Re: Enterprise Server on Win 2003 Server

  • sss_mark_sss
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2006
      Hi Dave,
      I think you have to create a new Web Service Extension in IIS for
      the MGrqispi94.dll-file. The name of the extension is irrelevant,
      point it to de mgrqispi94.dll an set it to Allowed.

      Good luck!

      Mark Sanders

      --- In magicu-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Johnston" <dave@...> wrote:

      > Have just installed Enterprise Server 9.4 SP6c on a new Windows
      2003
      > Server. Have a Browser Client application installed on it, but it
      just
      > won't work. Although the Monitor shows that the application has
      started,
      > when we try to run it - on the server itself - it keeps coming
      up 'The
      > Page cannot be found'. We've tried running just
      > '//servername/Magic94Scripts.mgrqispi94.dll?appname', which should
      give
      > a Magic error - but still get this 'Page cannot be found' message.
      >
      > Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? - the
      identical
      > install on a Win2k PC or a WinXP PC works perfectly, no problem at
      all.

      > Thanks
      >
      > Dave Johnston Excellent Systems
      > Ph: (09) 377 1314 Fax: (09) 379 3415
      > Mob: 0274 975 961 Web: www.excellent.co.nz

    • Steve Greenfield
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2006
        Sounds like something that has been discussed on here several times
        recently.

        It could be the change in security settings in IIS V6 on Server 2003.

        Go into IIS Manager and look at Web Service Extensions - is there an entry
        for Magic Broker in the list and is it set to Allowed ?

        Drill down on Magic Broker and check that the list of Required Files
        includes all the Broker DLL's.

        I'm not running a Browser Client application so there may be other things to
        check but I think your problem will lie with the extended security settings.

        Your test to call the broker with no APP or PRGM should return a Broker
        error once you get the security settings correct.

        Regards

        Steve Greenfield
        DataFormation Limited UK

        Have just installed Enterprise Server 9.4 SP6c on a new Windows 2003 Server.
        Have a Browser Client application installed on it, but it just won't work.
        Although the Monitor shows that the application has started, when we try to
        run it - on the server itself - it keeps coming up 'The Page cannot be
        found'. We've tried running just
        '//servername/Magic94Scripts.mgrqispi94.dll?appname', which should give a
        Magic error - but still get this 'Page cannot be found' message.

        Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? - the identical
        install on a Win2k PC or a WinXP PC works perfectly, no problem at all.

        Thanks

        Dave Johnston Excellent Systems
        Ph: (09) 377 1314 Fax: (09) 379 3415
        Mob: 0274 975 961 Web: www.excellent.co.nz

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Rob Schapendonk
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2006
          Hi, Dave

          There are two mgreq.ini, one in the magic root directory and one in
          Magic94Scripts.

          Don't forget to restart the service IIS Admin (and also to start the
          World Wide Web service)after each change from the mgreq.ini

          Regards,
          Rob

          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2006
            This is either or/and an IIS6/win2003 security issue.

            There is a tech note on the Magic web site tht explains how to install
            for 2003/IIS6

            you need to both register the magic dll's with IIS and allow the Magic
            application mgrntw.exe to run under computer system properties,
            advanced, performance data execution prevention settings...

          • GroupMail
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1, 2006
              This is almost assuredly a "web service extensions" issue.

              For debugging purposes, you can go into IIS 6.0 configuration, and just set
              "all extensions" as allowed. However, if that solves the problem, "best
              practices" would be to go back and create a specific extension for the
              magic web requesters.

              If you would like some help on this, please contact me privately.

              Tom Martin

              At 4/30/2006 11:20 PM, you wrote:

              >Have just installed Enterprise Server 9.4 SP6c on a new Windows 2003
              >Server. Have a Browser Client application installed on it, but it just
              >won't work. Although the Monitor shows that the application has started,
              >when we try to run it - on the server itself - it keeps coming up 'The
              >Page cannot be found'. We've tried running just
              >'//servername/Magic94Scripts.mgrqispi94.dll?appname', which should give
              >a Magic error - but still get this 'Page cannot be found' message.
              >
              >Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? - the identical
              >install on a Win2k PC or a WinXP PC works perfectly, no problem at all.
              >
              >Thanks
              >
              >Dave Johnston Excellent Systems
              >Ph: (09) 377 1314 Fax: (09) 379 3415
              >Mob: 0274 975 961 Web: www.excellent.co.nz
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dave Johnston
              Message 6 of 17 , May 1, 2006
                Progress!!. Thanks everyone. Having done this new extension, I now get
                to the login screen.

                But... The cursor doesn't go to the login field as it should, so when I
                force it I get an error. Normally I would have said that this
                meanseither .net or the Magic .net msi haven't been installed, but they
                are. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the .net framework is the
                right version.

                Any ideas, anyone???

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 17 , May 1, 2006
                  The .Net-framework version should be 1.1.4322, NOT 2.0!
                  I woul also advise you to run Windows Update to get all the
                  available updates fo the .Net framework.

                  You could also try to run the application on Java-technology. If
                  that works fine, consider removing the .Net-dll for the Magic client
                  an the .Net-framework en reinstall both.

                  By the way, what kind of error do you get?

                  (There's also the possibility to define a Javascript function that
                  the Magic-client will execute when the .Net-framework or the Java
                  Virtual Machine is missing on the client computer.)

                  Mark

                  www.excellent.co.nz

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Dave Johnston
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1, 2006
                    How do you find out what the .Net framework version is? I wondered about
                    that, but can't find where it is to check it, or uninstall it to then
                    install the correct version.

                    The error goes to the default html error page specified in the
                    mgreq.ini.

                    Thanks Mark

                    www.excellent.co.nz

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Arch Lineberger
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 1, 2006
                      Control Panel/Add Remove programs will tell you the version.

                    • Dave Johnston
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 1, 2006
                        The problem with the Win 2003 Server is that it says it installed the
                        .NET Framework as part of the operating system, so it doesn't appear in
                        this. But it does at least, looking at the Microsoft.NET directory under
                        Windows, look as if it is indeed V1.1.

                        Thanks Arch

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Dave Johnston
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 1, 2006
                          Finally got things to work, though I have to admit I am a bit confused
                          as to how...

                          Steve, you mention a tech note on the Magic web site explaining how to
                          install for 2003/IIS6. I've had a look at the main Magic site and can't
                          find anything - can you tell me where about I look for this?

                          Thanks

                          Dave Johnston Excellent Systems
                          Ph: (09) 377 1314 Fax: (09) 379 3415
                          This is either or/and an IIS6/win2003 security issue.

                          There is a tech note on the Magic web site tht explains how to install
                          for 2003/IIS6

                          you need to both register the magic dll's with IIS and allow the Magic
                          application mgrntw.exe to run under computer system properties,
                          advanced, performance data execution prevention settings...

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Rob Schapendonk
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                            Hi, Dave

                            Are you testing locally on the Win 2003 Server?
                            The IE security settings are set so high that the applet can't be
                            downloaded & installed.
                            Often it helps to add the site to the trusted internet zone.
                            After doing this the popup will appear if the right applet isn't
                            installed yet.

                            Regards,
                            Rob