Rotary - What Paul Harris (and other Rotary Leaders) Said - May 23, 2005

  • ttech
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2005
      Rotary Global History Fellowship
      Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 7:31 PM
      Subject: Rotary - What Paul Harris (and other Rotary Leaders) Said - May 23, 2005

      Rotary Global History Fellowship

      Authorized by Rotary International

      What Paul Harris (and other Rotary Leaders) Said

      - May 23, 2005

      "Individual efforts when well directed can accomplish much, but the greatest good must necessarily come from the combined efforts of many men.  Individual efforts may be turned to individual needs but combined effort should be dedicated to the service of mankind.

      The power of combined effort knows no limitation . . . .On no occasion has the cumulative power of all Rotary even been felt.

      We shall strike a mighty blow some day and we thenceforth shall know ourselves."

      Paul P. Harris,

      The Rotarian,

      July 1917

      Almost 90 years ago when Rotary’s founder Paul P. Harris wrote the word "we" he meant you and I.  Collectively you and I – Rotarians -- we!  The power of combined effort knows no limitation.

      By joining your fellow club members and Rotarians worldwide in humanitarian, educational and cultural projects we truly make a difference.

      Your $100 contribution to the Polio Eradication Campaign effectively buys over a thousand doses of polio immunization and you should feel the power of this PolioPlus effort and be proud of the fact that a Rotarian in a far away land is squeezing that small vial and in the administration of those two drops and the thousands that follow are our universal and collective effort to eliminate the dreaded killer and crippler of children (polio) from this earth.

      We will soon conquer the wild poliovirus.  Very soon… “We shall strike a mighty blow some day and we thenceforth shall know ourselves."

      It is important for all of us to make our yearly contribution to the 2000-05 Annual Programs Fund as soon as possible so that we together (Every Rotarian, Every Year) will meet our goals.

      Dr. Edward “Eddie” Blender,

      Editor, WPHS

      PDG D5470

      Vail - Eagle Valley Rotary

      Fellow Rotarians,

      Thank you Eddie, for this week’s quote by Rotary Founder Paul Harris. He was the first President of the National Association of Rotary Clubs 1910-1911 and the first President of the International Association of Rotary Clubs for 1911-1912. That name was later shortened to Rotary International in 1922. You can read more about it on our website at www.rotaryhistoryfellowship.org/presidents/1910harris/paulharris/ and www.rotaryhistoryfellowship.org/history/history/index.htm.

      This week’s quote about the Power of Combined Efforts is about Building Bridges, which was the theme for the Rotary District 5170 Conference last weekend. This conference took place in Santa Clara , CA and I was invited to speak about “Paul Harris’ Exciting Youth”.

      District Governor Ron Sekkel (left) at the Rotary District 5170 Conference together with RGHF Chairman Mats Ingemanson. Ron is a member of Rotary Global History Fellowship.

      I learned this weekend that Rotary District 5170 is one of the largest contributors to the Rotary Foundation with $513,694 as of April 30 this year, which is $130.57 per capita. Since July 1, 2004, the Rotarians in District 5170 have also donated more than $650,000 toward humanitarian programs. In addition, they raised more than $1,000,000 in the last three years for the eradication of polio.

      Rotary District 5170 also collaborated to provide a state of the art, Intensive Care Unit in a hospital in Butare , Rwanda , which is expected to serve 2 million people. They responded to the need for Tsunami relief by raising approximately $150,000 in one month to purchase water purification equipment for 10,000 people in Sri Lanka .

      Congratulations to District Governor Ron Sekkel and the 3,917 Rotarians in Rotary District 5170. You have set the standards for what “Service Above Self” really means. It was a great pleasure for me to participate in your district conference.

      RGHF Chairman Mats Ingemanson (left) at the Rotary District 5170 Conference together with Holger “Hogie” Hansen (middle) from the Rotary Foundation and Past President of Rotary International 1986-87 M.A,T. Caparas (right).

      RI Past President M.A,T. Caparas is from the Philippines. You can read about him our website at www.rotaryhistoryfellowship.org/global/asia/clubs/01manila.htm.

      While at the Rotary District 5170, I also had the pleasure of meeting Rotary Global History Fellowship Director and webmaster Don Murphy . He is doing a great job maintaining our website. You can read more about Don on our website at www.rotaryhistoryfellowship.org/committee/operations.htm#don_murphy.

      I also met Ron Pavellas, who is Charter President of the Stockholm International Rotary Club in Sweden . Ron used to be a member of the Rotary Club of Oakland, which is the third oldest Rotary Club in the world (and part of Rotary District 5170). Ron now lives in Sweden and was back in California for vacation. I will meet Ron again in Stockholm on Monday June 30th when I am going to visit the Rotary Club of Stockholm International. You can read more about the Stockholm International Rotary Club of on the Internet at http://web.telia.com/~u88908721/rotaryindex.html and the Rotary Club of Oakland at www.rotaryhistoryfellowship.org/clubs/cities/clubs/03oakland.htm.

      Our weekly newsletter with quotes from “What Paul Harris (and other Rotary Leaders) Said” is getting increasingly popular among Rotarians around the world. As an example of that, I recently received the following request from District Governor Elect John Ramsey:

      My name is John Ramsey and I'm the District Governor Elect in Charleston , SC , for District 7770.  I love your short histories and comments.  I would like to get these going to all my President Elects.  Thanks for all your help and thoughts!

      In response to John’s request, we asked him to submit the e-mail addresses of the President Elects in his Rotary District, which is now done. The President Elects will now receive our weekly newsletter. Other Rotary Districts are also welcome to submit the e-mail addresses for Rotarians, who would like to receive our newsletter. The e-mail address is the only information we need.

      Rotary Global History Fellowship is organized in the International Rotary Sprit with members from all over the world. You can become a member by clicking on the link www.joinrghf.org.

      More and more Rotary Clubs read our weekly feature “What Paul Harris Said” at their Rotary meetings. You can read previous issues of “What Paul Harris Said” on our website at www.WhatPaulHarrisSaid.org. Your friends can also sign up to receive “What Paul Harris Said.” To subscribe, send an email with the single word, in the subject line: subscribe to chairman@...

      Rotary is about Fellowship,

      Leadership and Service!

      Mats Ingemanson

      Rotary Global History Fellowship

      (Authorized by Rotary International)

      Eddie Blender has prepared a Rotary Anniversary Issue from Rotary Global History Fellowship. It has six pages of great information with pictures about how Rotary started the Early Years of Rotary and the spirit of Rotary. You can download a free copy from our website at http://rotaryhistoryfellowship.org/Rotary_GHF_Anniversary_Issue.pdf.

      When Rotary International President Glenn Estess announced his Presidential theme “Celebrate Rotary,” he said the following:

      Our first hundred years will stand as an inspiring record of men and women of all races, religions, nationalities and political creeds who have made significant contributions to creating a more peaceful world.

      Rotary International Past President 2000-2001 Frank J. Devlyn said:

      Rotary Global History Fellowship is an instrumental tool for those forward-thinking people who wish to learn from our history, in order to guide our future.

      DISCLAIMER: The contents of this project, our features and newsletter have been researched, collected, compiled, and written by Rotarians to preserve the history and underlying philosophies of the Rotary movement. This fellowship is not an agency of, or controlled by, Rotary International, but is affiliated with individual Rotary districts, clubs, other Rotary organizations and enjoys the support of Rotarians, clubs, districts, and zones world-wide.  The views and opinions expressed on this website are not necessarily the collective views and opinions of Rotary International or all Rotarians. Rotary International is not responsible for any content and accepts no liability therefore.