Btrieve News

  • Heidi Schuppenhauer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2000
      Since no one has mentioned this, I wasn't sure how many folks had seen
      it -- Dale forwarded it to me and I thought it was certainly
      worth mentioning!

      Sometimes you wonder just what is going on behind the scenes ...

      -- Heidi (sans Chronicles)

      --------------------------

      Canadian Market News from Market News Publishing, 07/14/2000 12:24

      PERVASIVE SOFTWARE INC - Restructures To Focus On Its Core Database Business
      [402]

      Pervasive Software Inc. announced that it is restructuring the company to focus
      on its core database business. Under the restructuring, Pervasive has reduced
      its workforce by about 100 employees or approximately 28 percent of the
      company's worldwide workforce. The majority of the reductions occurred in
      Pervasive's Toronto offices and its Austin headquarters. These cost reduction
      actions will immediately result in a reduced operating expense structure for the
      company.

      Also as part of the restructuring, Pervasive is writing down certain assets,
      primarily intangibles, related to its Tango product line. The impact on earnings
      is estimated to be between $16 million and $17 million and will be recorded in
      the fourth fiscal quarter ending June 30, 2000. The company will continue to
      support its Tango customers and is also exploring strategic alternatives for the
      product line.

      "This restructuring is an essential step in Pervasive's goal of returning to
      profitability and enhancing shareholder value," said Ron Harris, president and
      CEO of Pervasive Software. "Our strategy going forward is to focus our resources
      and energies on our core database business. We plan to enhance our flagship
      Pervasive.SQL database products and enable our large base of application
      providers and partners to deliver reliable, low-cost-of-ownership solutions that
      leverage Web standards and technologies."

      "The decision to let go of even a single Pervasive employee was a difficult one
      to make," added Harris. "Our employees are a smart and dedicated group, and
      among the very best in the software industry. We are providing outplacement
      assistance and other services to affected employees to facilitate their
      transition."

      Heidi Schuppenhauer
      Trillium Custom Software, Inc.
      http://www.trillium-sw.com
      (425) 397-8000

      The Sorcerer's Apprentice -- the easy way to learn Magic
      Now shipping!
    • Heidi Schuppenhauer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2000
        It's only forgivable if you have an MD after your name ...
        but I suppose a short retort is better than a long intestine.

        -- Heidi