Font and Colour Problem

  • Administration
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi all again

      Version 10 Studio.

      In the Application Properties (presume this is supposed to be Project Properties CTL+SHIFT+P)you are supposed to be able to enter a Colour and Font Files for that Project, similar to older versions.

      OK! We go into the correct Properties and try to ZOOM, as it shows ZOOM is available, to pick up Print ,Colour, Font, Keyboard etc file but we keep getting the message that ?? file could not be opened.

      If we go in and change the .INI via EDIT we can see the Files but as soon as we closeV10 and start it again we get errors that it cannot open Colour Font etc files even before we open an application.
      If we change the INI back to the original it opens the V10 OK but we are left with having to use one Font Coloour and Keyboard Mapping File which is not suitable.

      We use our own Colour Keyboard and Font files, keeping the Magic Reserved Fonts etc, in each of our different Modules (Projects).
      Are we missing something again in the installation?

      TIA

      Daniel.

      D'mensions
      Where quality begins ..........

    • Keith Canniff
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
        Daniel,

        First, when you go into v10, before opening a project, click on
        Options/Settings/Environment, then click on the "External" tab. Here's where
        you define the default colour and font tables.

        As for the Application Properties, you have to define the full path and file
        names here (without the Zoom). Once you have the path and file name set
        correctly, the Zoom will take you into the colour or font table you've
        pointed to. This is another good reason for using logical names. Once they
        are set correctly , you can use them here so you don't make a keying
        mistake.

        HTH

[...]

      • Heidi Schuppenhauer
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
          Logical names are really useful for color and font files, since
          sometimes it's unclear what is the "current" directory. V10
          has a couple of nice built-in logical names you can use
          for things like this:

          %EngineDir%
          %WorkingDir%
          %TempDir%

          Also the function ProjectDir().

          -- Heidi

          On 3/1/07, Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...> wrote:

          > Daniel,
          >
          > First, when you go into v10, before opening a project, click on
          > Options/Settings/Environment, then click on the "External" tab. Here's
          > where
          > you define the default colour and font tables.
          >
          > As for the Application Properties, you have to define the full path and
          > file
          > names here (without the Zoom). Once you have the path and file name set
          > correctly, the Zoom will take you into the colour or font table you've
          > pointed to. This is another good reason for using logical names. Once they
          > are set correctly , you can use them here so you don't make a keying
          > mistake.
          >
          > HTH

        • paulearthlink
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
            IHHO, will remote maintenance be as easy as transferring the xml exports and
            importing them?

            PAUL

            _____

            On 3/1/07, Keith Canniff <kcanniff@gmail. <mailto:kcanniff%40gmail.com> com>
            wrote:

            > Daniel,
            >
            > First, when you go into v10, before opening a project, click on
            > Options/Settings/Environment, then click on the "External" tab. Here's
            > where
            > you define the default colour and font tables.
            >
            > As for the Application Properties, you have to define the full path and
            > file
            > names here (without the Zoom). Once you have the path and file name set
            > correctly, the Zoom will take you into the colour or font table you've
            > pointed to. This is another good reason for using logical names. Once they
            > are set correctly , you can use them here so you don't make a keying
            > mistake.
            >
            > HTH

          • paulearthlink
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
              Heidi,

              Still a problem with buttons for lookups (with "..." in them) showing up as
              XP-style in Studio but NOT in runtime.

              I increased the size of the data element but still no go. Any ideas?

              Paul

              _____

              wrote:

              > Daniel,
              >
              > First, when you go into v10, before opening a project, click on
              > Options/Settings/Environment, then click on the "External" tab. Here's
              > where
              > you define the default colour and font tables.
              >
              > As for the Application Properties, you have to define the full path and
              > file
              > names here (without the Zoom). Once you have the path and file name set
              > correctly, the Zoom will take you into the colour or font table you've
              > pointed to. This is another good reason for using logical names. Once they
              > are set correctly , you can use them here so you don't make a keying
              > mistake.
              >
              > HTH

            • Heidi Schuppenhauer
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
                I'm not sure exactly what you are asking?

                It sort of depends what you are remotely maintaining. If
                it is a customer, I wouldn't use the source XML files at all. I'd
                use the ECF. They run faster and they are, in a sense,
                "compiled" which is just safer. Transferring the ECF is
                really simple: much easier than importing an XML export.

                -- Heidi

                On 3/1/07, paulearthlink <pauldoyon@...> wrote:

                > IHHO, will remote maintenance be as easy as transferring the xml exports
                > and
                > importing them?
                >
                > PAUL
                >
                > _____
                >
                > .

              • Heidi Schuppenhauer
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
                  I have no idea. If I had to take a guess, I'd guess there is something
                  different in the configuration. Like perhaps you aren't reading the INI
                  file that you think you are reading.

                  I've had some weird problems occasionally where the system
                  seemed to be confused about the location of the INI file. Or else
                  I was confused, sometimes it's hard to tell which. There is
                  the issue that sometimes properties are set in Application
                  Properties, or, if it is a component, in the Environment of that
                  component. And you can have a local Magic.ini file in the .edp
                  directory that overrides the "global" one in the engine directory.
                  And sometimes the INI is specified on the shortcut used to
                  start the application, in which case it might not even be called
                  "Magic.ini". It really helps, after you get familiar with all this,
                  to have some standard setup that you, and everyone else
                  in the company is familiar with.