the v7 requestor simply has the file open, then the first workstation will receive a status 46.

        To verify that ALL workstations are indeed using the v7 requestor, use the Pervasive Monitor to check their connections. It is not necessary to run any one particular program - just a simple browser is all that's required. One by one, run an online browser program on a single workstation to review a single server-based data file. Then, while the workstation has data on its screen, check the Pervasive Monitor's Active Users screen to see if that workstation and file appears. If they do appear, then you can be assured that the workstation is using the requestor. However, if the workstation AND file do NOT appear, then that workstation is using the v6.15 WSE and needs to be reconfigured.

        BTW, assuming you're at Service Pack 5, I assure you that this problem is NOT an indication of any defect in Pervasive.SQL 7 per se. However, there ARE other good reasons for upgrading to Pervasive.SQL 2000. :)
        ----------------------------
        Steven G. Blank
        Salt Lake City, Utah USA
        ----------------------------
      • Lindon Thompson
        ... ... Hi Steve, Like what is a good reason? I got P7 as soon as it was available, I haven t had any problems with it. However I think some Novell 5
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1 1:54 PM
        • 0 Attachment
          "Steven G. Blank" wrote:

          >

          <snip>

          > However, there ARE other good reasons for upgrading to Pervasive.SQL 2000. :)
          > ----------------------------
          > Steven G. Blank
          > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
          > ----------------------------

          Hi Steve,

          Like what is a good reason? I got P7 as soon as it was available, I haven't had any problems with it. However I think some Novell 5 users with P2000 have had problems, mainly with Arserve. It's nearly AU$ 8,000 for 150 user upgrade, and that's about what I paid for P7. I really would like to hear what your thoughts are.

          Lindon
        • Don
          I tried 2000 to solve this problem and it didn t work. If I find a solution I ll let you know. Don ... From: Gerard Bartels [mailto:g.bartels@exportpack.nl]
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1 2:19 PM
          • 0 Attachment
            I tried 2000 to solve this problem and it didn't work. If I find a solution
            I'll let you know.

            Don

            -----Original Message-----
            From: Gerard Bartels [mailto:g.bartels@...]
            Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 12:00 AM
            To: magicu-l@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [magicu-l] Pervasive error 46

            Hello Steven,

            Thanks for your suggestions. The sort-files are not created in a
            pre-V6 fomat. I will try the Memory Gateway and hope that this will
            solve our problems.
            Still, I have got a unhappy feeling about Pervasive SQL 7. But
            since nobody suggested to update to Pervasive SQL 2000, I won't spend
            my money on this yet.

            Gerard.

            > To: magicu-l@yahoogroups.com
            > From: "Steven G. Blank" <sgblank@...>
            > Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:29:43 -0700
            > Reply-to: magicu-l@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [magicu-l] Pervasive error 46

            > At 08:56 AM 1/30/2001 +0100, you wrote:
            > >Hello Magicians,
            > >
            > ><snip>
            > >By the way, after almost every error 46 there is a temporary file in
            > >the TEMP-directory of the user who experienced this error. The first
            > >character is a "_" (underscore) and the extention is ".DAT". I
            > >suppose Magic creates this file.
            >
            > Gerard,
            >
            > There is a TON of overhead involved both to open a file and to close a
            file. Thus, as you have found, avoiding opening and closing files
            unnecessarily is a good thing. As a matter of good programmi>
            > Files using the naming convention '_*.DAT' are temporary files that Magic
            creates when a Magic Task invokes a Sort. If such a file often exists when
            the FMFE 46 appears, then it's a pretty safe conc>
            > In Magic 8, I would suggest creating a new Database that uses the Memory
            Gateway, and then changing Settings -> Environment -> Preferences ->
            Database for Sort/Temporary to use this Database. This s>
            > In Magic 5, obviously you don't have the benefit of a Memory Gateway.
            However, there may be some steps that can be taken to achieve the same goal
            of reducing traffic and stress resulting from sort/t> Finally, check to see
            if the Pervasive.SQL server

            engine is configured to create files in pre-v6 format. If it is, change it
            quick so it creates files in at least v6.x format. If these sort/temp
            fi> ----------------------------
            > Steven G. Blank
            > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
            > ----------------------------
            >
            >
            >
            >
            G. Bartels
            --------------------------------------------------
            Meilink Beheer Borculo bv
            P.O.box 9
            7270 AA Borculo
            The Netherlands
            Phone : 0031 545 271561
            Fax : 0031 545 271135
          • Steven G. Blank
            ... Lindon, Well, here s the short list: .Workgroup Engine .Improved ODBC Interface .Increased Performance .Administrative-level Server Security .Updated
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1 4:25 PM
            • 0 Attachment
              At 08:54 AM 2/2/2001 +1100, you wrote:
              >Hi Steve,
              >
              >Like what is a good reason? I got P7 as soon as it was available, I haven't had any problems with it. However I think some Novell 5 users with P2000 have had problems, mainly with Arserve. It's nearly AU$ 8,000 for 150 user upgrade, and that's about what I paid for P7. I really would like to hear what your thoughts are.
              >
              >Lindon


