Re: [madronavillage2] Newsletter Advertising

  • Jorge Trujillo
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2006
      I'm into Real Estate so let me know if there are any openings. I noticed somebody else was already on the newslatter. Let me know if I can be in for future issues.

      Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@...> wrote:
      We hadnt come up with a full year discount yet. IMO,
      we are slightly underpriced on our space as is based
      on some comps that we looked at. So to answer your
      question, $50 per issue because we arent sure that we
      will have 4 per year. That is our intent, but we
      arent promising 4 due to time constraints.

      One more caveat, we will be limiting the ads to one
      per discipline. I.E. If one "Surprise" party person
      applies, we won't let another "Surprise" ad in the
      same issue. That will make the ads more meaningful
      for your $50.

      --- Jorge Trujillo <trujijm@yahoo. com> wrote:

      > How much does the whole year cost?.
      >
      > Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      > Any of you business owners in our subdivision that
      > are interested in
      > advertising in our HOA newsletter please let me know
      > ASAP. A business
      > card sized ad is $50 for each newsletter. We do not
      > employ a graphic
      > artist so you must supply your own
      > card/advertisement.
      >
      > email me offline ASAP
      >
      > goinyard1244@ yahoo.com
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Al

    • Jessica Guenther
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hi Jorge-
        I've seen the newsletter and, it's a little "blah". Would you be open for suggestions or are you looking for someone help to lay it out? I've got experience, and a great name for the newsletter to make it more appealing (Sidewalk Talk). I was looking forward to seeing who won the holiday decorating contest that was to be announced in the last newsletter, but nothing was in there. Seemed a little empty in content and lacked pizazz. I would be happy to help! Let me know!

        Jorge Trujillo <trujijm@...> wrote:
        I'm into Real Estate so let me know if there are any openings. I noticed somebody else was already on the newslatter. Let me know if I can be in for future issues.

        Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@...> wrote:
        We hadnt come up with a full year discount yet. IMO,
        we are slightly underpriced on our space as is based
        on some comps that we looked at. So to answer your
        question, $50 per issue because we arent sure that we
        will have 4 per year. That is our intent, but we
        arent promising 4 due to time constraints.

        One more caveat, we will be limiting the ads to one
        per discipline. I.E. If one "Surprise" party person
        applies, we won't let another "Surprise" ad in the
        same issue. That will make the ads more meaningful
        for your $50.

        --- Jorge Trujillo <trujijm@yahoo. com> wrote:

        > How much does the whole year cost?.
        >
        > Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        > Any of you business owners in our subdivision that
        > are interested in
        > advertising in our HOA newsletter please let me know
        > ASAP. A business
        > card sized ad is $50 for each newsletter. We do not
        > employ a graphic
        > artist so you must supply your own
        > card/advertisement.
        >
        > email me offline ASAP
        >
        > goinyard1244@ yahoo.com
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Al

      • Jessica Guenther
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006
          Sorry, Jorge....this message was intended for Al Villasenor!

          Jessica Guenther <jguenther75@...> wrote:
          Hi Jorge-
          I've seen the newsletter and, it's a little "blah". Would you be open for suggestions or are you looking for someone help to lay it out? I've got experience, and a great name for the newsletter to make it more appealing (Sidewalk Talk). I was looking forward to seeing who won the holiday decorating contest that was to be announced in the last newsletter, but nothing was in there. Seemed a little empty in content and lacked pizazz. I would be happy to help! Let me know!

          Jorge Trujillo <trujijm@...> wrote:
          I'm into Real Estate so let me know if there are any openings. I noticed somebody else was already on the newslatter. Let me know if I can be in for future issues.

          Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@...> wrote:
          We hadnt come up with a full year discount yet. IMO,
          we are slightly underpriced on our space as is based
          on some comps that we looked at. So to answer your
          question, $50 per issue because we arent sure that we
          will have 4 per year. That is our intent, but we
          arent promising 4 due to time constraints.

