Force Exit - Record

  • Robert Skellern
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
      I have a Control Suffix Event that includes some conditional logic to go
      update some records.

      However prior to executing this logic the Current Data View record needs to
      be updated.

      So I've created an Event called ForceRecordSuffix with Trigger type=None &
      Force Exit = Record

      Then in the Control Suffix Event I'm Raising this User Event in the hope
      that this should execute the Record Suffix. But no go I can't get the RS to
      execute using this technique.

      I can do it the 'old' way by Raising Modify Rec in the RM but this Force
      Exit seems a more elegant way but I can't figure it.

      Help anyone please.

      Robert

      ____________________________________
      Maxim Professional Services Group
      Maxim Software Solutions
      PO Box 1186, Rotorua, New Zealand
      Ph Office: 64 7 350 1174, Fax: 64 7 350 1185, Mobile: 027 4747 556
      <http://www.maximsoftware.co.nz> www.maximsoftware.co.nz
    • Ed Ezell
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
        In the control suffix, raise events record flush and a user event, say
        "update records". Be sure that Wait=No for both. Create a handler for
        "update records" and put your update stuff there.

        _____

        <http://www.maximsof <http://www.maximsoftware.co.nz> tware.co.nz>
        www.maximsoftware.co.nz

      • Frank.Van.Herreweghe@telenet.be
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
          robert,

          if you want the current record to be saved, it is easier to set a flag. Have in the record main a virtual v-Action and in the Control Suffix you can update it to 'DoAction' and next Raise Event ScreenRefresh.
          This will force the record suffix to be executed and the record will be re-read. In the Record Prefix you can check in Block with condition v-Action<>'' and do in the block the necessary actions.
          This way the record is saved and without locks (normally).
          Do NOT forget to update the v-Action with '' as last operation in the Block.

          regards
          Frank VAn Herreweghe

        • Sherman Levine
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
            Frank,
            Record flush rather than screen refresh?
            Sherm

            > if you want the current record to be saved, it is easier to set a flag.
            Have in the record main a virtual v-Action and in the Control Suffix you can
            update it to 'DoAction' and next Raise Event ScreenRefresh.
            > This will force the record suffix to be executed and the record will be
            re-read. In the Record Prefix you can check in Block with condition
            v-Action<>'' and do in the block the necessary actions.
            > This way the record is saved and without locks (normally).
            > Do NOT forget to update the v-Action with '' as last operation in the
            Block.

            > regards
            > Frank VAn Herreweghe

          • Rosie Coller
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
              The following method should work...

              In the control suffix do...
              Raise Event 'Record Flush', Internal Event, set to Wait NO
              Raise Event 'Event 1', User Event, set to Wait NO

              Event 1 - In the handler for this call the logic you want.

              I remember Steve Blank giving a talk at the UK magic conference which helped
              me understand why this method, which we had already developed but not
              understood, would work. I'm not sure I can explain it as well as him, but
              here goes...

              It's all to do with Synchronous and Asynchronous events.
              The saving of a record ('Record Flush') is an internal event and ALL
              internal events have to act Asynchronously.
              The wait NO is VERY important as this causes magic to place the events into
              a queue which is processed in order at a later point (Asynchronously).
              These are processed next time the cursor (momentarily) lands on a control.
              It is not possible for a record flush to act in the control suffix, what is
              more the ONLY way to add instructions to happen after the record flush is to
              add them to the Asynchronous event queue.

              So the control suffix adds an Asynchronous event of 'Record Flush' and
              another Asynchronous event of 'Event 1' to the queue. These are NOT
              processed at this time, just added to the queue.
              Once they have been added the control suffix closes and as soon as the
              cursor (momentarily) lands on a control again the 'Record Flush' is
              processed and the record is saved.
              Again the cursor (momentarily) lands on a control and the 'Event 1' is
              processed, including all the logic you want.

              In this way the record is saved and THEN your logic is done and it all
              happens so fast the user does not see the cursor's momentary arrival on each
              control.

              Hope I've got that right and it makes sense.

              Rosie Coller
              FactoryMaster

              On 01/11/06, Frank.Van.Herreweghe@... <
              Frank.Van.Herreweghe@...> wrote:

              > robert,
              >
              > if you want the current record to be saved, it is easier to set a flag.
              > Have in the record main a virtual v-Action and in the Control Suffix you can
              > update it to 'DoAction' and next Raise Event ScreenRefresh.
              > This will force the record suffix to be executed and the record will be
              > re-read. In the Record Prefix you can check in Block with condition
              > v-Action<>'' and do in the block the necessary actions.
              > This way the record is saved and without locks (normally).
              > Do NOT forget to update the v-Action with '' as last operation in the
              > Block.
              >
              > regards
              > Frank VAn Herreweghe

              Thanks,

              Rosie Coller
              FactoryMaster Ltd
              England

            • Rosie Coller
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                I don't know about Frank but we would possibly use a screen refresh AFTER
                the user event.

                All that is needed for your logic to work is the record flush and my gut
                feeling is that there is a higher overhead on a screen refresh. Seeing as
                you may need a screen refresh after the logic in the user event it seems a
                waste to have to do it twice.

                Just me gut feeling.

                Rosie Coller
                FactoryMaster

                --
                Thanks,

                Rosie Coller
                FactoryMaster Ltd
                England

              • Keith Canniff
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Late to the thread, but will this help (straight from the Magic Help)

                  In the Control Suffix, raise a User Event, with Force Exit = Record, which
                  will flush the record for you.

                  Sometimes you need a record to be written before the handler is activated.
                  Therefore, the engine should go to the Record Suffix and modify the record
                  in the database before handling the operations in the handler.

