Re: [magicu-l] Digest Number 7911

  • Andreas Sedlmeier
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2007
      Hi Daniel.

      Its strange that TP of Main program did not work for you as you write
      because this is the place where you put a call to an application startuo
      program.

      Since TP of main program is executed whenever a program starts(always) you
      typically condition the execution of an application startup program with an
      expression containing the RunMode() function.

      Best regards,

      Andreas.

      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2007
        Daniel,

        As per previous replies the Main program should be the place. We used to do
        just like you in Magic 8 and have a menu/security system which opened as
        soon as the application opened (in Runtime).
        When we moved to Magic 9 we put a call to that program in the Task Prefix of
        the main program and it all worked perfectly. The RunMode function can be
        good to control it further or Heidi's idea also sounds good of a logical
        name for testing.
        I've not tried it in v10 but I'm sure it works the same way.

        Rosie

        On 01/05/07, Administration <cigam98@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > Upgrading from v8 to v9 and 10.
        >
        > I think we will have to rephrase our previous inquiry. Maybe other
        > developers don't auto run a program on opening an Application. We have our
        > own Security and Menu System written..
        >
        > How do you get v9 and v10 to automatically start a program within an
        > project (application) on entry to that project (application).
        >
        > The Project (application) can be started automatically by an entry in the
        > INI and we require, from within each of our projects (applications), a
        > program to run at start up. It is not the first program in the list as we
        > lay our programs out in a certain order that is programmer friendly for
        > miantenance such as all Reports together, Sub Programs, Mains etc. Much
        > easier when exporting and importing.
        >
        > We have already tried a CALL entry in the MAIN, number 1 program, in
        > Record Prefix, Task Prefix and Suffix's. It does not work until you have run
        > one program from the list and then it pops up on ext from the run program.
        >
        > Our method has worked in all previous versions of magic but they have
        > taken out the Start Program from the Application (project) properties in 9
        > and 10.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Daniel
        >
        > D'mensions
        > Where quality begins ..........

      • Andy Jerison
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2007
          Hi Daniel,

          Think of the Main Program as a program that is always the top level of every
          program in a project. When you start a project, the Main Program's Task
          Prefix executes. This happens even if you start a program from the Program
          Repository, which is not always what you want; conditioning Main Program TP
          operations on the RunMode() function can control that behavior.

          Can you put together a simple project demonstrating the problem and put it
          in the group's files section? Be sure to include any required data, color
          and font files and logical names -- or better yet, don't use any of those in
          the sample. I'm sure we can figure out the problem.

          Andy

        • Omar Lamin
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2007
            Hi Daniel,

            However,I believe you that you have a real problem.
            Lets try one thing at a time.

            1) Do you you know about the
            ApplicationStartup = R
            Magic INI setting. 'R' means start in 'Runtime'
            Maybe you want to try this.

            2) Lets try something simple in the TP of the main program:
            verify expression 'Hello World!'.
            What do you get?

            3) Try also putting a Verify expression in the TP of your menu program.
            That will confirm or infirm that it is called or not. Maybe it is
            called but it ends prematurely for some reason?

            Hoping this helps isolating something,
            Omar,

            --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, "Omar Lamin" <olamin@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > there is nothing the old Start program property offered that the Main
            > Program does not. However, the main program offers great things that
            > the start program property did not (Global variables for example). So
            > instead of searching for something else, I suggest trying to
            > understand why it does not seem to work for you.
            >
            > 1) I do not understand your concern about program positioning. When
            > you place a call in the main program, let say Task Prefix. You pick
            > the program from anywhere in the program repository. The order does
            > not matter and even if the program moves, the call program reference
            > will follow automatically like every regular call program operation I
            > have ever seen in Magic.
            >
            > 2)"It does not work until you have run one program"
            > That would be true in development mode. So it was in V8, unless you
            > started the application in runtime mode. However, in runtime mode,
            > the first thing the engine does is run the main program Task Prefix,
            > If you have a call there with a condition that evaluates to true, it
            > will do it.
            >
            > 3) "and then it pops up on ext from the run program."
            > This is a little thing to adjust, which I agree is different from
            > before. By default it will run the Main Program every time you press
            > <F7> to execute a program from the program repository. This can be
            > annoying. However, as mentioned before (I believe it was Heidi)
            > the `Runmode()' function can be used to control this side effect.
            > Very easy once you read the help about it.
            > Is there anything specific you do not understand about this function?
            >
            > Hoping this helps,
            >
            > Omar,
            >

