Re: How far are you in the book?

  • srapelicano
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1 9:08 AM
      Hi,

      I also teach out of the 1a book at a middle school and lately I am lucky if I finish Unidad 2, Etapa 3. My students are just finishing up Unidad 2, Etapa 1 and our last day is June 21.

      --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, "Charlotte Meyer" <cmeyer38@...> wrote:

      > > I teach out of the En Español 1a, 1 and 2 books. This is my first year and
      > > was just wanting to run a quick comparison to see how far most of you are
      > > in the text. I have covered much less of the book than originally planned
      > > and will only accomplish around 2/3 of it.
      >
      > I was using En Español last year when I was student teaching. The school
      > took 3 years to get through books 1 and 2.
      >
      > Charlotte Meyer
      > Spanish Teacher
      > Japanese tutor

    • kathy bausman
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2 6:02 PM
        I am not a frequent contributor but wanted to say at my school, it too takes 3 years to complete both En Espanol books l and 2.

        > I teach out of the En Español 1a, 1 and 2 books. This is my first year and
        > was just wanting to run a quick comparison to see how far most of you are
        > in the text. I have covered much less of the book than originally planned
        > and will only accomplish around 2/3 of it.

        I was using En Español last year when I was student teaching. The school
        took 3 years to get through books 1 and 2.

        Charlotte Meyer
        Spanish Teacher
        Japanese tutor

      • Angela Bowman
        Message 3 of 20 , May 3 7:22 PM
          Just wondering, if you had been a full-time teacher at that school, would you have found it took that long for both books?
          I struggle to get through Realidades 1 in two years.

          > I teach out of the En Español 1a, 1 and 2 books. This is my first year and
          > was just wanting to run a quick comparison to see how far most of you are
          > in the text. I have covered much less of the book than originally planned
          > and will only accomplish around 2/3 of it.

          I was using En Español last year when I was student teaching. The school
          took 3 years to get through books 1 and 2.

          Charlotte Meyer
          Spanish Teacher
          Japanese tutor

        • monica_youngblood
          Message 4 of 20 , May 4 6:27 AM
            Just curious....those of you who take 3 years for the level 1 and level 2 books...what credit do the students get? Do they get credit for Spanish 1, 2 and 3 or do they only get credit for Spanish 1 and 2?

          • Eckesp@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , May 4 7:01 AM
              I have been using En Espanol 1 for the past 6 years. We get through the book in two years and even then it's a bit of a struggle at the end.
              At the High School, they are supposed to do the whole book in one year but they only get up to Unit 4. It' too much at the beginning levels to expect the kids to absorb all of this in one year.
              Lourdes Eckstein
              ERMS
              Ridgefield, CT

            • danhan22@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , May 4 2:39 PM
                When I was a high school student 1991-1995, the class went through most of the textbook. In level 3 and 4 they did split up the book "Spanish for Mastery: Situationes". In both district I have worked in, we teach at least all four units of each level for each year. The last two units are recycled at the beginning of the following year supposedly. I'm used to learning the preterite and imperfect in Spanish I as well as starting to learn the subjunctive. In Spanish III and IV is where the students go even further with the subjunctive and refine how they use the two past tenses and learn to use the compound tenses in Spanish--at least that's how I've seen some textbook curricula set up.

                Sincerely,
                Daniel Hanson
                Public High School Spanish Teacher
                Modesto, California, USA

                Message 7 of 20 , May 4 2:59 PM
                  > Just wondering, if you had been a full-time teacher at that school, would
                  > you have found it took that long for both books?
                  I struggle to get through Realidades 1 in two years.

                  It looks like you were directing the question at me, so all I can tell you
                  is that the school where I am now, I am one of three Spanish teachers and I
                  was an emergency replacement during the middle of the first semester for a
                  teacher who suddenly quit. Odd way to start a teaching career! I was given
                  all of the second year classes (5) and one first year class and told that we
                  needed to finish the book (Avancemos) by the end of the year. At this
                  school they try to get through each level book in one year. As it is, we
                  all are finding out that we are only going to get through half of the last
                  unit. Due to the two weeks they had a sub and the other Spanish teachers
                  trying to cover until I came on board, they only got through Unit 2 by the
                  end of the first semester and then wanted to cover Units 3, 4, 5, and 6 by
                  the end of the semester. There are two chapters for each unit. The kids
                  aren't too happy about getting a test every 3 weeks, but I doubt that
                  slowing down would have helped some of them very much. I am making them do
                  more of the work at home and giving more quizzes to keep them on top of
                  things. My biggest problem right now is the sports whiners who think I
                  should repeat things for them or delay the test because they miss class to
                  leave for a game. I flat out told them that if Spanish is that important to
                  them, they need to quit sports and be in my class instead. You all know
                  what their reaction to that was.

                  Charlotte Meyer
                  Spanish Teacher
                  Japanese tutor
                • Charlotte Meyer
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4 3:00 PM
                    > Just curious....those of you who take 3 years for the level 1 and level 2
                    > books...what credit do the students get? Do they get credit for Spanish 1,
                    > 2 and 3 or do they only get credit for Spanish 1 and 2?

