Re: another movie

  • Danielle Ernst
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011
      Hey everyone,

      I teach 9th and 10th grade and for the second year in a row now I'm showing "Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights" and the kids LOVE it....even the gentlemen in my class get really into it!!  It's PG-13 and the "risque-ness" is equivalent to that of Dancing With the Stars on prime time television.

      It's a great movie and really gets the students interested with the theme of the Cuban Revolution.  I suggest that you watch it a couple times before showing the movie though so that you can intervene at different parts to really drive home some of the points the movie is trying to make :)
    • Eckesp@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011
        That is a great movie!
        It captures the love of dancing and the background is the Cuban Revolution... very good movie.
        Lourdes Eckstein
        ERMS
        Ridgefield, CT

      • sicinco
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011
          The problem is that it is not a Cuban movie and it's in English. It is really not an accurate version of an historical event.

          I'd look for something more authentic. There are also many fantastic Cuban writers.

          --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, Eckesp@... wrote:

          > That is a great movie!
          > It captures the love of dancing and the background is the Cuban Revolution... very good movie.
          > Lourdes Eckstein
          > ERMS
          > Ridgefield, CT

        • Mirko
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011

            This may be a repeat, but here it goes anyway.

            I have shown several movies to different classes this year.  All in Spanish with English sub-titles.

            1.      Bajo la Misma Luna

            2.      Al otro lado

            3.      Voces Inocentes

            4.      Escape from Havana (CNBC documentary)

            5.      Buena Vista Social Club

            All are good movie and I would recommend them all.  Bajo la Misma Luna and Al Otro Lado were both terrific.  I guess Al Otro Lado would be the one I would recommend the most.

            I am Cuban, so those may be overly represented.

            I would like one more to show the last week of school.  I’m thinking Selena.  Any other suggestions?

            The problem is that it is not a Cuban movie and it's in English. It is really not an accurate version of an historical event.

            I'd look for something more authentic. There are also many fantastic Cuban writers.

            --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, Eckesp@... wrote:

            > That is a great movie!
            > It captures the love of dancing and the background is the Cuban Revolution... very good movie.
            > Lourdes Eckstein
            > ERMS
            > Ridgefield, CT

          • Bethany Pflug
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
              to go along with your Cuban theme - Viva Cuba.  Otherwise I have shown Guadelupe (Mexican - theme is the virgin de Guadelupe and her influence in Mexican culture)
              Sugar is a really good film about Baseball, Dominican Republic and what it takes to "make it" in the majors or even the minors.