Re: [magicu-l] Re: Accessing remote database

  • Andreas Sedlmeier
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
      Basically this is the only option you have with Magic. Lease a server from a
      web hoster and install everything what you need on that machine - esp. the
      Magic applications. Accessing MySQL from remote by means of a Magic gateway
      is not really an option. Even if you get high bandwith to there you'll
      suffer from very poor performance due to latency and all these things. It
      _might_ be tolerable but for sure this line is pretty expensive then.

      What you could do is: Look into the replication features of MySQL to
      replicate the clients databse to your site once a while for reporting and
      these things.

      In Germany I am not aware of any web hoster which would allow you to
      intstall Magic applications on their hosts but I did also never talk about
      this with one of them. Usually you rent your box there and do what Noel
      suggests: Access that machine by means of remote terminal services.

      Thats not that expensive.

      Andreas

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
        Hi Jim,

        I have some systems like this operational. When your database is really
        small, you could use remote access to the database (if the hosting provider
        permits this).

        For normal sized to large size databases, it's better to use the MySQL
        replication features as andreas suggested. You can define the web database
        as a master and replicate this database to a slave in your local network.
        When the replication is set up correctly, updates are near instantaneous
        replicated to you local slave database. We use this to get the orders
        entered on a website into our erp system.

        Regards,

        Gijs van Ballegooijen.