principal wanting to see more culture

  • rebecca.withrow@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2011
      Hey there,
      I don't think I've asked this before. Our district is going through some changes and our elective teachers at our school have been told we really need to "sell" our program. Our district is moving toward school choice and neighborhood schools. I am at a school where they haven't had foreign language in 3 years (middle school). I am starting a Spanish club in January. However, I would like any suggestions out there from those of you who have done various things to promote the program school wide. Personally, I think a club is the start of it. My principal said to me that it would have been great if I had done something related to Mexico's independence day since we have a large population of Mexicans. Please note we can't do announcements over the school p.a. system. I was talking to my PLT about having a cultural arts night. I can't dance but I did get a dvd which demonstrates some latin folk dancing that I thought kids could perform "if" we have the arts night. What do you guys think? Would really appreciate your input.

      Becky
    • Sr. Kathleen McIntyre
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2011
        I am not sure what your school allows in regard to religion.  I live in Akron and there is a pretty large number of both Mexican and other Hispanic countries here.  The huge feast that is coming is the Feast of the Virgen of Guadalupe.  One of our churches is having a bi-lingual Mass and a day of festivities, honoring the Virgen of Guadalupe.  This is one of Mexico's biggest religious holiday, so you might do something around that .  Perhaps, you could get a Mexican who will talk to students about Guadalupe, Mexico.

        Kathy

        On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM, rebecca.withrow@... <dreaminbeach@...> wrote:

[...]

      • jennifermpeter
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2011
          There are lots of great activites to do at a cultural arts night if the focus is to be Mexico (most of which require at least some funds, so hope you have some!) You can have different stations where kids can make paper flowers, papel picado, repujado, and alebrijes using engrudo. You can highlight different kinds of music popular in Mexico (nortena, banda, duranguense, cumbia sonidera, ranchera, zapateado, son jarocho, etc, etc) and tap into the school's Mexican population to help you out. I guarantee that some of those kids can dance duranguense (it's an easy step to learn, not like folk dancing or cumbia). Or, they may have parents who can do traditional folk dancing or some other thing that they would be willing to demonstrate. Depending on the facilities/level of supervision, you could have them make a simple pico de gallo or tortillas using Maseca and a tortilla press. Or, have students bring dishes to the event and have a huge potluck/tasting. Suerte

          Sra. Sierra
          Spanish 1 + 2
          Coppin Academy High School
          Baltimore
        • rebecca.withrow@att.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2012
            Thanks Jen!
            But pardon my ignorance. What is repujado and alebrijes? I will definitely keep your ideas in mind.