mglock

  • Rob Westland
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
      I noticed that Magic created the file mglock.dat
      I thought this wasn't needed anymore, because we use only the
      MSSQL-gateway and the memory-gateway. I just did an install of our new
      version at a client. They had 1 directory for Magic and all ecf-files
      and thing like that and 1 directory for the data. The program directory
      was read-only. So it didn't work because Magic wanted to create
      mglock.dat in the ecf-directory. The solution was to put an alternative
      path in the database-gateway.

      My question:
      Does Magic create mglock.dat because of some settings?
      And what are the recomended ini-settings for MSSQL, especially ISAM
      transactions and ISAM-force locking within transactions

      Rob
    • ola_ip
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hi Rob,

        I am not in the secrets of the Gods, but at least historically, this file has been used for:

        - Licensing control.
        - Resource Locking function: Lock() and UnLock().

        We always entertain the possible need of Magic to have to create this file.

        As for the ISAM Settings, I doubt that they mean anything when working with the MSSQL gateway.

        Omar,

        --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, Rob Westland <magicrob@...> wrote:

        > I noticed that Magic created the file mglock.dat
        > I thought this wasn't needed anymore, because we use only the
        > MSSQL-gateway and the memory-gateway. I just did an install of our new
        > version at a client. They had 1 directory for Magic and all ecf-files
        > and thing like that and 1 directory for the data. The program directory
        > was read-only. So it didn't work because Magic wanted to create
        > mglock.dat in the ecf-directory. The solution was to put an alternative
        > path in the database-gateway.
        >
        > My question:
        > Does Magic create mglock.dat because of some settings?
        > And what are the recomended ini-settings for MSSQL, especially ISAM
        > transactions and ISAM-force locking within transactions
        >
        > Rob

      • Gijs van Ballegooijen
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2010
          Hi Omar,

          The lock() and unlock() functions typically use another lock file, the name
          of this lock file is set in the ini setting 'ResourceLockFilePath' and
          normally contains a full path and filename where the 'LockFile' only
          contains a filename. By default 'Lockfile's are created in every directoy
          containing magic files and for the lock() and unlock() files to work
          correctly you should use one and only one resource lock file.

          Regards,

          Gijs van Ballegooijen.

          2010/2/1 ola_ip <omar.lamin@...>

          > Hi Rob,
          >
          > I am not in the secrets of the Gods, but at least historically, this file
          > has been used for:
          >
          > - Licensing control.
          > - Resource Locking function: Lock() and UnLock().
          >
          > We always entertain the possible need of Magic to have to create this file.
          >
          > As for the ISAM Settings, I doubt that they mean anything when working with
          > the MSSQL gateway.
          >
          > Omar,
          >
          > --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, Rob Westland <magicrob@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I noticed that Magic created the file mglock.dat
          > > I thought this wasn't needed anymore, because we use only the
          > > MSSQL-gateway and the memory-gateway. I just did an install of our new
          > > version at a client. They had 1 directory for Magic and all ecf-files
          > > and thing like that and 1 directory for the data. The program directory
          > > was read-only. So it didn't work because Magic wanted to create
          > > mglock.dat in the ecf-directory. The solution was to put an alternative
          > > path in the database-gateway.
          > >
          > > My question:
          > > Does Magic create mglock.dat because of some settings?
          > > And what are the recomended ini-settings for MSSQL, especially ISAM
          > > transactions and ISAM-force locking within transactions
          > >
          > > Rob

        • Rob Westland
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2010
            When using MSSQL, only 1 mglock.dat is created and it's in the directory
            where the ecf-files are.
            Can I change the path for the 2 databases I use (MSSQL and memory) to 1
            different location?

