RE: Text based pritning

  • Yuval Papish
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 30, 1999
      Hello Tom,
      Try to define a new port (Printer properties ->
      details tab -> add a port). The port should be named
      lpt1.dos and printing through it makes windows to use
      the port more in a dos way.

      Yuval.

      <HR>
      From: "Tom Kelly" <tkelly99@...>

      Hello Ian - I appreciate your help, but no success
      yet. This is what I have:

      PROBLEM: No output of text based reports. No matter
      what I do the results
      are the same. The user sees something flash at the
      bottom of the screen, but
      can't see what it is for sure. I put the local printer
      on Pause but the job
      NEVER shows up in the que. But I can copy text files
      to the lpt1 (copy
      test.txt lpt1) and that works fine.

      PRINTER: Epson Stylist InkJet P2
      CONNECTED TO: Gateway 2000 computer - Parallel Lpt1
      port
      PARALLEL OUTPUT MODE: Options were Output Only, Bi
      Directional and ECP (I
      tried the first 2)
      MAGIC PRINTER QUE: have tried blank, lpt1:,
      copied/pasted actual printer
      name.
      DRIVER: have not done anything with it. Really don't
      want to change it as
      all other apps work fine

      Any advice is welcome. I am learning some things
      though. -Tom

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 1999
        Try setting the printer que to default

        Tom Kelly wrote:

        > From: "Tom Kelly" <tkelly99@...>
        >
        > Hello Ian - I appreciate your help, but no success yet. This is what I have:
        >
        > PROBLEM: No output of text based reports. No matter what I do the results
        > are the same. The user sees something flash at the bottom of the screen, but
        > can't see what it is for sure. I put the local printer on Pause but the job
        > NEVER shows up in the que. But I can copy text files to the lpt1 (copy
        > test.txt lpt1) and that works fine.
        >
        > PRINTER: Epson Stylist InkJet P2
        > CONNECTED TO: Gateway 2000 computer - Parallel Lpt1 port
        > PARALLEL OUTPUT MODE: Options were Output Only, Bi Directional and ECP (I
        > tried the first 2)
        > MAGIC PRINTER QUE: have tried blank, lpt1:, copied/pasted actual printer
        > name.
        > DRIVER: have not done anything with it. Really don't want to change it as
        > all other apps work fine
        >
        > Any advice is welcome. I am learning some things though. -Tom

      • Ian Whybrow
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 1999
          Tom:

          If you create a new driver to the printer that is generic, it will not
          effect any
          other programs as they will still be directed to their specific or
          default driver.
          A single printer can have many drivers pointing to it. Where is you see
          this
          Parallel Output stuff? The only place you need to look for ECP is in the
          BIOS and
          chances are very slim that changing from ECP to EPP will have any effect
          on
          anything else. It one of those wonderful Windoze "improvements" that
          seem to have
          no benefit on any normal stuff but cause great harm to some of the
          oldies but
          goodies we like to stick to. Anyway, I would set up my own print driver
          that is
          using the generic driver and is named something simple like MAGIC and
          then place
          MAGIC in the queue and have the MAGIC driver point to lpt1 or whatever.
          Try
          changing the BIOS if it is set to ECP and let us all know what happens.
          GOOD LUCK!

          Ian Whybrow
          Logistics Technologies

        • kevin weber
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 1999
            Another Option to try is putting "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\LPT1" in the
            expression column of the I/O table when printing. Hope you get it
            to work

            Tom Kelly wrote:

            > From: "Tom Kelly" <tkelly99@...>
            >
            > Ian - I am printing to a local printer. I thought that the que name could be
            > blank or lpt1: in this case. It is very interesting that on my own personal
            > computer that I can put ANYTHING in the que name and it will print to the
            > local printer. So I am wondering if there is another component to this
            > issue.
            >
            > Also how can I chack/change from ECP to EPP?
            >
            > Much thanks - Tom

          • Dave Johnston
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 1999
              If you haven't put a name in the Printers Table that exactly matches a
              printer, Magic will print to the default printer, which is probably why
              everything is going there.

              Dave Johnston Excellent Systems Ltd
              Telephone: (09) 377-1314 Facsimile: (09) 373-4624

              Tom Kelly wrote:

              > From: "Tom Kelly" <tkelly99@...>
              >
              > Ian - I am printing to a local printer. I thought that the
              que name could be
              > blank or lpt1: in this case. It is very interesting that
              on my own personal
              > computer that I can put ANYTHING in the que name and it
              will print to the
              > local printer. So I am wondering if there is another
              component to this
              > issue.
              >
              > Also how can I chack/change from ECP to EPP?
              >
              > Much thanks - Tom

              --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor
              ----------------------------

              BETA TEST expertcity.com's new online, real-time, technical
              support service!
              Let our live experts help you with your computer now.
              IT'S FREE! ! !
              ">Click Here</a>

              If you have any problems or questions please contact
              peter.stewart@...
            • Tom Kelly
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 6, 1999
                Hello Yuval

                I tried this on my computer and I ended up with a port names:
                'lpt1.dos (Unknown local port)'

                Is this ok?

