Re: Estoy deprimida

  • tessa_9876
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2010
      I don't think you are burned out, I think that you are just working with people who do things differently and it is frustrating for you. I have had some of these feelings before, too. A lot of self-doubt in comparing myself to other teachers and I kinda stick to myself because I'm quiet and always trying to get work done.

      I am starting to realize that I just have to be responsible for my own work and what i know how to do. Every teacher teaches differently! I have developed a certain style and certain things I like to do and ways I do them, and that's just how it is!

      Ask this question: Do you feel like you are doing your absolute best? (And I don't mean doing every single thing, because keeping up with every expected thing in teaching is impossible.) Are the majority of your kids showing progress?

      If your answers are yes, then let it be and let them be! :) They will be responsible for their work (or lack thereof lol...no lesson plans? I mean seriously..) and you will be responsible for yours. ;)

      --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, "Topperarnold" <chrisandsara@...> wrote:

      > I have been teaching for 16 years. For the last 11 I've been a high
      > school Spanish teacher. I pretty much taught in a vacuum the last 11
      > years...I was the only Spanish teacher. I am at a new school and now I
      > am working with a colleague. I feel like I do everything differently
      > than she. I know we are all our own teachers, but it still freaks me out
      > that we are so fundamentally different. I am having real confidence
      > issues this year.
      >
      > * I write lesson plans. She doesn't. I sort of get it...you teach a
      > book long enough you know where you should be etc. But even after three
      > years in the same book, I wrote weekly lesson plans. Are lesson plans a
      > thing of the past and I didn't get the memo?
      > * I pretty much stick to a book and try to avoid being their
      > dictionary. Either you express yourself with what you have (and with a
      > little help from the glossary and the teacher) or you don't say it. She
      > is willing to tell them almost anything they need. So when I compare my
      > students ¿Quién soy yo? projects to hers, mine sound really awful.
      > * She often comments on past teachers she has worked with "He didn't
      > know what he was doing. I would make corrections on his board." Or while
      > grading papers she showed me a paper with a low grade and said "this
      > student didn't have me for Spanish I."
      > * I really don't know if my Spanish is up to snuff. She did a year
      > abroad in college and I believe a semester in Mexico. I've taken two
      > trips to Spain and a cruise to Mexico.
      > * To top it all off, I haven't really clicked with the other faculty.
      > I am a keep to yourself kinda gal and I guess they all now think I am a
      > be-yotch because I really don't do social stuff with them (I don't
      > drink.) At lunch they all have their places they sit and I'm at the end
      > just sitting their. I try to be social, but I'm pretty invisible to
      > them. And quite frankly, some of them have made some comments that are
      > quite racist and it offended the crap out of me.
      > * Am I just crispy or completely burned out?

    • morphewegge
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2010
        No lesson plans! I have been as long as you and I still write lesson plans. They are not as detailed as when I started but they keep me organized and from stressing out. Socially you have to do what is comfortable for you. I have gone to bars with colleagues, but I don't drink so I drive myself and I order a beverage that I will enjoy and I leave when I want to. Everyone seems to have been satisfied. I don't go very often, I find bars noisy and boring. As for racist remarks, they do come out sometimes too, occasionally I have felt motivated to return the remark in a way that illustrates that I don't agree with that person. Understand, the we don't socialize. I agree with another poster, if you feel good about the results obtained in your classroom, don't worry about what the other teacher is saying about other teachers abilities. Seems like she needs to fees superior.