            Rob

            Gijs van Ballegooijen wrote:

            > Hi Omar,
            >
            > The lock() and unlock() functions typically use another lock file, the
            > name
            > of this lock file is set in the ini setting 'ResourceLockFilePath' and
            > normally contains a full path and filename where the 'LockFile' only
            > contains a filename. By default 'Lockfile's are created in every directoy
            > containing magic files and for the lock() and unlock() files to work
            > correctly you should use one and only one resource lock file.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Gijs van Ballegooijen.
            >
            > 2010/2/1 ola_ip <omar.lamin@...
            > <mailto:omar.lamin%40informaplus.com>>
            >
            > > Hi Rob,
            > >
            > > I am not in the secrets of the Gods, but at least historically, this
            > file
            > > has been used for:
            > >
            > > - Licensing control.
            > > - Resource Locking function: Lock() and UnLock().
            > >
            > > We always entertain the possible need of Magic to have to create
            > this file.
            > >
            > > As for the ISAM Settings, I doubt that they mean anything when
            > working with
            > > the MSSQL gateway.
            > >
            > > Omar,
            > >
            > > --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magicu-l%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Rob Westland <magicrob@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I noticed that Magic created the file mglock.dat
            > > > I thought this wasn't needed anymore, because we use only the
            > > > MSSQL-gateway and the memory-gateway. I just did an install of our new
            > > > version at a client. They had 1 directory for Magic and all ecf-files
            > > > and thing like that and 1 directory for the data. The program
            > directory
            > > > was read-only. So it didn't work because Magic wanted to create
            > > > mglock.dat in the ecf-directory. The solution was to put an
            > alternative
            > > > path in the database-gateway.
            > > >
            > > > My question:
            > > > Does Magic create mglock.dat because of some settings?
            > > > And what are the recomended ini-settings for MSSQL, especially ISAM
            > > > transactions and ISAM-force locking within transactions
            > > >
            > > > Rob

          • Brookes, Alan
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2010
              Hi Rob.

              You can change the path for the lock file of each Database under
              Properties -> Options tab -> Lock path

              HTH

              Alan

              When using MSSQL, only 1 mglock.dat is created and it's in the directory

              where the ecf-files are.
              Can I change the path for the 2 databases I use (MSSQL and memory) to 1
              different location?

              Rob

              Gijs van Ballegooijen wrote:

              > Hi Omar,
              >
              > The lock() and unlock() functions typically use another lock file, the

              > name
              > of this lock file is set in the ini setting 'ResourceLockFilePath' and
              > normally contains a full path and filename where the 'LockFile' only
              > contains a filename. By default 'Lockfile's are created in every
              directoy
              > containing magic files and for the lock() and unlock() files to work
              > correctly you should use one and only one resource lock file.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Gijs van Ballegooijen.
              >
              > 2010/2/1 ola_ip <omar.lamin@...
              > <mailto:omar.lamin%40informaplus.com>>
              >
              > > Hi Rob,
              > >
              > > I am not in the secrets of the Gods, but at least historically, this

              > file
              > > has been used for:
              > >
              > > - Licensing control.
              > > - Resource Locking function: Lock() and UnLock().
              > >
              > > We always entertain the possible need of Magic to have to create
              > this file.
              > >
              > > As for the ISAM Settings, I doubt that they mean anything when
              > working with
              > > the MSSQL gateway.
              > >
              > > Omar,
              > >
              > > --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magicu-l%40yahoogroups.com>,

              > Rob Westland <magicrob@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I noticed that Magic created the file mglock.dat
              > > > I thought this wasn't needed anymore, because we use only the
              > > > MSSQL-gateway and the memory-gateway. I just did an install of our
              new
              > > > version at a client. They had 1 directory for Magic and all
              ecf-files
              > > > and thing like that and 1 directory for the data. The program
              > directory
              > > > was read-only. So it didn't work because Magic wanted to create
              > > > mglock.dat in the ecf-directory. The solution was to put an
              > alternative
              > > > path in the database-gateway.
              > > >
              > > > My question:
              > > > Does Magic create mglock.dat because of some settings?
              > > > And what are the recomended ini-settings for MSSQL, especially
              ISAM
              > > > transactions and ISAM-force locking within transactions
              > > >
              > > > Rob

              Sent by a member of the e2v group of companies. The parent company, e2v technologies plc, is registered in England and Wales. Company number; 04439718. Registered address; 106 Waterhouse Lane, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 2QU, UK. This email and any attachments are confidential and meant solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender and then deleting this copy and the reply from your system without further disclosing, copying, distributing or using the e-mail or any attachment. Thank you for your cooperation.