Re: [magicu-l] [OT] Pervasive.SQL V10 side by side with Btrieve

  • develop
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 12:25 AM
      Thanks, Keith, for your reply, but I am wondering why it's possible to
      read V9 files with the Btrieve (I think V6 version), but not to read V9
      files with the V8 version. Or did I misunderstand you?
      Teun.

      Keith Canniff schreef:

      > Yes, they should have no problem running on the same PC and both can
      > access
      > the Pervasive SQL v9 data.
      >
      > You shouldn't have to change anything for either versions.
      >
      > From: magicu-l@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magicu-l%40yahoogroups.com>

    • sherman levine
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 2:30 AM
        Teun

        Pervasive file structure has changed over time.
        Each version of pervasive can create files in its own native structure, and
        is backwards compatible to a certain degree, and you can set each pervasive
        install to create files in various lower versions.

        As I recall, P9 will read P6 files but not write to them (you'll get an
        error 46) so any P6 files will need to be rebuilt (by the P9 utility) in
        order to be modified by P9.

        P8 cannot read or write P9 files.
        If you're planning to create a file at one site (running P9) and copy it to
        another site (running P8) be sure to set P9 to create new files in P8
        format. (I do that here, for example, so file I create don't crash clients'
        P8 systems)

        Magic 5 works fine with P9.

        So...
        Pick a version of Pervasive.
        Install it on all your computers (including the ones which run Magic 5). I
        think the current Pervasive recommendation is to convert the server first,
        then the clients.

        Upconvert any old files which are incompatible with the new Pervasive
        version.

        In the Magic5 magic.ini, change mglock.dat to some other filename, since the
        mglock.dat used by magic 5 has a different structure from mglock.dat used by
        newer Magic versions. I generally use c:\temp as the lockfile path, and turn
        off magic locking in the database properties (in all Magic versions), since
        Pervasive locking alone works fine with some minor nuances (I think it
        doesn't identify duplicate indexes immediately (only after you attempt to
        leave a line) and there's one other difference which I always forget, but
        Steve always remembers)

        Sherm

        > Thanks, Keith, for your reply, but I am wondering why it's possible to
        > read V9 files with the Btrieve (I think V6 version), but not to read V9
        > files with the V8 version. Or did I misunderstand you?
        > Teun.
        >
        > Keith Canniff schreef:
        > >
        > > Yes, they should have no problem running on the same PC and both can
        > > access
        > > the Pervasive SQL v9 data.
        > >
        > > You shouldn't have to change anything for either versions.
        > >
        > > From: magicu-l@yahoogroups.com <mailto:magicu-l%40yahoogroups.com>

      • develop
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 3:07 AM
          Thanks, Sherman, that's clear and very nice Pervasive is working that
          way, so my first action at client site is installing Pervasive V9 and
          convert the Btrieve files.
          Thanks again and regards,
          Teun.

          P.S. I'll wait for Steve (what's the age difference between Steve and
          you that Steve did not forget and you do !o) :-D )

          sherman levine schreef:

          > Teun
          >
          > Pervasive file structure has changed over time.
          > Each version of pervasive can create files in its own native
          > structure, and
          > is backwards compatible to a certain degree, and you can set each
          > pervasive
          > install to create files in various lower versions.
          >
          > As I recall, P9 will read P6 files but not write to them (you'll get an
          > error 46) so any P6 files will need to be rebuilt (by the P9 utility) in
          > order to be modified by P9.
          >
          > P8 cannot read or write P9 files.
          > If you're planning to create a file at one site (running P9) and copy
          > it to
          > another site (running P8) be sure to set P9 to create new files in P8
          > format. (I do that here, for example, so file I create don't crash
          > clients'
          > P8 systems)
          >
          > Magic 5 works fine with P9.
          >
          > So...
          > Pick a version of Pervasive.
          > Install it on all your computers (including the ones which run Magic 5). I
          > think the current Pervasive recommendation is to convert the server first,
          > then the clients.
          >
          > Upconvert any old files which are incompatible with the new Pervasive
          > version.
          >
          > In the Magic5 magic.ini, change mglock.dat to some other filename,
          > since the
          > mglock.dat used by magic 5 has a different structure from mglock.dat
          > used by
          > newer Magic versions. I generally use c:\temp as the lockfile path,
          > and turn
          > off magic locking in the database properties (in all Magic versions),
          > since
          > Pervasive locking alone works fine with some minor nuances (I think it
          > doesn't identify duplicate indexes immediately (only after you attempt to
          > leave a line) and there's one other difference which I always forget, but
          > Steve always remembers)
          >
          > Sherm

        • Steven G. Blank
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1 9:12 AM
            Teun,

            Sherm's and my ages are not that different; we were both in the fifth
            grade when Vice President Johnson was sworn in as President of the
            United States, after the President had been assassinated. The only
            difference is that when I was in the fifth grade, the President was
            John F. Kennedy whereas when Sherm was in the fifth grade, the
            President was Abraham Lincoln.

            Pervasive PSQL v9.5 and v10 can read AND write all file formats from
            version 9.5 all the way back to AND INCLUDING version 6. Pervasive
            PSQL v9.5 and v10 can read, but NOT write, file formats PRIOR TO
            version 6 (namely, versions 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1). Pervasive PSQL v10
            did not introduce a new file format; the current file format is v9.5.

            Whether duplicate index values are checked as the user leaves the
            field or as the user leaves the record has nothing to do with the
            version of Pervasive nor with the type of eDeveloper Locking
            selected. When the DBMS is Btrieve, duplicate index values will
            always be checked as soon as the user leaves the field when the
            "Check Index" option is checked in Databases, Database Properties, on
            the Options tab. When the "Check Index" option is NOT checked,
            duplicate index values will not be checked until the user tries to
            leave the record.

            The only downside to setting eDeveloper Locking = None is that one
            cannot use Share = Read; one must always user either Share = Write or
            Share = None.

            Steve Blank

            P.S. I'll be honest: I did not remember any of the above statements;
            I copied and pasted them from prior messages.

            :-)

            ----------------------------
            Steven G. Blank
            Salt Lake City, Utah USA
            ----------------------------
          • develop
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1 9:50 AM
              Steven,

              Thank you for your extended explanation.

              'I did not remember any of the above statements; I copied and pasted
              them from prior messages.'
              But it's a plus that you do remember there were prior messages *:-O*.

              'file formats PRIOR TO version 6 (namely, versions 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1)'
              Thanks that you give me the version numbers prior to version 6 otherwise
              I had a big problem to find out *:-D*.

              Teun.