Wanted: Good Ideas for Cinco de Mayo

  • chickimama2000
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2009
      Any other good ideas out there for Cinco de Mayo??
    • Charlotte Meyer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2009
        Our elementary class was making something with eggshells. The shells had been poked with a needle at both ends and the contents blown out. Then the shells were covered in small pieces of tissue paper that were glued on. When that dried, three pinto beans were poked through the larger hole and that hole was covered with another piece of tissue paper glued on. I don't remember what they called them, but it was a noisemaker that they are supposed to use on Cinco de Mayo and then they are to crack them over the head of their friend for good luck. I won't be there for that because I finished my student teaching on Friday.

        Charlotte Meyer
        Maquoketa, Iowa
        Spanish teacher
      • Gcsee@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2009

          Congratulations on completing your students teaching, Charlotte!  Are you completely finished with school or do you have any more classes?

          As far as this project goes, did any parents express concern about using raw eggs?  Did you clean them out (somehow) first?  I ask because I have several parents that are wary of these types of things, especially when it comes to allergies.  I'm not trying to be difficult.  :-)

          Gia

          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2009
            Gia,

                I don't think there should be egg problems because they are cascarones (that is, dried egg shells stuffed with confetti which people crack on top of others' heads).

            To all:

                I am curious as to the how extended the tradition of "cascarones" are within Mexico. I know in Nuevo León, particularly in Monterrey and in Linares I didn't see them; nor did I see "cascarones" in Saltillo, Coahuila at Mexican festivities, etc. I first learned about them when beginning to teach using the ¡En español! level 1 textbook. However, in the Oxford dictionary, it says it's a term used in Mexico to refer to the confetti-filled shells. So...can anyone shed some light on this subject?

            When I was in Mexico, it was common for people to throw real eggs, flour, and water at the person having the birthday or a farewell party.

            Best wishes,

            Daniel Hanson
            High School Spanish Instructor/Teacher
            Modesto, California, USA

            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2009
              > Congratulations on completing your students teaching, Charlotte!  Are you completely finished with school or do you have any more classes?

              My understanding is that tomorrow (Monday) the Education Department at my college will notify the Iowa State Department of Education via internet that I have completed all requirements for a teaching license and then Des Moines is supposed to mail the license to me. Other students in my student teaching seminar have to wait another week because this is final exams week and they may be taking other classes that require a computation of their final grade before the information can be sent to Des Moines. Two other students besides myself already have degrees and are just going for licensure. One is waiting, though, because she is getting married at the beginning of June. They will wait so they can process her license under her new name.

              > As far as this project goes, did any parents express concern about using raw eggs?  Did you clean them out (somehow) first?  I ask because I have several parents that are wary of these types of things, especially when it comes to allergies.  I'm not trying to be difficult.  :-)

              I don't know. The eggshells looked rather clean when I saw them. They had been blown out ahead of time and were clean and/or dried out already.

              Charlotte Meyer
              Spanish Teacher
              Maquoketa, Iowa
            • Katie
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2009
                good power point
                http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Cinco-de-Mayo-Spanish-Power-Point-31-Slides

                Any other good ideas out there for Cinco de Mayo??

              • Andra Ommen
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2009
                  they are some interesting worksheets for lower levels also on edhelper.com

                  Any other good ideas out there for Cinco de Mayo??