Re: Btrieve Error 46 on server thread - hangs up all users

  • lokarekavita
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
      Dear group users,

      I have been facing the same problem for one client...and have not yet
      solved the same

      I have another observation - all the uses have win xp but one is
      using windows 2000. The moment he starts work , this error message
      appears and reappears more often, till all users shut down and
      restart !

      kavita
      -- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, sherman levine <slevine@...> wrote:

      > Jaymer,
      >
      > One user's opening the file as read-only causing a subsequent user
      to crash
      > during updates has I'm almost certain been fixed in the more recent
      (past 5
      > years) versions of Pervasive - but attempting to update a v5 format
      file
      > with Pervasive 9 will certainly cause termination.
      >
      > Sherm

    • Omar Lamin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi Kavita,

        One other possible cause for error 46 is a workstation engine
        competing with the server engine to access the same file on the
        server.

        To test if this might be your problem, you may go to the Pervasive
        control center client configuration of every workstation and set the
        following settings:

        1) Configuration/Client/Access/Local = Off

        2) Configuration/Client/Access/Target Engine = Server Only

        Restart the workstation engine and make sure the new settings did
        persist.

        You may start with the station from which you seem to get a lot of
        problems and see if that makes a difference.

        Hoping it helps,

        Omar,
        --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, "lokarekavita" <lokarekavita@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear group users,
        >
        > I have been facing the same problem for one client...and have not
        yet
        > solved the same
        >
        > I have another observation - all the uses have win xp but one is
        > using windows 2000. The moment he starts work , this error message
        > appears and reappears more often, till all users shut down and
        > restart !
        >
        > kavita
        > -- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, sherman levine <slevine@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Jaymer,
        > >
        > > One user's opening the file as read-only causing a subsequent
        user
        > to crash
        > > during updates has I'm almost certain been fixed in the more
        recent
        > (past 5
        > > years) versions of Pervasive - but attempting to update a v5
        format
        > file
        > > with Pervasive 9 will certainly cause termination.
        > >
        > > Sherm

      • Steven G. Blank
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
          Omar,

          I fully agree that a possible cause for status 46 is a local
          workgroup engine competing with a remote server engine for access to
          remote data files. However, the client's Target Engine setting has
          absolutely no influence in this regard.

          The only time that the Target Engine setting comes into play is in
          the rare situation when BOTH a workgroup edition product and a server
          edition product are installed and running on one and the SAME
          computer, and a locally-running application attempts to access a data
          file that is stored locally.

          In this case, the Target Engine setting determines to WHICH of the
          two locally available engines the client requestor should direct its request.

          The ONLY way to pro-actively prevent a local workgroup engine from
          assuming ownership of a remote data file, thereby forcing the client
          application to rely solely on the remote server engine, is to create
          a gateway locator file that contains the server's computer name, in
          the directory wherein the data file is stored, and flag the file as Read-Only.

          Gateway locator files are simple text files named ~PVSW~.LOC which
          need to exist in every folder in which shared data files are stored
          and which, as I say, contain only the server-computer's computer name.

          Steve Blank

          ----------------------------
          Steven G. Blank
          Salt Lake City, Utah USA
          ----------------------------
        • Omar Lamin
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
            Hi Steve,

            You are right, of course, particularly about the Target Engine
            setting.

            My suggestion below was more one to diagnose and see if this is the
            case here than a proposition for the ultimate fix.

            I do debate however that the gateway locator file is the ONLY way to
            pro-actively prevent workgroup and server engine competitions.
            In a context where the application has no need to make access to any
            local table, I find it just simpler and cleaner to shut all the
            local engines off which also avoids the unfortunate situation
            addressed here.

            Not that there is anything wrong working with the gateway locator way
            you mentioned. I would settle for ULTIMATE rather than ONLY.

            Do we have a deal? :-)

            Omar,
            --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, "Steven G. Blank" <sgblank@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > >Restart the workstation engine and make sure the new settings did
            > >persist.
            > >
            > >You may start with the station from which you seem to get a lot of
            > >problems and see if that makes a difference.
            > >
            > >Hoping it helps,
            > >
            > >Omar,
            > >--- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, "lokarekavita" <lokarekavita@>
            > >wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Dear group users,
            > > >
            > > > I have been facing the same problem for one client...and have
            not
            > >yet
            > > > solved the same
            > > >
            > > > I have another observation - all the uses have win xp but one is
            > > > using windows 2000. The moment he starts work , this error
            message
            > > > appears and reappears more often, till all users shut down and

          • Steven G. Blank
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
              OK, Omar - I will stipulate that changing the Use Local Microkernel
              Engine setting to Off would also prevent a local engine from assuming
              ownership of a remote data file - any data file, in fact.

              However, that then suggests yet a third way of preventing a local
              engine from assuming ownership of a remote data file: uninstall it
              and/or install only the client.

              :-)

              Steve Blank

              Steven G. Blank