Days of the week

  • Vanessa Carlin
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
      I am currently student teaching and need ideas on activities that students like.

      I have two lessons coming up...so any ideas on the following would be appreciated.
      1. Days of the week (only days of the week, not months)
      2. The weather-such as hace frio, have viento, hace sol etc. (not the seasons)

      Thank you!

    • Vanessa Carlin
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
        Sorry, for got to mention its for SPANISH I-non natives

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
          For days of the week, we daily put the day of the week at the top of our Bellringers and throughout the year we use them in stories or when I ask them questions.  I don't believe that having one lesson on them will help them learn them or remember them as well as continued use of them.

          I teach the weather with gestures... I write the English on the board.  Then I say the word in Spanish and show them a gesture.  They do the gesture.  I mix up the words and they do the gestures until they hear them and associate them with the word or phrase that they hear.  I have them close their eyes and we try it again.  Then I can tell if they recognize them or not.   Then I have them spell the words to me in Spanish, and I write the letters as they spell them to me.  We then use the weather terms in stories.

          some of the gestures....
          llueve - both hands up with fingers moving to imitate raindrops
          hace frio - students act like they are cold (that's not hard in my classroom)
          hace viento - we make a big movement  with arms from right to left and make a whooshing sound (loudly - I have to hear the sound.  When they do that, they remember it better, and it's also more fun)
          hace sol - make a sun with hands forming a circle up high in the air.
          hay tempestad - move hands all over the place and make a loud swooshing sound (You can add some "thunder" in there too for fun effects)
          esta nublado - with both hands, draw out a cloud in the air.

          We always have fun with these, and they seem to remember them when they want to use them in stories.

          Chris

          To: maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com
          From: afable_148@...
          Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:01:20 -0700
          Subject: [MaestrosdeEspanol] Re: Days of the week

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
            This isn't much, but when I did days of the week this year, I actually printed off a calendar and had the students fill in each box with the correct day of the week.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
              I did this with my second graders, but I went online and printed off the ten day forecast in Spanish.  I think you can find it on www.weather.com - there should be an espanol button.  I used white out to adjust the terms to the ones that we were using.  Then I had the students fold their paper hot dog style and make seven cuts to the fold.  This way they could put the day of the week on the outside and the forecast under the flap.  I make a big deal about the fact that they can read something in Spanish.  Also there are forecasts in Spanish of major Spanish speaking cities.  We listen to that and pick out what we know.  We talk briefly before about what to expect- that there will be pictures to help us etc.

              ~Maris
            • marie blair
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                Vanessa.
                To help reinforce the days of the week and the weather, I have a student write the date on the board in Spanish and "el boletín " del día, where they have a designated space to write the weather.

                I hope this helps,
                Marie

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                  I don't know if your students will sing or not, but there are some very catchy, basic days of the week songs.

                  --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, Vanessa Carlin <afable_148@...> wrote:

                  > I am currently student teaching and need ideas on activities that students like.
                  >
                  > I have two lessons coming up...so any ideas on the following would be appreciated.
                  > 1. Days of the week (only days of the week, not months)
                  > 2. The weather-such as hace frio, have viento, hace sol etc. (not the seasons)
                  >
                  > Thank you!

                • Aine Casey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                    The days of the week song that we sing is to the tune of "Oh My Darlin' Clementine."  It starts with Domingo.  My middle schoolers love it!
                    Domingo, lunes, martes, miercoles, jueves, viernes, sabado...domingo, lunes, martes, miercoles, jueves, viernes, sabado...
                    (I took it from a book several years ago.)

                    On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM, monica_youngblood <monica_youngblood@...> wrote:

                    I don't know if your students will sing or not, but there are some very catchy, basic days of the week songs.

                    --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, Vanessa Carlin <afable_148@...> wrote:

                    > I am currently student teaching and need ideas on activities that students like.
                    >
                    > I have two lessons coming up...so any ideas on the following would be appreciated.
                    > 1. Days of the week (only days of the week, not months)
                    > 2. The weather-such as hace frio, have viento, hace sol etc. (not the seasons)
                    >
                    > Thank you!

                  • Charlotte Meyer
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
                      The Clozeline activity someone suggested
                      http://zachary-jones.com/zambombazo/clozeline/ of Sherman Cancion -
                      Que no me roben in the plaza, was a hit in my Spanish III/IV class.
                      They were able to follow along and they loved the song.

                      Charlotte Meyer
                      Spanish Teacher
                      Preston Schools