Eradicate Polio Make History!

  • Madhukar Malhotra
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2013
      NEWS
      RELEASE
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      CONTACT:
      Petina Dixon-Jenkins (847) 866-3054; petina.dixon@...

      Rotary
      and Gates Foundation extend fundraising agreement to end polio

      New match
      arrangement could raise US$525 million for global eradication effort

      LISBON,
      Portugal (25 June 2013)  Rotary International and the Bill &
      Melinda Gates Foundation today announced an extension of their existing
      fundraising partnership that could generate up to US$525 million in new money
      for polio eradication as the global effort to end this crippling disease enters
      its critical endgame phase.

      Under the
      new agreement, announced before an audience of more than 20,000 Rotary members
      from 160 countries gathered in Lisbon for the humanitarian group’s annual convention,
      the Gates Foundation will match 2 for 1 every new dollar Rotary commits to
      polio eradication up to $35 million per year through 2018.

      “When Rotarians
      combine the passion for service along with the power of a global network, you
      are unstoppable, and the Gates Foundation is proud to partner with you,” said
      Gates Foundation CEO Jeff Raikes in a video message to convention attendees. “We will combine the
      strength of Rotary’s network with our resources and together with the other
      partners in the Global Polio Eradication Initiative we will not only end a
      disease, we will change the face of public health forever.”

      All funds
      raised will support crucial immunization activities in polio-affected countries.
      These are part of a comprehensive six-year plan to eradicate both wild
      poliovirus and vaccine-derived virus announced in April by the eradication
      initiative during the Global Vaccine Summit in Abu Dhabi. At the Summit, global
      leaders and individual philanthropists signaled their confidence in the endgame
      plan by pledging $4 billion, nearly three-quarters of the plan’s projected $5.5
      billion cost. They also called upon additional donors to commit the additional
      $1.5 billion needed to ensure eradication. Since then, the government of
      Australia, and now Rotary, are committing funding toward the remaining $1.5
      billion gap through 2018.

      Rotary and
      the Gates Foundation have partnered on polio eradication since 2007, when the Gates Foundation gave Rotary a $100 million
      challenge grant for polio eradication, increasing it to $355 million in 2009.
      Rotary agreed to raise $200 million in matching funds by June 2012. When the
      organization achieved its fundraising goal six months ahead of schedule, the
      Gates Foundation granted Rotary an additional $50 million.

      To date, Rotary
      clubs worldwide have contributed $1.2 billion to the polio eradication effort.

      “We’re at a
      critical point in the fight to end polio,” said Past Rotary Vice President John
      Germ, who leads the organization’s fundraising efforts for polio eradication. “We
      must capitalize on this progress to finish the job. We have a robust plan, the
      tools to reach each child, and with funding in place, we can win against this
      devastating disease. Rotary and its partners remain committed to a polio-free
      world.”

      Germ also
      announced a new contribution of $1 million from Sir Emeka Offor, a Nigerian
      Rotarian and philanthropist, as one of the first major gifts to be matched
      under the new agreement with Gates.

      Rotary
      helped launch the eradication initiative in 1988, along with spearheading
      partners the World Health Organization, UNICEF, and the US Centers for Disease
      Control and Prevention. Since then, new polio cases have plunged by more than 99
      percent worldwide, from 350,000 cases annually to just 223 in 2012. Only three
      countries remain polio-endemic: Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan. However, every
      nation remains at risk for infections “imported” from the endemic countries. Europe
      has been polio-free since 2002.

      About
      Rotary

      Rotary is a worldwide
      organization of business and professional leaders who provide humanitarian
      service and help to build goodwill and peace in the world. Rotary’s global
      membership is approximately 1.2 million men and women who belong to more than 34,000
      Rotary clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas.
      Rotary’s top priority is the global eradication of polio.

      To access
      broadcast quality video footage and still photos of Rotary members immunizing
      children against polio available go to: Media
      Center.

      Ashok
      Chair ARPPC

      Ashok R. Mirchandani, Consul Gen. Hon.de l'Inde  081BP7100.COTONOU. BENIN. +229-21385220, 21380724,97974502  http://www.consul.cc/consul.php/749/HCG-IN-BJ  www.hicomindlagos.com