Re: subject pronouns

  • Lynn Heil
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2012
      I have planned a way for kinesthetic learners.
      I use oobi puppets (basically a silly set of eyeballs that fit over a finger to make your hand a puppet) (there are some great deals on eBay, and here's a link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003FHQ0MW/ref=redir_mdp_mobile). Of course, paper bag puppets or stuffed animals would work too.
      Each student gets one and has to make an appropriate physical gesture/response based on the pronoun I say (much like the TPR lessons).

      Here's the list of gestures for Spanish:

      Yo: point to self
      Tú: point to puppet, and lower puppet hand to make it look like a kid
      Él: point to a boy and lean in to puppet to like you're talking together about that boy (this action of talking about the person helps distinguish it for a sect address like tú or usted)
      Ella: point to a girl and lean in to puppet to like you're talking together about that girl (this action of talking about the person helps distinguish it for a sect address like tú or usted)
      Usted: point to puppet but raise hand into the air like it is tall like an adult
      Nosotros: point to self and puppet (put heads together like you are best buds)
      Vosotros: students put puppets together in a group and point at them, making sure that they are short like younger kids.
      Ellos: puppet and kid lean in to whisper together and point at a groups of boys
      Ellas: puppet and kid lean in to whisper together and point at a groups of girls
      Ustedes: students put puppets together in a group and point at them, making sure that they are tall like adults.

      (This would be easier if I could demonstrate...)

      After kinesthetic practice, there are lots of TPR style games and story gestures that can be added in.

      Hope this helps!

      ps. Please excuse typing and punctuation errors..."smart" phone keypad!