          One more caveat, we will be limiting the ads to one
          per discipline. I.E. If one "Surprise" party person
          applies, we won't let another "Surprise" ad in the
          same issue. That will make the ads more meaningful
          for your $50.

          --- Jorge Trujillo <trujijm@yahoo. com> wrote:

          > How much does the whole year cost?.
          >
          > Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@ yahoo.com> wrote:
          > Any of you business owners in our subdivision that
          > are interested in
          > advertising in our HOA newsletter please let me know
          > ASAP. A business
          > card sized ad is $50 for each newsletter. We do not
          > employ a graphic
          > artist so you must supply your own
          > card/advertisement.
          >
          > email me offline ASAP
          >
          > goinyard1244@ yahoo.com
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Al

        • Al Villasenor
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006
            Jorge,

            We already do have a realtor, but Ill let you know if
            that slot opens up or if we choose to do away with the
            exclusivity.

            Jessica,

            Mutki Thakkar is in charge of the newsletter. You may
            want to email her offline muktithakkar@....

            I believe that gramatically correct, correct spelling
            and factually coorrect are our goals right now, and we
            struggle with those as none of us are writers. I
            don't know that an expectation of more than "blah" is
            realistic but Im sure that input is welcome.

            wrote:

            > Sorry, Jorge....this message was intended for Al
            > Villasenor!
            >
            > Jessica Guenther <jguenther75@...> wrote:
            > Hi Jorge-
            > I've seen the newsletter and, it's a little
            > "blah". Would you be open for suggestions or are you
            > looking for someone help to lay it out? I've got
            > experience, and a great name for the newsletter to
            > make it more appealing (Sidewalk Talk). I was
            > looking forward to seeing who won the holiday
            > decorating contest that was to be announced in the
            > last newsletter, but nothing was in there. Seemed a
            > little empty in content and lacked pizazz. I would
            > be happy to help! Let me know!
            >
            > Jorge Trujillo <trujijm@...> wrote:
            > I'm into Real Estate so let me know if there
            > are any openings. I noticed somebody else was
            > already on the newslatter. Let me know if I can be
            > in for future issues.
            >
            > Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@...> wrote:
            > We hadnt come up with a full year discount
            > yet. IMO,
            > we are slightly underpriced on our space as is based
            > on some comps that we looked at. So to answer your
            > question, $50 per issue because we arent sure that
            > we
            > will have 4 per year. That is our intent, but we
            > arent promising 4 due to time constraints.
            >
            > One more caveat, we will be limiting the ads to one
            > per discipline. I.E. If one "Surprise" party person
            > applies, we won't let another "Surprise" ad in the
            > same issue. That will make the ads more meaningful
            > for your $50.
            >
            > --- Jorge Trujillo <trujijm@...> wrote:
            >
            > > How much does the whole year cost?.
            > >
            > > Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@...> wrote:
            > > Any of you business owners in our subdivision that
            > > are interested in
            > > advertising in our HOA newsletter please let me
            > know
            > > ASAP. A business
            > > card sized ad is $50 for each newsletter. We do
            > not
            > > employ a graphic
            > > artist so you must supply your own
            > > card/advertisement.
            > >
            > > email me offline ASAP
            > >
            > > goinyard1244@...
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Al

            > Beta.

            > Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo!
            > Mail Beta.

          • Carol Podraza
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006

              I think that anytime you’re going to charge someone for advertising space, then there needs to be an expectation of better than “blah”. Having correct grammar and spelling is fine and good, but frankly I’d rather have a few typos and misspelled words than a newsletter full of boring stuff I don’t want to read anyway.  A little pizzazz goes a long way and I’m sure that there are plenty of people with experience who actually are writers who would be willing to help out in order to liven it up a little bit.

