Sit up!

  • Charlotte Meyer
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
      I know how to say "Sit down!" but how do you say "Sit up!" ? I have a
      student who spends most of the time with his head on the desk. I have to
      give him constant reminders to sit up and pay attention and I'd like to do
      it in Spanish.

      Charlotte Meyer
      Spanish Teacher
      Japanese tutor
    • viviam_clark@bcsd.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010

        Yo diría:

        Siéntate bien o siétate derecho.

        No sé... talvez otros tengan mejores sugerencias.

        Viv

      • Daniel Hanson
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010

          Siéntate bien.

          Daniel Hanson

          High School Spanish Instructor/Teacher

          Modesto, California, USA

          I know how to say "Sit down!" but how do you say "Sit up!" ? I have a
          student who spends most of the time with his head on the desk. I have to
          give him constant reminders to sit up and pay attention and I'd like to do
          it in Spanish.

          Charlotte Meyer
          Spanish Teacher
          Japanese tutor

        • Elizabeth Castrillon
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
            a lo mejor, pegale con una regla! (chiste)

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
              tambien puedes decirle "sube la cabeza"

              Yueli Peña

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
                a lo mejor, pegale con una regla! (chiste)

                20 years ago I could. It's a Catholic school. :-) Don't think some of us
                don't sometimes wish for "the good old days." :-)

                Charlotte Meyer
                Spanish Teacher
                Japanese tutor
              • Jessica Valentino
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
                  Actually, I've always wondered if I was saying this phrase correctly as well!
                  I've been using "!Despiertate!" or "!Sientate derecho!"

                  --
                  ---
                  Jessica Valentino

                • Altis Durante
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010

                    enderézate is what teachers and adults tell kids ALL THE TIME

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2010
                      I think I remember hearing "¡Siéntate derecho!" a few times by native speakers (this phrase is in the Oxford dictionary). You can't go wrong with "bien" in formal speech.

                      Now I'm kind of curious to see if a Colombian would use "¡Siéntate derecho!" or not since they don't like to say, "Siga todo derecho" (when giving someone directions on how to get somewhere). They'd rather use the word "recto" instead: "Siga todo recto."

                      Any thoughts?