I need to buy videos or CD's

  • mirkolopez
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1 11:20 AM
      I was given a Rotary Club grant of $250 to buy audio-visual materials
      for my class. I teach 6th, 7th and 8th grade Spanish. We use the book
      Realidades. Can anyone suggest a source for such materials and perhaps
      recommendations?

      I am a first-year teacher.

      Thank you,

      Mirko
    • Sue
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2009
        Mirko,

        I just now saw your email. This may be a little late.  I have been looking for similar materials.  The best I have found so far is this:

        www.carlexonline.com

        Request a catalog.  I don't know if the online list is nearly as good at the catalog.  The catalog is great.

        Sue

        --
        Teachers:  Touching tomorrow today.
      • marie blair
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2009
          Mirko,

          Teacher's Discovery just came out with a wonderful, brand new line of Technology that includes software, CD's , Videos and DVD's.  They are online :  www.teachersdiscovery.com  Also while you are there, request a catalog.  I keep mine right on my desk all the time.  It has so much to offer!
          They do offer the best variety of educational resources that I have seen!

          Hope this helps you,
          Marie

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2009

            This might be a stretch especially since I haven't been feeling well, however, I would like to offer something to you all that may be of help.  I live kind of near Teacher's Discovery company.  Although it is a catalog place, you are able to go in and ask to view products.  They even have had a section of shelves in their small foyer that has free items for anyone to take since they've been damaged.  For example, I was able to get a free game of "Operando" since the corner of the box was badly damaged.  Cool, huh?!

            Anyway, when Marie mentioned the company, that lead to a chain of thoughts which gave me an idea.  I have been itching to go out there since I haven't been able to in a while.  So, if anyone would like for me to "scout out" anything for them, just let me know.  Of course, I can't preview videos (which is why I mentioned the chain of thoughts).  What I can do is this: go in, ask to see the product, they go in back to bring it to me, I not only can look at it or through it but can ask questions about it.  I know you can call and ask someone about the product and they are very helpful on the phone.  However, I have had the good fortune of having a few people helping me at once immediately if the first person helping me didn't know the answer rather than "getting back to me".  They hunt down the proper person for you until it's answered.  I have had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the company who is a very pleasant person and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to learning languages.  He's very interesting to talk to.

            One type product I was so glad to have in front of me before purchasing was the Spn./Eng. dictionary.  I was able to have many of their dictionaries in front of me to compare with each other.  I love the fact that they have dictionaries w/o inappropriate words in them for the middle school grades.  I was able to compare each of those dictionaries with each other while sitting there looking at amount of entries, type of entries, etc.  It was very helpful.

            Anyway, I would like to go within a couple of weeks.  So in anyone has a product they would like for me to check out and report back to you, I would gladly do it.

            Sincerely,

            Gia

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2009
              I like to use the Globe Trekker travel series... the kids love them too! check out: http://www.pilotguides.com/tv_shows/globe_trekker/index.php

              --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, Gcsee@... wrote:

              > This might be a stretch especially since I haven't been feeling well, however, I would like to offer something to you all that may be of help.  I live kind of near Teacher's Discovery company.  Although it is a catalog place, you are able to go in and ask to view products.  They even have had a section of shelves in their small foyer that has free items for anyone to take since they've been damaged.  For example, I was able to get a free game of "Operando" since the corner of the box was badly damaged.  Cool, huh?!
              >

              > Anyway, when Marie mentioned the company, that lead to a chain of thoughts which gave me an idea.  I have been itching to go out there since I haven't been able to in a while.  So, if anyone would like for me to "scout out" anything for them, just let me know.  Of course, I can't preview videos (which is why I mentioned the chain of thoughts).  What I can do is this: go in, ask to see the product, they go in back to bring it to me, I not only can look at it or through it but can ask questions about it.  I know you can call and ask someone about the product and they are very helpful on the phone.  However, I have had the good fortune of having a few people helping me at once immediately if the first person helping me didn't know the answer rather than "getting back to me".  They hunt down the proper person for you until it's answered.  I have had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the company who is a very pleasant person and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to learning languages.  He's very interesting to talk to.
              >

              > One type product I was so glad to have in front of me before purchasing was the Spn./Eng. dictionary.  I was able to have many of their dictionaries in front of me to compare with each other.  I love the fact that they have dictionaries w/o inappropriate words in them for the middle school grades.  I was able to compare each of those dictionaries with each other while sitting there looking at amount of entries, type of entries, etc.  It was very helpful.
              >

              > Anyway, I would like to go within a couple of weeks.  So in anyone has a product they would like for me to check out and report back to you, I would gladly do it.
              >

              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Gia

            • Yolanda Eldred
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 20, 2009
                Just be sure if you get the Globetrekker videos that they are sanitized.  I teach middle school and I ordered the whole set to use and had to get rid of them because of inappropriate content.  Such as, the Ecuador one had a man using the bathroom in the street (it is implied) and another one I believe for Mexico had the host of the video sunning barechested (implied).  I use the video visit series, the kids love the Teacher's Discovery food series videos and the 2 Samantha Brown videos from Spain.