                  By defining a user event with Force Exit=Record the engine is forced to go
                  to the Record Suffix as soon as the event is triggered.

                  1.
                  Zoom from the relevant program to open the Task Execution repository.

                  2.
                  From the Task menu choose User Events to open the User Events repository.

                  3.
                  Create a new line and enter a name for the event in the Description column.

                  4.
                  Set the Force Exit column to Record.

                  _____

[...]

                  <http://www.maximsof <http://www.maximsof <http://www.maximsoftware.co.nz>
                  tware.co.nz> tware.co.nz>
                  www.maximsoftware.co.nz

                • Ed Ezell
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                    I think we've been down this road before. The RS gets executed, but the
                    record is not actually written to disk. When we raised this issue w/MSE,
                    they just changed the help to exclude the 'writes record to disk' part. As I
                    think Andy pointed out, the Force Exit is different in V10--there are pre-
                    and post-record update choices.

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                      Ed,

                      That change may not have made it to production yet. In my copy of the
                      help that came with v9.4sp7a, it still reads as Keith quoted.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                        Rosie,
                        i should check the debugger once carefully between those 2 actions if i have alot of time (that's why you cann't blame me of october's high :-)
                        but i remember in the early days of record flush i had a "serious" problem with it and since then i don't like to use it anymore. I always use Screen Refresh without any problem. Once you got a certain technique in the fingers it is difficult to change those habbits :-s

                        regards
                        Frank Van Herreweghe

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                          Keith,

                          the record is in v9 never written to database with the ForceExit-settings. It is only in v10 that is option is added :-(
                          For me that is one of the main reasons to do the step to v10... but i have others too which i why we still are on v9.4 :-)

                          regards
                          Frank VAn Herreweghe

                        • Ed Ezell
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                            Here's the relevant part of the current (SP7a) help. Note that RS is
                            executed before the handler, but the record is written to disk after the
                            handler. That's the way it has always worked in V9; what they changed was
                            the help, which used to say that the record was written to disk before the
                            handler.

                            *
                            Executes the Record Suffix if the record has been modified

                            *
                            Executes the Event handler

                            *
                            Updates the record in the table if the record was modified

                            _____

                            On 11/1/06, Ed Ezell <ede@... <mailto:ede%40getaod.com> > wrote:
                            > I think we've been down this road before. The RS gets executed, but the
                            > record is not actually written to disk. When we raised this issue w/MSE,
                            > they just changed the help to exclude the 'writes record to disk' part. As
                            > think Andy pointed out, the Force Exit is different in V10--there are pre-
                            > and post-record update choices.
                            >
                            > _____

                          • Omar Lamin
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                              Would it be a good idea if Magic would offer a more generic feature?

                              I would call it: "Commit before" (the name does not really matter)

                              It would be an additional Property for things that launch an other
                              process like:
                              Events, Raise Event, Calls, Referring to a function, Sub-forms
                              (V10)...

                              When this "Commit Before" would be set to 'Yes' on the above
                              operations, the engine would:
                              - GO to execute the Record Suffix.
                              - Write back any change.
                              - Release any lock and transaction at the current level.
                              - Leave the cursor and screen as is.
                              - If and when all of the above succeeded, then launch the next
                              process.
                              If they would have it properly distributed where it counts, it would
                              be an other true RAD feature that would distinguish Magic from others.

                              To me the Force Exit of V9 and V10 are two steps that magic tried to
                              make in the right direction:
                              1) V9 Force Exit= Record: They completely missed the boat on this
                              one. Just ignore, it is totally useless.
                              2) V10: Post Record Update: a real step, but only on events makes it
                              very limited.

                              We need a globally available way to commit everything before we
                              proceed further with anything (not just events) else.

                              Omar,

                              --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, Frank.Van.Herreweghe@... wrote:

                              > Keith,
                              >
                              > the record is in v9 never written to database with the ForceExit-
                              settings. It is only in v10 that is option is added :-(
                              > For me that is one of the main reasons to do the step to v10... but
                              i have others too which i why we still are on v9.4 :-)

                              > regards
                              > Frank VAn Herreweghe

                            • Robert Skellern
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006
                                Thanks Rosie Frank Ed & Co

                                Now that I know 'Force Exit - Record' is useless I've got it working based
                                on your recommendations. Great.

                                Robert

[...]

                                http://www.eset.com
                              • Ed Ezell
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
                                  Again, as Andy pointed out some time back, in V10 you have two new options
                                  for Force Exit. From the Magic help:

                                  Pre Record Update: The event instructs the task to exit the current record
                                  before executing a corresponding handler. On handling such an event the
                                  following sequence will take place:

                                  The engine exits the Edit mode
                                  Updates the variable with the edited date
                                  Recomputes all the values based on the variable
                                  Executes the Variable Change, Control Verification, and Control Suffix logic
                                  units
                                  Executes the Record Suffix if the record has been modified
                                  Executes the Event logic unit
                                  Updates the record in the table if the record was modified
                                  Executes the Record Prefix
                                  Executes the Control Prefix
                                  The engine returns to the Edit mode

                                  Any reference to the record from the Event level will not reflect the
                                  changes in the record, since the record is not yet updated when the Event
                                  level is executed.

                                  Post Record Update: The order of execution of the task's logic unit will be
                                  as follows:

                                  Control Verification
                                  Control Suffix
                                  Record Suffix
                                  Record Update
                                  Record Prefix
                                  Event logic unit
                                  Control Prefix

                                  Any reference to the record from the Event logic unit will reflect the
                                  changes in the record, since the record is already updated when the Event
                                  logic unit is executed.

                                  _____

                                  http://www.eset <http://www.eset.com> com