Re: Blob trouble !

  • Erik Hagendijk
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Wynand,

      Magic 9.4 SP8 can call Oracle 9 stored procedures and pass Blob
      values in and receive Blob values back.

      My guess is that your Magic Blob field is defined as a LONG RAW in
      Oracle. If that is indeed the case, then converting the field in the
      Oracle table from LONG RAW to Oracle's BLOB type should solve your
      problem (assuming your Oracle stored proc and your Magic direct sql
      task are OK).

      Note that Magic V9 still uses Oracle's LONG RAW as the default for
      Magic Blob fields (for Oracle 7 legacy purposes), but that
      Oracle's 'newer' BLOB attribute (since Oracle 8) is supported by
      Magic V9 as well. I suggest you create any new tables with Oracle
      tools, use LOBs (BLOB, CLOB, NCLOB, BFILE) instead of LONG RAWs and
      use 'Get Def' in Magic as required.

      Hope this helps,

      Erik

      Erik Hagendijk
      M2J Software LLC
      www.magic2java.com

      --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, "Wynand Stockel" <WynandS@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Magic 9.4 SP 8.
      > Oracle 9.
      >
      > I want to know, can you call an oracle proc from Magic, sending a
      Blob
      > input and receiving a Blob output back. Since yesterday I can not
      > achieve this, tried everything and can't see the problem. Blob
      received
      > in proc lands there as NULL, and when a valid Blob in the proc is
      send
      > back, NULL is received back in Magic. Any other formats, number,
      > varchar2, date, no problems.
      >
      > All GUI styles set as Rich edit.
      >
      > Txs
      >
      > ------------
      > Discovery Holdings Limited
      >
      > Registration number: 1999/007789/06
      >
      > This message and any attachments are confidential and intended
      solely for the addressee. If you have received this message in error,
      please notify Discovery immediately, telephone number +27 11 529
      2888. Any unauthorised use; alteration or dissemination of the
      contents of this email is strictly prohibited. In no event will
      Discovery or the sender be liable in any manner whatsoever to any
      person for any loss or any direct, indirect, special or consequential
      damages arising from use of this email or any linked website,
      including, without limitation, from any lost profits, business
      interruption, loss of programmes or other data that may be stored on
      any information handling system or otherwise from any assurance that
      this email is virus free even if Discovery is expressly advised of
      the possibility of such damages. Discovery is an Authorised Financial
      Services Provider. A full list of directors is available on our
      website at
      > https://www.discovery.co.za/index_login.jhtml?
      p_content=/investor_relations/directorate.jhtml alternatively, to
      obtain a full list of Directors via email, please email
      directors_list@...