nuestro hidalgo, Don Quixote!

  • Mr. CB
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
      ¡Buenos días a todos!

      I'm in a bit of a jam here. I'm a second year teacher, and I'm the only Spanish teacher in the district. While I collaborate with friends at other schools, I'd like to see if anyone would be able to help.

      I'm teaching Don Quixote to my Spanish 3's and my 4's (separate classes).  The text I'm using is a ery skinny yellow book, which is an "Adaption for Intermediate Students", by William T. Tardy.  So far, I've showed a 30-45 min cartoon of DQ, in English to them to give them an idea of what the story is about.  I've also given them basic information about Cervantes (Did you know that BOTH Cervantes and Shakespeare died on April 23, 1616!? Wow.).  I also told them about how some people out there say DQ is a comedy, a love story, a social/political parody, etc, so they can keep that question in mind as we are reading the story and talking about it in class.

      Now comes the hard part. I have NO IDEA what to do with it.  All I know is that this has potential to be the one thing they remember from their Spanish HS studies and I want it to be a positive and fun experience.  I looked around in the folders and files that people have posted over time and I didn't seem to find anything related to Don Quixote.

      I created a folder titled "Don Quixote" and I will be posting some of my notes in there for people to see and comment on and offer advice.  Also, does anyone have any teaching/project ideas, lesson plans, any kind of ideas they would be willing to share with either me or upload to the folder?

      Muchisimas gracias.
    • genwatson1
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
        Saludos,
        I took an entire semester on Don Quixote in college and while it may
        be too much for high school there were certainly parts that you could
        adapt for high school and for the length of time that you have. So,
        I'm going to give you my instructor's email address in hopes that you
        can contact him. He has everything saved on his computer and could
        just attach files. robert.griffin@...

        I haven't been in touch with him in awhile so this may be of no help,
        and if it's not, I apologize. Hope it does help though!

        Gen

        --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. CB" <mrcosb96@...>
        wrote:

        > ¡Buenos días a todos!
        >
        > I'm in a bit of a jam here. I'm a second year teacher, and I'm the
        only
        > Spanish teacher in the district. While I collaborate with friends at
        > other schools, I'd like to see if anyone would be able to help.
        >
        > I'm teaching Don Quixote to my Spanish 3's and my 4's (separate
        > classes). The text I'm using is a ery skinny yellow book, which is
        an
        > "Adaption for Intermediate Students", by William T. Tardy. So far,
        I've
        > showed a 30-45 min cartoon of DQ, in English to them to give them an
        > idea of what the story is about. I've also given them basic
        information
        > about Cervantes (Did you know that BOTH Cervantes and Shakespeare
        died
        > on April 23, 1616!? Wow.). I also told them about how some people
        out
        > there say DQ is a comedy, a love story, a social/political parody,
        etc,
        > so they can keep that question in mind as we are reading the story
        and
        > talking about it in class.
        >
        > Now comes the hard part. I have NO IDEA what to do with it. All I
        know
        > is that this has potential to be the one thing they remember from
        their
        > Spanish HS studies and I want it to be a positive and fun
        experience. I
        > looked around in the folders and files that people have posted over
        time
        > and I didn't seem to find anything related to Don Quixote.
        >
        > I created a folder titled "Don Quixote" and I will be posting some
        of my
        > notes in there for people to see and comment on and offer advice.
        Also,
        > does anyone have any teaching/project ideas, lesson plans, any kind
        of
        > ideas they would be willing to share with either me or upload to the
        > folder?
        >
        > Muchisimas gracias.

      • John Boehner
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
          After we read a chapter I did a very simple summary of the chapter in Spanish and this is what I quizzed on.   I also had the class draw pictures of Nuestro hildago and su escudero and of various scenes from waht we read.  I took vocabulary from the chapters and made it the "vocab list" and had puzzles for them to complete.  Finally, some of your tech savvy kids might want to make a video of their version of a chapter.

          "Mr. CB" <mrcosb96@...> wrote:
[...]

