Fw: What Paul Harris Said for Sunday December 3rd

  • RVEPL
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2006

      Rotary Global History Fellowship

      Authorized by Rotary International

      www.RotaryHistoryFellowship.org

      What Paul Harris Said

      December 3rd 2006

      In the pursuit of happiness, men most frequently turn to wealth; in it they hope to find enduring happiness. Some look for it in the possession of gold, King Midas' sad experience notwithstanding. They hoard it beyond all possible needs.

      Others expect to find it in the things which money can bring them: influence, power, business, and social prestige, the envy of those who are less opulent, and endless, interminable things.

      …If we heed the guide posts and danger signals which seers have hung out for the benefit of travelers on life's highway, we shall not look for happiness in the possession of money, nor in the possession of things which money will buy."

      Paul P Harris message on the 30th anniversary of Rotary, 1935

      This quotation reminds me of PRIP Cliff Dochterman’s theme for his Presidential Year – Real Happiness is Helping Others.

      Both of our Past Presidents are simply stating the most obvious fact in any Rotarian's life.

      Soon many Rotarians will be celebrating Christmas and looking forward to the New Year. Whatever plans you might make for 2007, consider Paul Harris’ words carefully.

      Please Note that from January  2007, our mailing features "Why I Am A Rotarian" and "What Paul Harris Said" will alternate on a weekly basis and be sent out each Saturday.

      Calum Thomson

      RGHF Chairman

      RC Longniddry & District,

      D-1020, Scotland.

      Add addresses? Change addresses? Remove duplicate mailings?

       www.joinrghf.org Become part of Rotary History
      www.whatpaulharrissaid.org "WPHS archives and submissions"
       www.ourfoundation.info RGHF's Rotary Foundation newsletter
       www.whyiam.org  "Why I am a Rotarian" archives, and submissions

      Comments to each of our features are found at www.rghfforum.org

      DISCLAIMER: The contents of all RGHF mailings, have been researched, collected, compiled, and written by Rotarians to preserve the history and underlying philosophies of the Rotary movement. This website was created on 11 October 2000. This fellowship is not an agency of, or controlled by, Rotary International, but is affiliated with individual Rotary districts, clubs, other Rotary organizations and enjoys the support of Rotarians, clubs, districts, and zones worldwide. The views and opinions expressed on this website are not necessarily the collective views and opinions of Rotary International or all Rotarians. Rotary International is not responsible for any content and accepts no liability therefore.