                    Spanish 1, 2, and 3. I asked about that once and the answer I got was that
                    the publisher doesn't decide how much one should cover in a year.

                    Charlotte Meyer
                    Spanish Teacher
                    Japanese tutor
                  • kathy bausman
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 4 8:02 PM
                      The students get credit for all three years but I must add I do supplement with readers for levels 2 and 3. I use Amsco's Alejandro y su gran aventura in level 2 and Viviana.. and La Catrina and El Ultimo Secreto in level 3.

                      Just curious....those of you who take 3 years for the level 1 and level 2 books...what credit do the students get? Do they get credit for Spanish 1, 2 and 3 or do they only get credit for Spanish 1 and 2?

                      --- In maestrosdeespanol@ yahoogroups. com, kathy bausman <kathybausman@ ...> wrote:

                      > I am not a frequent contributor but wanted to say at my school, it too takes 3 years to complete both En Espanol books l and 2.

                    • Polly Franklin
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 5 4:49 AM
                        Why should the students only receive 2 credits for doing 3 years of work?

                        Polly C Franklin
                        Spanish 2-3 teacher
                        Lake Central High School
                        St John, IN

                        Just curious....those of you who take 3 years for the level 1 and level 2 books...what credit do the students get? Do they get credit for Spanish 1, 2 and 3 or do they only get credit for Spanish 1 and 2?

                        --- In maestrosdeespanol@ yahoogroups. com, kathy bausman <kathybausman@ ...> wrote:

                        > I am not a frequent contributor but wanted to say at my school, it too takes 3 years to complete both En Espanol books l and 2.

                      • Diane Brooks
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 5 3:03 PM
                          I would think the state standars would dictate what is to be learned at which level.  If the material for level 3 is in the 2nd year book, sounds like they should get 3 yrs. credit.  Diane

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 5 5:37 PM

                            This is my guess on what the original poster meant:

                                            In college, they teach the equivalent of what we high school teachers teaching in a regular school year in the time of one college semester. If the students in high school are still using the 2nd year/level high school book in high school Spanish III, then they aren’t really doing the type of work they are supposed to be doing from another district or college department perspective. For example, if Spanish III students are barely working on the two past tenses and starting to learn the subjunctive, they are behind other high school Spanish III, where the assumption is that they are working with the compound tenses and more finer subtleties of the subjunctive (as well as learning the past subjunctive) at this point in the high school sequencing. Typically, year II high school students should be learning the two past tenses and the basic present subjunctive forms and basic uses. Then you have college professors complaining and incoming freshmen questioning how much Spanish they really learned in high school since they are struggling in the 3rd or 4th semester Spanish course after having taken 3-4 years in high school.

                            Just food for thought. I realize from reading posts online that not every school or district goes at the exact pace. To each his own.

                            Sincerely,

                            Daniel Hanson

                            Public High School Spanish Teacher

                            Modesto, California

                            I’ve taught Spanish I, II, IV, Spanish for Native Speakers (and half the year AP Spanish language course).

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 5 5:52 PM

                              I agree with your points that what is in each book should be taught at each level, but I have maybe one or two students per class that are actually learning what I am presenting well enough to proceed that quickly.  With distractions, interruptions, family situations, absences, sports and all other kinds of issues, many students fall further and further behind.  Not ideal, but that's my reality.  Many of my "2nd year" students don't remember much of what they learned in first year enough for them to progress.  They struggle with the vocabulary, not to mention not even getting a lot of the grammar concepts.

                              Just curious....those of you who take 3 years for the level 1 and level 2 books...what credit do the students get? Do they get credit for Spanish 1, 2 and 3 or do they only get credit for Spanish 1 and 2?

                              --- In maestrosdeespanol@ yahoogroups. com, kathy bausman <kathybausman@ ...> wrote:

                              > I am not a frequent contributor but wanted to say at my school, it too takes 3 years to complete both En Espanol books l and 2.

                            • JillS
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 5 6:06 PM
                                Well said, Angela!

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 6 6:35 AM
                                  Usually a student would take a placement test before going on with foreign language at the college level which takes care of this problem.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 6 9:14 AM
                                    I am the original poster and my original intent was simply to find out where everyone finished their books at the end of the school year. Then when so many mentioned taking 3 years for levels 1 and 2, I got to wondering what type of credit they received.

                                    Thanks for all of your input and insight. I have quite a bit to think about and I feel much better about the pace I chose for my classes. I also feel better prepared to speak to the administration about taking this approach at our school (2 books in 3 years for 3 credits).

                                    --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Hanson" <danhan22@...> wrote:

                                    > This is my guess on what the original poster meant:

                                  • Daniel Hanson
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 6 4:37 PM

                                      Not if they don’t place well and are made to feel that their high school Spanish was worthless because they are placed in a lower level than they thought they should be in or they feel too uncomfortable in the class they are placed in. Some colleges don’t have placement tests, and some just focus only on grammar points and are multiple-choice only.