              Lindon,

              Well, here's the short list:

              .Workgroup Engine
              .Improved ODBC Interface
              .Increased Performance
              .Administrative-level Server Security
              .Updated Utilities
              .Btrieve UNICODE Data Types
              .True NULL Support
              .Support for long filenames with embedded blanks

              For a little more detail on these features as well as links to more info, refer to:

              http://www.pervasive.com/products/psql/features.tml

              Whether or not these justify AU$ 8,000 is, well, another kettle of fish. :)

              Steve
              ----------------------------
              Steven G. Blank
              Salt Lake City, Utah USA
              ----------------------------
            • Rob Westland
              Hi group, One of our customers is running Pervasive 2000i on a Novel server. Recently they get frequently error 46. The only solution is restarting the server
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 25, 2004
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi group,

                One of our customers is running Pervasive 2000i on a Novel server.
                Recently they get frequently error 46. The only solution is restarting
                the server (maybe just restarting Pervasive, but that's not tried).
                Does anyone have a idea?

                TIA,
                Rob
              • Sherman Levine
                Are they perhaps running a backup during work hours? If a file is locked as read-only and Pervasive attempts to write to it, you ll get error 46 ... From: Rob
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 25, 2004
                • 0 Attachment
                  Are they perhaps running a backup during work hours? If a file is locked as
                  read-only and Pervasive attempts to write to it, you'll get error 46


                  ----- Original Message -----
                  From: "Rob Westland" <magicrob@...>
                  To: "magicu-l" <magicu-l@yahoogroups.com>
                  Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 4:33 AM
                  Subject: [magicu-l] Pervasive error 46


                  > Hi group,
                  >
                  > One of our customers is running Pervasive 2000i on a Novel server.
                  > Recently they get frequently error 46. The only solution is restarting
                  > the server (maybe just restarting Pervasive, but that's not tried).
                  > Does anyone have a idea?
                  >
                  > TIA,
                  > Rob
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                • Polgár Ferenc
                  ... Or some datafile were copied back from a CD? I usually have problems with CTL file. Regards Ferenc [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 25, 2004
                  • 0 Attachment
                    At 12:29 2004/6/25, you wrote:

                    >Are they perhaps running a backup during work hours? If a file is locked as read-only and Pervasive attempts to write to it, you'll get error 46

                    Or some datafile were copied back from a CD? I usually have problems with CTL file.

                    Regards
                    Ferenc


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • Rob Westland
                    No, the backup is running at night. But the problem is always in the morning, so I think the problem is somewhere at the backup.... Rob
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 25, 2004
                    • 0 Attachment
                      No, the backup is running at night. But the problem is always in the
                      morning, so I think the problem is somewhere at the backup....

                      Rob

                      Sherman Levine wrote:
                      > Are they perhaps running a backup during work hours? If a file is locked as
                      > read-only and Pervasive attempts to write to it, you'll get error 46
                      >
                      >
                      > ----- Original Message -----
                      > From: "Rob Westland" <magicrob@...>
                      > To: "magicu-l" <magicu-l@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 4:33 AM
                      > Subject: [magicu-l] Pervasive error 46
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >>Hi group,
                      >>
                      >>One of our customers is running Pervasive 2000i on a Novel server.
                      >>Recently they get frequently error 46. The only solution is restarting
                      >>the server (maybe just restarting Pervasive, but that's not tried).
                      >>Does anyone have a idea?
                      >>
                      >>TIA,
                      >>Rob
                      >>
                      >>
                      >>
                      >>
                      >>Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >>
                      >>
                      >>
                      >>
                      >>
                      >>
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                    • Rob Westland
                      That s also not the cause of the problem. Thanks for the thinking Rob.
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 25, 2004
                      • 0 Attachment
                        That's also not the cause of the problem.
                        Thanks for the thinking

                        Rob.

                        Polgár Ferenc wrote:
                        > At 12:29 2004/6/25, you wrote:
                        >
                        >
                        >>Are they perhaps running a backup during work hours? If a file is locked as read-only and Pervasive attempts to write to it, you'll get error 46
                        >
                        >
                        > Or some datafile were copied back from a CD? I usually have problems with CTL file.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        > Ferenc
                        >
                        >
                        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.