              I would also think that you could incorporate more than one service provider per specialty in the newsletter.  I have been in direct sales before and didn’t mind the competition.  Not every realtor, Surprise Party Rep or Lawn Service is going to appeal to everyone. Imagine the phone book if they only allowed one number per service provider.  I’m sure there are dissenting opinions regarding “I’m paying $50 so I BETTER be the only one in there.”  So in advance, might I say, point taken.

              wrote:
              > > Any of you business owners in our subdivision that
              > > are interested in
              > > advertising in our HOA newsletter please let me
              > know
              > > ASAP. A business
              > > card sized ad is $50 for each newsletter. We do
              > not
              > > employ a graphic
              > > artist so you must supply your own
              > > card/advertisement.
              > >
              > > email me offline ASAP
              > >
              > > goinyard1244@...
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Al

              > Beta.

              > Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo!
              > Mail Beta.

            • Al Villasenor
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006
                Realistically we are somewhat limited on space, so the
                exclusivity works in creating a diverse advertising
                pool (we could easily get 4-5 realtors alone).

                I jest as to the expectations, but realistically it is
                an HOA newletter not People Magazine. Not sure how
                much pizzazz there could be. As an advertiser, the
                draw to me is that it is going directly to 682 homes.

              • Carol Podraza
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006

                  Point taken on the direct link to 682 homes.  I still have to say that something with a little more flair and excitement might encourage a few more of those 682 homeowners to actually view your ads.  I don’t think you have to be “just” an HOA newsletter.  Like Jessica mentioned, there were some holiday announcements that were missed – I think you can expand a little bit and offer more than just meeting minutes or service ads.  A little creativity and you can have something more functional without adding a lot of cost.  Offering the occasional landscaping article, home repair tips, new neighbor spotlights (for those interested) etc. would help bring a very large neighborhood just a bit closer together.  Another item to consider would be to put together a Madrona Village Service Directory.  I think 2 a year would be nice.  Have all interested service providers submit their own artwork along with their fee and publish a small directory that would go out to all homeowners and then be given to new homeowners. Plumbers, painters, realtors, printers, Mary Kay, Tupperware, computer specialists, tutors, landscapers…even babysitters.  I would love to have something like that handy at my home.  Then you can raise a little extra money to go towards sprucing up that newsletter!

                  Realistically we are somewhat limited on space, so the
                  exclusivity works in creating a diverse advertising
                  pool (we could easily get 4-5 realtors alone).

                  I jest as to the expectations, but realistically it is
                  an HOA newletter not People Magazine. Not sure how
                  much pizzazz there could be. As an advertiser, the
                  draw to me is that it is going directly to 682 homes.

                  --- Carol Podraza <cpodraza@...> wrote:

                  > I think that anytime you're going to charge someone
                  > for advertising space,
                  > then there needs to be an expectation of better than
                  > "blah". Having correct
                  > grammar and spelling is fine and good, but frankly
                  > I'd rather have a few
                  > typos and misspelled words than a newsletter full of
                  > boring stuff I don't
                  > want to read anyway. A little pizzazz goes a long
                  > way and I'm sure that
                  > there are plenty of people with experience who
                  > actually are writers who
                  > would be willing to help out in order to liven it up
                  > a little bit.
                  >

                  > I would also think that you could incorporate more
                  > than one service provider
                  > per specialty in the newsletter. I have been in
                  > direct sales before and
                  > didn't mind the competition. Not every realtor,
                  > Surprise Party Rep or Lawn
                  > Service is going to appeal to everyone. Imagine the
                  > phone book if they only
                  > allowed one number per service provider. I'm sure
                  > there are dissenting
                  > opinions regarding "I'm paying $50 so I BETTER be
                  > the only one in there."
                  > So in advance, might I say, point taken.
                  >

                  > From: madronavillage2@yahoogroups.com

                • Al Villasenor
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006
                    Those are all great ideas Carol. I think I posted
                    Mukti's email address for those who want to help to
                    contact her offline. Email me if you need it again.

                    With the service directory. The Chamber of Commerce
                    is in the process of publishing its new directory/map.
                    Sadly, Im not in it, but you all get bombarded by my
                    ads everywhere else. I figured for one year at least,
                    lets let them do the work and bear the expense. Ill
                    see how many I can get my hands on, Im hoping for 682!

