I know you guys are really busy but please help ;)

  • rebecca.withrow@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2013
      I am at a traditional middle school where the population is almost half minorities (african american and hispanic). My principal wants all elective teachers to sponsor a club. I have a Spanish Culture Club. We meet once a month. I feel as though this is enough. I want to preface this question with this information. This year they hired a latino P.E. teacher. Great guy and has contributed a lot. However he said he wanted to help me with the club but he thought once a week was not enough and that we really should have the culture exposure. Which I agree. He has had a lot of experience out of state with working with community centers. I think this is different when transportation is not an issue. I also feel like 4x a month is a lot. He wanted to have the students do dance routines for games for example. Wonderful idea but I feel like that is a lot since I have a family. I want to build the Spanish program and I have done things like brought in a guest speaker this year, offered club once a month. We even plan to go to the local Mexican radio station. Am I missing the boat here? Should I do more than that?
    • kathy bausman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2013
        For what it is worth, in my opinion you are already doing plenty and more just seems like overload when you are balancing family and school. If the P.E. teacher would like to assume responsibility and meet more often with the kids to plan projects, etc. let him know he is welcome to do that but you simply can't devote any more of your time or energy to the club at this time. I hope you won't feel pressured to do more as your family is important too and we teachers need time at home to enjoy our families and re-energize in order to be effective in the classroom.
        I hope this helps.
        Kathy

[...]

      • Rebecca Withrow
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
          Kathy,
          Thank you sooo much for that.  Sometimes feel a little insecure.  He has a lot of passion for his culture and I certainly support him for that but with all the other "essential standards",   "word walls" and everything else in planning for 90 minute classes you are right there is not enough time.  I can sleep a little better.  I appreciate this group so much!

          Sincerely,
          Becky