Spanish immersion program?

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2009
      So this is my first year teaching Spanish (but I've taught for 10 years). It's also been 10 years since I last had a Spanish class. Have any of you ever used a Spanish immersion program with success? I'd love to just get immersed again to regain my fluency. Any tips, suggestions or guidelines would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

      Jennifer
    • Anna Burkhart
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2009
        Jennifer,
        I've been to Middlebury College's Spanish School (summer immersion program)  I did my master's there and went back a second time for a special 3 week teacher course.  There is also Concordia Villages (in MN, I think).  That  includes hs students.  You could participate as a counselor.  What city are you in or near?  There may be many opportunities to self-immerse in your area.
        Best of luck,
        Anna Montoya

        So this is my first year teaching Spanish (but I've taught for 10 years). It's also been 10 years since I last had a Spanish class. Have any of you ever used a Spanish immersion program with success? I'd love to just get immersed again to regain my fluency. Any tips, suggestions or guidelines would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

        Jennifer

      • marie blair
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2009
          Jennifer,
          If you are looking for a program in Mexico, I highly recommend The Tec of Monterrey in Querétaro, Mexico.

          I have included the link.

          Best of luck to you!

          Marie

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2009
            Middlebury is great, Jennifer... though a bit expensive. You might see if there's a Latino Association in your area and get involved if there is. I also buy Spanish CDs (and look up the lyrics online if I can't make them out) and DVDs. Many of the "regular" DVDs have the option of Spanish with English subtitles (or English with Spanish subtitles). (Borders and Best Buy have some available, and lots online.)

            If you have satellite radio, there are some good radio stations in Spanish (and you may have some locally, depending on where you live). Cable TV also has Spanish language channels available.

            That way you are "immersing" in the culture as well as the language... helps to have it in context!

            If you have the funds, I'd really recommend spending time in a Spanish-speaking country for your immersion ... Mexico has a lot of great programs (Cemanahuac comes to mind - spent a lovely 3 wks there a couple of yrs ago), and I believe there are good ones in beautiful places like Costa Rica and so forth. It helps when everything around you is in Spanish...

            Good luck :)

            Dori Fulk, Horseheads, NY