Fw: What Paul Harris Said for sunday 31st December

  • rvepl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007

      To: RVEPL
      Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 2:44 PM
      Subject: Fw: What Paul Harris Said for sunday 31st December

      -
      Subject: What Paul Harris Said for sunday 31st December

      Rotary Global History Fellowship

      Authorized by Rotary International

      www.RotaryHistoryFellowship.org

      What Paul Harris Said

      December 31st 2006

      We are here on earth and we are here to stay during our respectively allotted periods. How much of happiness and how much of misery shall be our share remains with us almost entirely to determine. If we possess a modicum of reason, it will be apparent to us that it is the part of wisdom to cheerfully make the best of the situation and to harmonize our own lives with nature's inexorable laws. We are entitled to the maximum of happiness; and may we be sane enough to observe that the route to a life full of happiness does not lie in intemperate indulgence.

      We need and the world needs an optimistic, rational philosophy of life."

      The Distance Self” by Paul P Harris – The Rotarian, February 1914

      As we move into the next year of our lives, it is always a time of reflection with the past and excitement for the future. In today’s uncertain world, let your own lives be full of happiness for 2007 and based on our simple but straightforward Rotary way of life.

      For many of us, it is customary to sing the song "Auld Lang Syne" tomorrow. I close by copying down the first and last verses (in the original) for your enjoyment.

      "Should Auld Acquaintance be forgot

        And never brought to mind?

      Should Auld Acquaintance be forgot,

        And Auld Lang Syne!

      ...And there's a hand, my trusty fiere!

           And gie's a hand o' thine!

         And we'll tak a right gude-willie-waught,

        For Auld Lang Syne"

      Calum Thomson

      RGHF Chairman

      RC Longniddry & District,

      D-1020, Scotland.

      Please Note that from next week, our mailing features "Why I Am A Rotarian" and "What Paul Harris Said" will alternate on a weekly basis and be sent out each Saturday

      Add addresses? Change addresses? Remove duplicate mailings?

       www.joinrghf.org Become part of Rotary History
      www.whatpaulharrissaid.org "WPHS archives and submissions"
       www.ourfoundation.info RGHF's Rotary Foundation newsletter
       www.whyiam.org  "Why I am a Rotarian" archives, and submissions

      Comments to each of our features are found at www.rghfforum.org

      DISCLAIMER: The contents of all RGHF mailings, have been researched, collected, compiled, and written by Rotarians to preserve the history and underlying philosophies of the Rotary movement. This website was created on 11 October 2000. This fellowship is not an agency of, or controlled by, Rotary International, but is affiliated with individual Rotary districts, clubs, other Rotary organizations and enjoys the support of Rotarians, clubs, districts, and zones worldwide. The views and opinions expressed on this website are not necessarily the collective views and opinions of Rotary International or all Rotarians. Rotary International is not responsible for any content and accepts no liability therefore.

    • rvepl

        Comments to each of our features are found at www.rghfforum.org