Re: SERIAL PORT COMMUNICATION

  • Ian Whybrow
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 1998
      For one that works now but costs you money, try Open Sesame Systems in Toronto or Montreal (Contact Don Ferguson or Moe Nawaz in
      Toronto at donf@... or -- oops -- can't find Moe's email) or contact Craig Martin who is in the final stages of
      building similar DLL at craig_martin@.... Craig also has a great multi-purpose DLL called Hot Fudge that you may like to
      check into at http://www.craigmartin.com

      Ian Whybrow
      Logistics Technologies
      Authors of Shipment Commander

      socopa Informatique cherre wrote:

      > From: "socopa Informatique cherre" <socopa.inform@...>
      >
      > Hi there !
      >
      > Can anyone tell me where i could find some DLL that read/write ( with
      > parity, baud, protocol, ...) a serial port with Magic V8 ?
      > Opening a COM like a standard file doesn't work very well :(
      >
      > A lots of Thanx !

      > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      > Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame or insult others.
      > Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...
    • Craig Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 1998
        Ian Whybrow writes:
        >For one that works now but costs you money,
        >try Open Sesame Systems in Toronto or Montreal
        > (Contact Don Ferguson or Moe Nawaz in
        >Toronto at donf@... or -- oops
        > -- can't find Moe's email) or contact Craig Martin
        >who is in the final stages of
        >building similar DLL at craig_martin@....
        >Craig also has a great multi-purpose DLL called
        >Hot Fudge that you may like to
        >check into at http://www.craigmartin.com

        Ah, who needs a marketing department when I have
        Ian and the mail list... :-)

        Sorry, my 'holiday' got in the way but the elves are
        now busy cooking up some new Fudge goodies
        just in time for Xmas. It may even include what you say.

        You're beginning to make all this Hot Fudge stuff
        seem like a Microsoft product, Ian :-)
        (ie. pre-announced by several years).
        Apart from the fact I have less money and less bugs than
        Microsoft that is.

        Maybe Mr. Eric Gagne wants to post his forthcoming
        comms thing as part of Hot Fudge and we start a group
        happening with Magic dll-madness unleashed
        on an unsuspecting universe.
        ("Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm")

        Now how can I become Bodhisattva with
        all this ego-stroking.... (very big grin)

        Craig
      • Dave Persons
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 1998
          If we take this approach, we could end up writing another Linux!

          Craig Martin wrote:

          > From: Craig Martin <craig_martin@...>
          >
          > Ian Whybrow writes:
          > >For one that works now but costs you money,
          > >try Open Sesame Systems in Toronto or Montreal
          > > (Contact Don Ferguson or Moe Nawaz in
          > >Toronto at donf@... or -- oops
          > > -- can't find Moe's email) or contact Craig Martin
          > >who is in the final stages of
          > >building similar DLL at craig_martin@....
          > >Craig also has a great multi-purpose DLL called
          > >Hot Fudge that you may like to
          > >check into at http://www.craigmartin.com
          >
          > Ah, who needs a marketing department when I have
          > Ian and the mail list... :-)
          >
          > Sorry, my 'holiday' got in the way but the elves are
          > now busy cooking up some new Fudge goodies
          > just in time for Xmas. It may even include what you say.
          >
          > You're beginning to make all this Hot Fudge stuff
          > seem like a Microsoft product, Ian :-)
          > (ie. pre-announced by several years).
          > Apart from the fact I have less money and less bugs than
          > Microsoft that is.
          >
          > Maybe Mr. Eric Gagne wants to post his forthcoming
          > comms thing as part of Hot Fudge and we start a group
          > happening with Magic dll-madness unleashed
          > on an unsuspecting universe.
          > ("Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm")
          >
          > Now how can I become Bodhisattva with
          > all this ego-stroking.... (very big grin)
          >
          > Craig

          > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame or insult others.
          > Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...

          David D. Persons
          IS Manager
          The Vacation Store
          (757) 437-7516
          (757) 437-8290 (fax)

          * Vacations for couples. Vacations for singles. Cruises. *
          * All-inclusive vacations. Vacations for families. *
          * With The Vacation Store at 1-800-TAKE-OFF, dozens of *
          * remarkable vacation choices are just a phone call away:-) *
        • Craig Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 18, 1998
            Dave Persons writes:
            >If we take this approach, we could end up writing another Linux!

            Never under estimate the power of the force!
            May the Fudge be with you.
            Craig

            ("A journey of a thousand leagues must
            first begin with a single step")
          • Ian Whybrow
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 18, 1998
              Craig:

              I have but one thing to say --- ITS ABOUT BLOODY TIME!! :-) :-) :-)

              Ian

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 18, 1998
                I'm in DAY2 of my 21 days to Delphi Geniusness and soon after I shall commence contributing to the Fudging of Magic or is that the
                Magic of Fudging. The new LINUX shall be called Magic Fudge or should it be Hot Fudged Magic or Magically Fudgical Heat or..........

                Ian Whybrow
                Logistics Technologies

              • Ira Gershenhorn
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 19, 1998
                  The Dutch members of this group are unlikely to be able to correctly
                  pronounce the 'dg' in Fudge. It will come out a bit harder, but perhaps,
                  that is your intention. :)

                • Eric Gagne
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 21, 1998
                    Craig Martin wrote:

                    > Maybe Mr. Eric Gagne wants to post his forthcoming
                    > comms thing as part of Hot Fudge and we start a group
                    > happening with Magic dll-madness unleashed
                    > on an unsuspecting universe.
                    > ("Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm")

                    Hi Craig,

                    That's a good idea. I don't know how advance your are in your communication functions (they're probably better than mine, i'm
                    not very good in C) but I will send you my source later this week. I still have some timing problems in the "Receive" function but
                    it should not take me long to fix it.

                    This code also includes check digit calculation function for UPC, EAN and UCC-128. I'm sure that will make some magicians
                    happy.

                    Eric
                  • Craig Martin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 21, 1998
                      Eric Gagne writes:

                      >That's a good idea. I don't know how advance your are in your
                      >communication functions (they're probably better than mine, i'm
                      >not very good in C)

                      I think one of the most enlightened comments I've seen
                      recently on this forum was something Tom Martin
                      wrote about acknowledging others for being
                      "where you've been, where you are or where you will
                      be" in terms of ability. Step by step.
                      I'm not sure you should use me as a yardstick either;
                      that's way too limiting.

                      >but I will send you my source later this week.
                      >I still have some timing problems in the "Receive" function but
                      >it should not take me long to fix it.
                      >This code also includes check digit calculation function for
                      >UPC, EAN and UCC-128. I'm sure that will make some
                      >magicians happy.
                      >Eric

                      Great. I'm hoping others (the usual suspects, whom
                      I will hassle in due course, you know who you are!) will
                      also donate useful utilities, dlls and code to our
                      freeware fun.

                      Craig Martin
                      UK