Youth Exchange News | Preconvention deadline
Subject: Youth Exchange News | Preconvention deadline
Preconvention deadline Having trouble viewing this email? View onlineYouth ExchangeE-NEWSLETTER
Preconvention registration deadline Register by 31 March to receive the best rate on convention registration fees.
All Youth Exchange officers attending the Preconvention Meeting or the RI Convention are welcome to sign up for a tour of Lisbon and the surrounding area. The tour is organized by the 2012-13 Youth Exchange Committee in collaboration with the convention’s Host Organization Committee. Find out more and download a YEO tour registration form.
Youth Exchange in the news
- Rotaractor Derek Osborn told attendees at the International Assembly in San Diego, California, USA, in January about the power of Youth Exchange to promote cultural understanding.
- RI Youth Exchange Committee member Danielle Baltus recalled memories of her 1963 Youth Exchange trip, which included an ocean voyage by ship.
- Woody Angst, president of the North American Youth Exchange Network, is quoted in an article about how to tell if a young person is ready to study abroad.
- Argentine exchange student Josela Carrasco and her Australian host family discussed their experiences during her exchange in an article published in a local Australian newspaper.
New cartoon shows the value of Rotary
Watch the video, which is available in three languages:
- English — Josh’s Choice: Volunteer, Travel, or Lead?
- Spanish — La duda de José: ¿Prestar servicio voluntario, viajar o liderar?
- Portuguese — A escolha de João: ser voluntário, viajar ou liderar?
Changes in New Generations Exchange The RI Board of Directors recently made changes to exchange opportunities offered to young adults. Starting 1 July, New Generations Exchange
- Will be called New Generations Service Exchange
- Will be under the oversight of district New Generations Service committees; these exchanges will no longer be administered by district Youth Exchange committees, and districts will not be subject to Youth Exchange certification requirements for New Generations Service Exchange activity
- Will be open to young adults ages 21-30
This new activity gives districts the freedom to develop flexible exchange experiences that meet the needs of young adults while promoting international understanding, a commitment to service, and an understanding of Rotary as young people move from university study through the first years of their professional life.
Contact your district New Generations Service committee chair with any questions.
Poll: How do you involve past exchange students? Youth Exchange can be a life-changing experience, but what happens when it’s over? Take our one-question poll and share what your club or district does to keep past exchange students engaged. We’ll publish poll results in a future newsletter. Get a grant for Global Youth Service Day Register a service project, get inspired with project ideas, and download resources like YOUth Changing the World: A Service Project Toolkit.
Anyone ages 5-25 anywhere in the world is eligible to apply for a US$500 Get Ur Good On Grant to support youth-led projects. The grant deadline is 10 March.
Our newest certified districts Congratulations to District 3050 (parts of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, and Rajasthan, India), which has met certification requirements to participate in outbound-only exchanges, and to District 3131 (part of Maharashtra, India), which has met full certification requirements to participate in Rotary Youth Exchange.
Note that Districts 2031 and 2032 (both part of Italy), are fully certified. These districts were formed from previously certified District 2030.
See the current list of noncertified districts.
Do you use a shared email address? Users of Member Access and the Youth Exchange workgroup site should be aware that email addresses now can be listed under one individual only. This means that multiple users cannot use a shared address (e.g., yeo_anytown@. . . or district0000@. . .) to sign in to Member Access. Please ensure that Rotarians in your club and district are aware of this change. Latest Youth Exchange Directory
The Youth Exchange Directory is updated and emailed quarterly, but the current version can be downloaded anytime from the Youth Exchange workgroup site. All district and multidistrict chairs can visit the site by clicking on Rotary Workgroups on the Member Access welcome page. Note: In order to sign in, district and multidistrict chairs must use the same email address they used when they registered for a Member Access account.
If you help administer exchanges and do not have the most recent directory, contact your district or multidistrict chair.
Have policy questions? Get answers in the Rotary Code of Policies (PDF in English). The sections most relevant to the Youth Exchange program are Youth Protection (2.110), District Finances (17.060), and Youth Exchange (41.060).
Translated versions of these sections are available on the Rotary Youth Exchange Workgroup site, which district and multidistrict chairs can access by logging on to Member Access or by emailing youthexchange@....
Upcoming events Webinar: Join the global fight against hunger and malnutrition
Learn how you can help enhance food security during this online event featuring panelists from the Global FoodBanking Network, the Rotarian Action Group for the Alleviation of Hunger and Malnutrition, and the Food Plant Solutions Rotarian Action Group. These experts will provide examples of sustainable, replicable food security initiatives undertaken by Rotary clubs and districts around the world. Learn how your club or district can participate in the global effort to alleviate hunger and malnutrition. (Times listed below are Central Time; check your local time.)
- English: Monday, 18 March, 18:00-19:00
- English: Tuesday, 19 March, 10:00-11:00
- Spanish: Tuesday, 26 March, 10:00-11:00
- Portuguese: Thursday, 28 March, 17:00-18:00
This forum explores ways in which each of us has the power to promote peace in our daily lives and in our own communities. This future-focused meeting will ask participants to consider what impact they will make in the days and years to come.
Japan Youth Exchange Conference
Contact Ken Kanda.
2013 Youth Exchange Officers Preconvention Meeting
Do you know of an event we should add to this list? Email us at youthexchange@....
Contact us Contact RI Youth Exchange staff
Youth Exchange resources Social Media Like Interact
Follow Rotaract Youth Exchange alumni - join us Watch Interact
Rotary International | One Rotary Center | 1560 Sherman Avenue | Evanston | IL | 60201 | USA