        • katielarsenmaestra
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2008
            I am in the same boat! I am also using the same book. Unfortunately,
            I am teaching the class via the web. My students are having a
            difficult time with the vocab...how many pages do you assign at a
            time. Where did you get the cartoon?
            thanks for any info! I will hopefully be able to add some plans to
            your folder asap!

            wrote:

            > ¡Buenos días a todos!
            >
            > I'm in a bit of a jam here. I'm a second year teacher, and I'm the
            only
            > Spanish teacher in the district. While I collaborate with friends at
            > other schools, I'd like to see if anyone would be able to help.
            >
            > I'm teaching Don Quixote to my Spanish 3's and my 4's (separate
            > classes). The text I'm using is a ery skinny yellow book, which is
            an
            > "Adaption for Intermediate Students", by William T. Tardy. So far,
            I've
            > showed a 30-45 min cartoon of DQ, in English to them to give them an
            > idea of what the story is about. I've also given them basic
            information
            > about Cervantes (Did you know that BOTH Cervantes and Shakespeare
            died
            > on April 23, 1616!? Wow.). I also told them about how some people
            out
            > there say DQ is a comedy, a love story, a social/political parody,
            etc,
            > so they can keep that question in mind as we are reading the story
            and
            > talking about it in class.
            >
            > Now comes the hard part. I have NO IDEA what to do with it. All I
            know
            > is that this has potential to be the one thing they remember from
            their
            > Spanish HS studies and I want it to be a positive and fun
            experience. I
            > looked around in the folders and files that people have posted over
            time
            > and I didn't seem to find anything related to Don Quixote.
            >
            > I created a folder titled "Don Quixote" and I will be posting some
            of my
            > notes in there for people to see and comment on and offer advice.
            Also,
            > does anyone have any teaching/project ideas, lesson plans, any kind
            of
            > ideas they would be willing to share with either me or upload to the
            > folder?
            >
            > Muchisimas gracias.

          • vance_pitman
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
              You might want to consider showing Man of La Mancha. It's an older but
              fairly well-known movie, and most of the Quijote story is told as an
              envelope story (story inside a story). If your students have read the
              abridged version of the story, then you won't have any trouble with
              them being confused by the two story lines. It would also allow for a
              variety of compare/contrast type discussion and writing.

              I showed it to my Spanish 2 classes (skipping the scene where Dulcinea
              is cornered in the stable!), and they enjoyed it. I was a little
              worried, since it is an older movie and a bit depressing, but for the
              most part, they enjoyed it. A fellow teacher helped with some
              worksheets to help keep them focused on the movie and keep straight
              what was happening, but they had a lot of intelligent questions. I
              timed it so that it came right after the history classes had studied
              the Inquisition.
              VPitman

              --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, "genwatson1"
              <genwatson1@...> wrote:

              > Saludos,
              > I took an entire semester on Don Quixote in college and while it may
              > be too much for high school there were certainly parts that you could
              > adapt for high school and for the length of time that you have. So,
              > I'm going to give you my instructor's email address in hopes that you
              > can contact him. He has everything saved on his computer and could
              > just attach files. robert.griffin@...
              >
              > I haven't been in touch with him in awhile so this may be of no help,
              > and if it's not, I apologize. Hope it does help though!
              >
              > Gen
              >
              > --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. CB" <mrcosb96@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > ¡Buenos días a todos!
              > >
              > > I'm in a bit of a jam here. I'm a second year teacher, and I'm the
              > only
              > > Spanish teacher in the district. While I collaborate with friends at
              > > other schools, I'd like to see if anyone would be able to help.
              > >
              > > I'm teaching Don Quixote to my Spanish 3's and my 4's (separate
              > > classes). The text I'm using is a ery skinny yellow book, which is
              > an
              > > "Adaption for Intermediate Students", by William T. Tardy. So far,
              > I've
              > > showed a 30-45 min cartoon of DQ, in English to them to give them an
              > > idea of what the story is about. I've also given them basic
              > information
              > > about Cervantes (Did you know that BOTH Cervantes and Shakespeare
              > died
              > > on April 23, 1616!? Wow.). I also told them about how some people
              > out
              > > there say DQ is a comedy, a love story, a social/political parody,
              > etc,
              > > so they can keep that question in mind as we are reading the story
              > and
              > > talking about it in class.
              > >
              > > Now comes the hard part. I have NO IDEA what to do with it. All I
              > know
              > > is that this has potential to be the one thing they remember from
              > their
              > > Spanish HS studies and I want it to be a positive and fun
              > experience. I
              > > looked around in the folders and files that people have posted over
              > time
              > > and I didn't seem to find anything related to Don Quixote.
              > >
              > > I created a folder titled "Don Quixote" and I will be posting some
              > of my
              > > notes in there for people to see and comment on and offer advice.
              > Also,
              > > does anyone have any teaching/project ideas, lesson plans, any kind
              > of
              > > ideas they would be willing to share with either me or upload to the
              > > folder?
              > >
              > > Muchisimas gracias.