                Really struggling with this problem. I am having a difficult time adding
                print drivers to this machine too as the users can't find their Win95 cd
                either.

                Thanks - Tom

                =====

                If you have any problems or questions please contact
                peter.stewart@...
              • Petrover, Guy A.
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 6, 1999
                  Try to hardcode in the expression for your IO file 'prn:' or 'lpt1:' if that
                  doesn't work I don't know what will..;-)
                  Guy

                  Tom Kelly wrote:

                  > From: "Tom Kelly" <tkelly99@...>
                  >
                  > Ian - I am printing to a local printer. I thought
                  that the que name could
                  be
                  > blank or lpt1: in this case. It is very interesting
                  that on my own
                  personal
                  > computer that I can put ANYTHING in the que name and
                  it will print to the
                  > local printer. So I am wondering if there is
                  another component to this
                  > issue.
                  >
                  > Also how can I chack/change from ECP to EPP?
                  >
                  > Much thanks - Tom

                  ?? BETA TEST our free, real-time technical support service with live
                  experts !!
                  go to EXPERTCITY.COM
                  Here</a>

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 6, 1999
                    Hi,
                    I'm afraid I misled you, the string you should type is
                    "LPT1.DOS:". Print window's test page after you've
                    allocated the new port to the printer.
                    The '(Unknown local port)' should appear.

                    <HR>

                    =====
                  • Tom Kelly
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 6, 1999
                      Hello Yuval:
                      I made the change and it works on my computer, I still get the 'Unknown
                      local port' though. Is that ok? I have not tried it on my clients computer
                      yet but will today and let you know -Tom

                      --- Tom Kelly <tkelly99@...> wrote:
                      > Hello Yuval
                      >
                      > I tried this on my computer and I ended up with a
                      > port names:
                      > 'lpt1.dos (Unknown local port)'
                      >
                      > Is this ok?
                      >
                      > Really struggling with this problem. I am having a
                      > difficult time adding
                      > print drivers to this machine too as the users can't
                      > find their Win95 cd
                      > either.
                      >
                      > Thanks - Tom

                      <HR>

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 6, 1999
                        Thanks Guy:

                        This looks like a change that I would have to make in the 'IO files' of all
                        my tasks that print. I have to think about this one.

                        Regards - Tom

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 6, 1999
                          Well I did try it on my clients computer and they got an error - something
                          like - 'can not open page/file'? SO I'm back to the drawing board.

                          What really confuses me is that I can copy a text file to the lpt1 port at
                          the dos prompt (copy test.txt lpt1) and it works fine. - Tom

                          --- Tom Kelly <tkelly99@...> wrote:
                          > Hello Yuval
                          >
                          > I tried this on my computer and I ended up with a
                          > port names:
                          > 'lpt1.dos (Unknown local port)'
                          >
                          > Is this ok?
                          >
                          > Really struggling with this problem. I am having a
                          > difficult time adding
                          > print drivers to this machine too as the users can't
                          > find their Win95 cd
                          > either.
                          >
                          > Thanks - Tom

                          <HR>

                          =====

                          If you have any problems or questions please contact
                          peter.stewart@...
                        • Gustavo C SANTIAGO
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 7, 1999
                            Hello:
                            I wish to add to this thread...

                            I think you should to isolate the problem (You say that fail on 2 PC).
                            1- Are your printer working from Notepad ? or print the windows
                            selftest ?
                            2- What is the length-name? Try until 8 chars.
                            3- Is your printer driver DOS complaint ? Try using Text Generic (make
                            a name until 8 chars length).
                            4- Make a simple report program. Then put the option Files to the task
                            and try Console, Standard File, Printer (declare the correct one), and
                            Graphic Printer.(Sure text based form !).
                            5- What is your Magic version and language?. Try english one.

                            Hope this help, I stay on the way...

                            Regards...
                            --
                            Gustavo C SANTIAGO
                            gcsantiago@...
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 7, 1999
                              Thanks for all your help magicians. I decided to break down and print to a
                              file and then iocopy to \lpt1 and it works great.

                              I know there were a lot of issues involved with this, but this seemed the
                              sure fire one because my client was way remote and I knew the copy to lpt1
                              worked from dos. I also took the opportunity to implement some system
                              variables that would give me much more flexibility in the future for
                              printing different tasks to different printers. I knew that I would
                              eventually need this and am glad that I did it now. Thank you again all!

                              Regards - Tom