Re: Big Tables in PervasiveSQL

  • Tim Downie
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2000
      Hi,

      I have just been through this exercise with tables around 8 000 000
      records. Novell 3.11(even though PSQL is not supposed to run on it), win98
      95 and NT 4.0 workstations.

      One week live and I have had not one single file manager problem, I also
      have not had to reboot the novell box(if it was nt I would hate to think).

      The main thing I did was to recreate my tables in btrieve 7.x format, I
      think this is a must for stability and performance, this can be a headache
      with big table but is worth doing.

      My biggest table is 1.8GB imported and growing everyday, pervasives max
      table size is now huge, I cant remember what exactly.

      Tim Downie

      Tim Downie

      >From: "Peter Klein" <selectp@...>
      >To: magicu-l@onelist.com
      >Subject: [magicu-l] Big Tables in PervasiveSQL
      >Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:03:09 +0200
      >
      >Hi friends,
      >
      >we are planning to change our database from Btrieve6.15 to
      >PervasiveSQL. Has anybody some experiences how Pervasive
      >handles big tables (containing 10 000 000 records or more for
      >example)? Are there some problems or limitations?
      >(Our customer has Novel server 4.11 and W95, W98 workstations)
      >
      >Thank in advance
      > Peter Klein

    • Robert Fuchs
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2000
        > From: "Tim Downie" <tim_downie@...>
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have just been through this exercise with tables around 8 000 000
        > records. Novell 3.11(even though PSQL is not supposed to run
        > on it), win98
        > 95 and NT 4.0 workstations.
        >
        > One week live and I have had not one single file manager
        > problem, I also
        > have not had to reboot the novell box(if it was nt I would
        > hate to think).

        I have the opposite experience: PSQL is more stable and reliable on NT.

        > The main thing I did was to recreate my tables in btrieve 7.x
        > format, I
        > think this is a must for stability and performance, this can
        > be a headache
        > with big table but is worth doing.

        Did you do the recreation with Magic or with PSQL tools?

        kindest regards

        Robert
      • Tim Downie
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2000
          Hi,

          I recreated the tables locally on an NT server using magic as there was some
          logic to be applied to the new records.

          Tim

          >From: "Robert Fuchs" <software@...>
          >To: <magicu-l@onelist.com>
          >Subject: RE: [magicu-l] Big Tables in PervasiveSQL
          >Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:17:29 +0100
          >
          > > From: "Tim Downie" <tim_downie@...>
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I have just been through this exercise with tables around 8 000 000
          > > records. Novell 3.11(even though PSQL is not supposed to run
          > > on it), win98
          > > 95 and NT 4.0 workstations.
          > >
          > > One week live and I have had not one single file manager
          > > problem, I also
          > > have not had to reboot the novell box(if it was nt I would
          > > hate to think).
          >
          >I have the opposite experience: PSQL is more stable and reliable on NT.
          >
          > > The main thing I did was to recreate my tables in btrieve 7.x
          > > format, I
          > > think this is a must for stability and performance, this can
          > > be a headache
          > > with big table but is worth doing.
          >
          >Did you do the recreation with Magic or with PSQL tools?
          >
          >kindest regards
          >
          >Robert

        • Peter Klein