Re: [MaestrosdeEspanol] Re: emergency lesson plans

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2013
      These are great ideas!  Thanks so much!!

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 28, 2013, at 8:39 PM, "profaspain" <widowinthewindow@...> wrote:

      I know this is kind of an old post, but I just joined this group and wanted to add my ideas. Here are some of the emergency plans I use (or have used in the past):

      1) Students create a picture dictionary with their vocab. I teach circumlocution and how to define words early in the year so students must draw and define the word they choose.

      2) I always keep a few stories with questions on hand for them to read and answer. When they finish, I have them either rewrite the ending or take a character and write about what happened after the story ended.

      3) Vocab sudoku. Easy to make, just google an easy level sudoku and replace the numbers with pictures of vocab you are using. Students must fill in the squares by writing the words pictured in Spanish.

      4) Have them make and/or do crossword puzzles

      5) Logic puzzles. To create the puzzles, I use the (English) puzzle books that I've amassed over the years. I change all of the information but follow the pattern of the clues. For example, if a clue is "Daniel or Bob works in Kentucky" my clue might be "José o Benito vive con su mamá"

      6) I have many pre-made jigsaw puzzles that pair vocabulary with their definitions in Spanish. Students put these together in groups.

      7) Bingo. The sub can read words in English so students have to translate them into L2 to figure out if they have it or not.

      8) Cognate activities. Have them take children's books (or whatever material you have) and look for cognates. You can also have them try to summarize what the story/article is about in English (or in TL for a challenge) based on what cognates they found.

      9) Classroom decor scavenger hunt. We all have posters/realia hanging up in our rooms. Make a scavenger hunt where they have to answer questions based on the stuff in your room.

      10) I save articles/newspaper stories about Hispanic culture and create questions that go along with them as I go. Students can read them and answer the questions.

      Hope these help!

      --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, PAUL SCROGGS <paul_rebecca@...> wrote:

      > Happy New Year Everyone!!
      > We may have discussed this before, but I am all out of ideas.  I have used all my Teacher's Discovery DVDs and just need a fresh idea for emergency lesson plans.  I even bought the "Emergency Lesson Plan" book from Teacher's Discovery, but that turned out to be an all writing exercise -- hard on the non-Spanish speaking sub and an exercise in "How can I get out of this work?" for the students.  Any ideas that a non-Spanish speaking sub could do be greatly appreciated!
      > Rebecca in Georgia

    • Kathleen McIntyre HM
      Message 2 of 10 , May 31, 2013
        Good suggestions!!