Re: "Agua la boca" or "la boca agua"?

  • buelsue1
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
      on word reference: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1338045&highlight=hacersele+agua+la+boca

      mi propuesta:

      El olor le hizo la boca agua

      el olor = sujeto
      le = complemento indirecto
      hizo = verbo
      la boca agua = complemento directo

      --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, Pepi Rosado <josefarosado@...> wrote:

      > Como dijiste en Espana decimos "se me hace la boca agua" con el sustantivo
      > antes del calificativo (al igual que "Se me pone el vello de punta/ se me
      > pone la piel de gallina"
      >
      > On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Judith Sagalovsky <
      > judy_sagalovsky@...> wrote:
      >

      > > En venezuela decimos "hacersele agua la boca"
      > >
      > > ------------------------------
      > > To: maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: danhan22@...
      > > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:01:20 -0700
      > >
      > > Subject: [MaestrosdeEspanol] "Agua la boca" or "la boca agua"?
      > >

      > > Dear members,
      > >

      > > I would like to know which countries use "hacérsele agua
      > > la boca" and which ones use "hacérsele la boca agua". I'm guessing that
      > > Spaniards say "hacérsele la boca agua" while in Mexico people say "hacérsele
      > > agua la boca". Up until now, I thought everyone said "hacérsele agua la
      > > boca".
      > >

      > > Thanks for your input,
      > >
      > > Daniel Hanson
      > >
      > > Public High School Spanish Teacher
      > >
      > > Atwater, California, USA

    • Daniel Hanson
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010

        This link confirms that in Spain they use “hacérsele la boca agua”.

        > Como dijiste en Espana decimos "se me hace la boca agua" con el sustantivo
        > antes del calificativo (al igual que "Se me pone el vello de punta/ se me
        > pone la piel de gallina"
        >
        > On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Judith Sagalovsky <
        > judy_sagalovsky@...> wrote:
        >

        > > En venezuela decimos "hacersele agua la boca"
        > >
        > > ------------------------------
        > > To: maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: danhan22@...
        > > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:01:20 -0700
        > >
        > > Subject: [MaestrosdeEspanol] "Agua la boca" or "la boca agua"?
        > >

        > > Dear members,
        > >

        > > I would like to know which countries use "hacérsele agua
        > > la boca" and which ones use "hacérsele la boca agua". I'm guessing that
        > > Spaniards say "hacérsele la boca agua" while in Mexico people say "hacérsele
        > > agua la boca". Up until now, I thought everyone said "hacérsele agua la
        > > boca".
        > >

        > > Thanks for your input,
        > >
        > > Daniel Hanson
        > >
        > > Public High School Spanish Teacher
        > >
        > > Atwater, California, USA

      • Daniel Hanson
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010

          Buelsue1,

                          If we were to dissect this sentence: “Se me hace agua la boca” or “Se me hace la boca agua”, it would be:

          Subject: la boca

          Verb: “se hace” (passive reflexive or “reflexive substitute for the passive voice” here, where normally the direct object in an active sentence now becomes the subject of this reflexive construction; there is not agent here, it’s omitted; we don’t know what’s making the person’s mouth water or it’s impersonal.)

          Indirect object pronoun: “me” (it’s a “dativo de interés”, used a lot in Spanish instead of possessive adjectives with the noun, especially with parts of the body and pieces of clothing; used here in order to not say “mi boca”, which sounds awkward, not natural in Spanish to native speakers.)

          Direct object noun: “agua” (The person’s mouth is causing, producing “water”, or really, “saliva”. Sometimes “hacer” is used to mean ‘to become, to turn into, to transform into’ which could mean that it’s a predicate or attribute in Spanish grammar.)

          Please correct me if I am wrong.

          Saludos gramaticales,

          Daniel