Skype in the classroom

  • Erin Olson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hola! Has anyone used Skype in your classroom? I am hoping to start using it so my students can speak with students from Spanish-speaking countries. How has it gone for you if you have tried? Have you found any resources to connect with other classrooms? Have you just used your personal connections?
      Thanks!
    • Patty Moran
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
        No lo he usado, pero me encataria saber como te fue y a donde se comunicaron.  Suena bastante interesante.

        Hola! Has anyone used Skype in your classroom? I am hoping to start using it so my students can speak with students from Spanish-speaking countries. How has it gone for you if you have tried? Have you found any resources to connect with other classrooms? Have you just used your personal connections?
        Thanks!

      • Jessica L
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2011
          I am interested in hearing about people's experiences with it too. I have thought of using it to do webcam chats with my class and the class of a friend of mine who teaches English in Spain, but we haven't tried it yet. I just registered for an hour training session my district is offering on using Skype in the classroom, so I'll probably give it a try soon.

          --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Olson" <senoritaolson@...> wrote:

          > Hola! Has anyone used Skype in your classroom? I am hoping to start using it so my students can speak with students from Spanish-speaking countries. How has it gone for you if you have tried? Have you found any resources to connect with other classrooms? Have you just used your personal connections?
          > Thanks!

        • rdrepont
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3 11:20 AM
            I've found skype to be a wonderful asset in the classroom. I have used it to communicate with students in Honduras from our school in MA, and then also with another Spanish IV class in AZ.

            They communicated in Spanish as the students in Honduras spoke little English, and enjoyed learning 1st hand about a place completely different from their hometown. The exchange with students in AZ was with a colleague's class that had moved there the year before. We skyped with his class, and many students were motivated to practice their Spanish with the students in AZ. However, they were not as compelled to speak in Spanish because they both had English as their 1st language.

            All my connections have been personal; however, there is a MIT program I heard about at the AFTFL conference which is attempting to make a database of classes which want to interact with other classes. The website is: http://cultura.mit.edu/ I think with more participants it could be an extremely valuable teaching tool.

            Also here is an article on skype being used in the classrooms in Boston that I found interesting and motivating:
            http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2011/07/03/acton_third_graders_wind_up_year_of_exchanges_with_salvadoran_students/?s_campaign=8315

            I am beginning an action research project on using skype to enhance students' acquisition of cultural information and recognition of the distinctive viewpoints that are only available through foreign language and its cultures (National Foreign Language Content Standards 3.2). I wish you the best of luck, and I hope others will continue to post and share their experience on using skype in the classroom.

            Rachel
          • dlong9751
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011
              I'm interested in doing that, too, and would appreciate follow-up from the people who respond to you. I'll keep checking, too. Buena suerte.