Mercado Project

  • vicklea2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2007
      For Spanish II, I have the students set up a mercado with various food product. We include
      the following stands: lechería, refresquería, carnicería, panadería, pastelería, verdulería,
      frutería, etc. Then, I have the students randomly choose their market place, so that they are
      in groups. They have to plan items to bring in (like cheese and yogurt for the dairy), set
      prices in pesos, and write and present a dialogue as if they are entering the market place and
      buying an item there. They also make a big sign for their market and set up their "stalls"
      around the classroom. This is a popular favorite for the students who get to visit the
      marketplace after all the presentations are done and enjoy the foods and beverages. And the
      administrators like the creativity and the fact that the kids are learning along with eating. We
      do this for Chapter 3 in the Realidades series.

      Students are scored with a project rubric.

      Let me know if you have any questions or if you can use this idea!

      Vickie
    • Angela Bowman

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
          Neat idea! I would like the rubric too. Or would you be willing to
          post it in the files section? Thanks!

          --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, "vicklea2001"
          <vicklea2001@...> wrote:

          > For Spanish II, I have the students set up a mercado with various
          food product. We include
          > the following stands: lechería, refresquería, carnicería,
          panadería, pastelería, verdulería,
          > frutería, etc. Then, I have the students randomly choose their
          market place, so that they are
          > in groups. They have to plan items to bring in (like cheese and
          yogurt for the dairy), set
          > prices in pesos, and write and present a dialogue as if they are
          entering the market place and
          > buying an item there. They also make a big sign for their market
          and set up their "stalls"
          > around the classroom. This is a popular favorite for the students
          who get to visit the
          > marketplace after all the presentations are done and enjoy the
          foods and beverages. And the
          > administrators like the creativity and the fact that the kids are
          learning along with eating. We
          > do this for Chapter 3 in the Realidades series.
          >
          > Students are scored with a project rubric.
          >
          > Let me know if you have any questions or if you can use this idea!
          >
          > Vickie

        • kk72881
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2007
            I would love to see your project guidelines and rubric.
            Thanks!
            Katherine