                    === message truncated ===
                  • Jessica Guenther
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006
                      Carol, great points-Thanks for elaborating...you typed the words straight from my keyboard :o)
                      I have been in conversations with Mukti this afternoon, and hope to contribute to the Special Events and newsletter committee (CP: since we're next door neighbors we can collaborate on topics if you like).
                      Al-While I realize our little ole newsletter will never compare to a large magazine, I definitely think some extra oomph, a few personal touches, and interaction with the homeowners would draw more attention to the HOA in a positive light. I like to read things that make me giggle or wholeheartedly agree or...get so mad I wanna call someone to have it taken care of right away. That's the reaction we need. And I think we really need to beef up the spotlight on this forum. It's great to have the HOA members and our neighbors at our fingertips....As long as there are volunteers to whoop it up some....why not make it the best it can be?

                      --- Carol Podraza <cpodraza@comcast. net> wrote:

                      > Point taken on the direct link to 682 homes. I
                      > still have to say that
                      > something with a little more flair and excitement
                      > might encourage a few more
                      > of those 682 homeowners to actually view your ads.
                      > I don't think you have
                      > to be "just" an HOA newsletter. Like Jessica
                      > mentioned, there were some
                      > holiday announcements that were missed - I think you
                      > can expand a little bit
                      > and offer more than just meeting minutes or service
                      > ads. A little
                      > creativity and you can have something more
                      > functional without adding a lot
                      > of cost. Offering the occasional landscaping
                      > article, home repair tips, new
                      > neighbor spotlights (for those interested) etc.
                      > would help bring a very
                      > large neighborhood just a bit closer together.
                      > Another item to consider
                      > would be to put together a Madrona Village Service
                      > Directory. I think 2 a
                      > year would be nice. Have all interested service
                      > providers submit their own
                      > artwork along with their fee and publish a small
                      > directory that would go out
                      > to all homeowners and then be given to new
                      > homeowners. Plumbers, painters,
                      > realtors, printers, Mary Kay, Tupperware, computer
                      > specialists, tutors,
                      > landscapers. even babysitters. I would love to have
                      > something like that
                      > handy at my home. Then you can raise a little extra
                      > money to go towards
                      > sprucing up that newsletter!

                      === message truncated ===

                    • Al Villasenor
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006
                        I think that all you and Carol are saying is great. I
                        may be a bit jaded in that I have seen alot of people
                        with great ideas and seemingly great energy in our
                        greater RL community lack followthru. If it is OK
                        with Mukti (it is her committee after all), fits
                        within her budget, gets out in a timely manner and
                        does not offend anyone, by all means put out a top of
                        the line piece. As long as I don't have to do it.
                        I'll stick to selling ad space.

                        It is nice to see other members of our community get
                        excited about something.

                        > Al-While I realize our little ole newsletter will
                        > never compare to a large magazine, I definitely
                        > think some extra oomph, a few personal touches, and
                        > interaction with the homeowners would draw more
                        > attention to the HOA in a positive light. I like to
                        > read things that make me giggle or wholeheartedly
                        > agree or...get so mad I wanna call someone to have
                        > it taken care of right away. That's the reaction we
                        > need. And I think we really need to beef up the
                        > spotlight on this forum.
                      • Jessica Guenther
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006
                          You're really great at responding to all of us so quickly, Al :o)
                          I see your point... you've probably seen people come and go on this board that had good intentions, but lacked follow through. Well...I won't be one of "those people". I've been contimplating involvement since I moved in here a couple years ago. Sounds like Mukti needed another chair to fill on her board, so hopefully I get the thumbs up to sit in!
                          Happy 4th, everyone!
                          Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@...> wrote:
                          I think that all you and Carol are saying is great. I
                          may be a bit jaded in that I have seen alot of people
                          with great ideas and seemingly great energy in our
                          greater RL community lack followthru. If it is OK
                          with Mukti (it is her committee after all), fits
                          within her budget, gets out in a timely manner and
                          does not offend anyone, by all means put out a top of
                          the line piece. As long as I don't have to do it.
                          I'll stick to selling ad space.