            > --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, Administration <cigam98@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all
            > >
            > > Upgrading from v8 to v9 and 10.
            > >
            > > I think we will have to rephrase our previous inquiry. Maybe other
            > developers don't auto run a program on opening an Application. We
            > have our own Security and Menu System written..
            > >
            > > How do you get v9 and v10 to automatically start a program within
            > an project (application) on entry to that project (application).
            > >
            > > The Project (application) can be started automatically by an entry
            > in the INI and we require, from within each of our projects
            > (applications), a program to run at start up. It is not the first
            > program in the list as we lay our programs out in a certain order
            > that is programmer friendly for miantenance such as all Reports
            > together, Sub Programs, Mains etc. Much easier when exporting and
            > importing.
            > >
            > > We have already tried a CALL entry in the MAIN, number 1 program,
            > in Record Prefix, Task Prefix and Suffix's. It does not work until
            > you have run one program from the list and then it pops up on ext
            > from the run program.
            > >
            > > Our method has worked in all previous versions of magic but they
            > have taken out the Start Program from the Application (project)

          • peeping_tom_pl
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2007
              Hi Daniel,

              Most probably you need to make changes mentioned in below thread
              http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/magicu-l/message/108784

              to make Main program work as advertised.

              Best regards
              Przem

              --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, Administration <cigam98@...> wrote:

              > Hi all
              >
              > Upgrading from v8 to v9 and 10.
              >
              > I think we will have to rephrase our previous inquiry. Maybe other
              developers don't auto run a program on opening an Application. We
              have our own Security and Menu System written..

              > How do you get v9 and v10 to automatically start a program within
              an project (application) on entry to that project (application).

              > The Project (application) can be started automatically by an entry
              in the INI and we require, from within each of our projects
              (applications), a program to run at start up. It is not the first
              program in the list as we lay our programs out in a certain order
              that is programmer friendly for miantenance such as all Reports
              together, Sub Programs, Mains etc. Much easier when exporting and
              importing.

              > We have already tried a CALL entry in the MAIN, number 1 program,
              in Record Prefix, Task Prefix and Suffix's. It does not work until
              you have run one program from the list and then it pops up on ext
              from the run program.

              > Our method has worked in all previous versions of magic but they
              have taken out the Start Program from the Application (project)
              properties in 9 and 10.

              > Thanks in advance
              >
              > Daniel
              >
              > D'mensions
              > Where quality begins ..........

              http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

            • cigam98
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                Thanks a Million Przem

                Our Menu System now runs when you start up. Changes to be made :( as
                per my last email but at least one more hurdle overcome so my day is
                happier.

                We do not touch that part of the INI. As it loads is how it runs for
                us. We do little changes.

                Did not see any mention of that in the Install Vid.

                Again, many thanks.

                Regards

                Daniel

                --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, "peeping_tom_pl"
                <peeping_tom_pl@...> wrote:

                > Hi Daniel,
                >
                > Most probably you need to make changes mentioned in below thread
                > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/magicu-l/message/108784
                >
                > to make Main program work as advertised.
                >
                > Best regards
                > Przem

              • peeping_tom_pl
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                  Good old MSE ...

                  This behavior was introduced in one of SPs for 9.4 (or 9.3)
                  and was never properly documented IMHO.
                  It's easy to forget when you fixed it,
                  but it regularly strikes people new to v.9/v.10 :-)

                  BTW. I am from Poland.
                  Greetings! :-)
                  Przem

                • Frank.Van.Herreweghe@telenet.be
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                    hmmm daniel, with the way you wrote your first mail you put everyone on the wrong leg (as we say) :-S

                    >Did not see any mention of that in the Install Vid.

                    There is a lot more that s not mentioned :-)
                    You just upgraded from v8 to v10 so take your time to read the ReleaseNotes.pdf and the PastReleaseNotes.pdf
                    Then you will see it is mentioned somewhere in a service Pack/version ;-)

                    regards
                    Frank Van Herreweghe

                  • cigam98
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                      Frank

                      My apologies for our level of terminology. I thought I stated that we
                      are going from v8 to v9 and then to v10.

                      9 and 10 Concurrently as we only have an v9 Eval License to get from
                      8.

                      Rechecked v10 PDF's and also cannot see that INI field mentioned
                      anywhere in any of the release notes or Mastering Magic. If you look
                      at the INI in v10 the field is not there in anycase.

                      Regards

                      Daniel

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                        Daniel,

                        it is in v9 PastReleasenotes p87. I'll send them privately.

                        regards
                        Frank Van Herreweghe