            • Kristen Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
                I loved this movie. My students did not really enjoy it but I continue to show it. I have an essay test that goes along with it.

                Kristen Thomas
                UHS Spanish Teacher
                UHS Cheerleading Head Coach
                http://www.aplausos.us

                ymailto="mailto:maestrosdeespanol%40yahoogroups.com">maestrosdeespanol@ yahoogroups. com, "Mr. CB" <mrcosb96@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > ¡Buenos días a todos!
                > >
                > > I'm in a bit of a jam here. I'm a second year teacher, and I'm the
                > only
                > > Spanish teacher in the district. While I collaborate with friends at
                > > other schools, I'd like to see if anyone would be able to help.
                > >
                > > I'm teaching Don Quixote to my Spanish 3's and my 4's (separate
                > > classes). The text I'm using is a ery skinny yellow book, which is
                > an
                > > "Adaption for Intermediate Students", by William T. Tardy. So far,
                > I've
                > > showed a 30-45 min cartoon of DQ, in English to them to give them an
                > > idea of what the story is about. I've also given them basic
                > information
                > > about Cervantes (Did you know that BOTH
                Cervantes and Shakespeare
                > died
                > > on April 23, 1616!? Wow.). I also told them about how some people
                > out
                > > there say DQ is a comedy, a love story, a social/political parody,
                > etc,
                > > so they can keep that question in mind as we are reading the story
                > and
                > > talking about it in class.
                > >
                > > Now comes the hard part. I have NO IDEA what to do with it. All I
                > know
                > > is that this has potential to be the one thing they remember from
                > their
                > > Spanish HS studies and I want it to be a positive and fun
                > experience. I
                > > looked around in the folders and files that people have posted over
                > time
                > > and I didn't seem to find anything related to Don Quixote.
                > >
                > > I created a folder titled "Don Quixote" and I will be posting some
                > of my
                > > notes in there for
                people to see and comment on and offer advice.
                > Also,
                > > does anyone have any teaching/project ideas, lesson plans, any kind
                > of
                > > ideas they would be willing to share with either me or upload to the
                > > folder?
                > >
                > > Muchisimas gracias.

              • Sr. A. Piedra
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 18, 2008
                  If you are willing to share the essay test, can you please upload it
                  to the "don quijote folder". Thank you! apio61

                  --- In maestrosdeespanol@yahoogroups.com, Kristen Thomas

                  ______________
                  > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                  > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

                • pinkdaisy210
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008
                    I had the same experience with Man of La Mancha, so I now use the 1999
                    Hallmark version of Don Quixote with Bob Hoskins and Vanessa Williams.
                    My students love it and I am able to check it out of my local library.

                    I have about 10 "short" essay/reflection questions for students to
                    respond to after viewing the film. I give them some time to write, then
                    we share and this usually leads to a pretty neat classroom discussion.

                    I would be happy to post the questions, however I have to warn you that
                    I teach in a private school so some of the questions are spiritually
                    focused.
                  • Renee Scott

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 19, 2008

                        Hola, I created the DQ folder in hopes of people sharing what they have.  I assume that if it's posted in a file format that can allow formatting, it would be great!  So if you work at a private school and there is religious connotation, please post it anyway! I assume that we as professional teachers would then make a decision as to use it or not!

                        Besides, you never know, maybe there's a lot of us out there that don't work in public schools!

                        ¡Gracias!