                          It is nice to see other members of our community get
                          excited about something.

                          > Al-While I realize our little ole newsletter will
                          > never compare to a large magazine, I definitely
                          > think some extra oomph, a few personal touches, and
                          > interaction with the homeowners would draw more
                          > attention to the HOA in a positive light. I like to
                          > read things that make me giggle or wholeheartedly
                          > agree or...get so mad I wanna call someone to have
                          > it taken care of right away. That's the reaction we
                          > need. And I think we really need to beef up the
                          > spotlight on this forum.

                        • Carol Podraza
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 3, 2006

                            If anyone needs any help in this particular endeavor, please feel free to e-mail me.  I’d be happy to help out whenever I can.

                            You're really great at responding to all of us so quickly, Al :o)

                            I see your point... you've probably seen people come and go on this board that had good intentions, but lacked follow through. Well...I won't be one of "those people". I've been contimplating involvement since I moved in here a couple years ago. Sounds like Mukti needed another chair to fill on her board, so hopefully I get the thumbs up to sit in!

                            Happy 4th, everyone!

                            Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@...> wrote:

                            I think that all you and Carol are saying is great. I
                            may be a bit jaded in that I have seen alot of people
                            with great ideas and seemingly great energy in our
                            greater RL community lack followthru. If it is OK
                            with Mukti (it is her committee after all), fits
                            within her budget, gets out in a timely manner and
                            does not offend anyone, by all means put out a top of
                            the line piece. As long as I don't have to do it.
                            I'll stick to selling ad space.

                            It is nice to see other members of our community get
                            excited about something.

                            > Al-While I realize our little ole newsletter will
                            > never compare to a large magazine, I definitely
                            > think some extra oomph, a few personal touches, and
                            > interaction with the homeowners would draw more
                            > attention to the HOA in a positive light. I like to
                            > read things that make me giggle or wholeheartedly
                            > agree or...get so mad I wanna call someone to have
                            > it taken care of right away. That's the reaction we
                            > need. And I think we really need to beef up the
                            > spotlight on this forum.

                          • Jorge Trujillo
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 4, 2006
                              I know is not the best looking newslatter I've seen, but the fact to reach 682 homes and let all my neighbors that I can help them when selling or buying got my attention. Any ways a lot of you know I do Real Estate and wanted to take the opportunity to let you know about lot of good info in my Web Site, just go to www.JorgeTrujillo.com and subscribe.

                              Al Villasenor <goinyard1244@...> wrote:
                              Realistically we are somewhat limited on space, so the
                              exclusivity works in creating a diverse advertising
                              pool (we could easily get 4-5 realtors alone).

                              I jest as to the expectations, but realistically it is
                              an HOA newletter not People Magazine. Not sure how
                              much pizzazz there could be. As an advertiser, the
                              draw to me is that it is going directly to 682 homes.

                              --- Carol Podraza <cpodraza@comcast. net> wrote:

                              > I think that anytime you're going to charge someone
                              > for advertising space,
                              > then there needs to be an expectation of better than
                              > "blah". Having correct
                              > grammar and spelling is fine and good, but frankly
                              > I'd rather have a few
                              > typos and misspelled words than a newsletter full of
                              > boring stuff I don't
                              > want to read anyway. A little pizzazz goes a long
                              > way and I'm sure that
                              > there are plenty of people with experience who
                              > actually are writers who
                              > would be willing to help out in order to liven it up
                              > a little bit.
                              >

                              > I would also think that you could incorporate more
                              > than one service provider
                              > per specialty in the newsletter. I have been in
                              > direct sales before and
                              > didn't mind the competition. Not every realtor,
                              > Surprise Party Rep or Lawn
                              > Service is going to appeal to everyone. Imagine the
                              > phone book if they only
                              > allowed one number per service provider. I'm sure
                              > there are dissenting
                              > opinions regarding "I'm paying $50 so I BETTER be
                              > the only one in there."
                              > So in advance, might I say, point taken.

                              Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.
                              Great rates starting at 1¢/min.