Questions

  • foki
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 13, 2004
      I know nothing about Macrobiotics, axcept what little I recall from the 60s, when it was popular. I'm almost 70, 6' tall, and weigh a disgusting 245 pounds. Can Macrobiotics help me to lose this weight?

      Fred
    • Ilanit Tof
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 14, 2004

        MB can help you find balance. Do you have any mb books or resources? Where do you live?
        There is heaps of free mb advice and info on the internet - just type macrobiotics into a search engine such as google

        www.google.com.au

        let us know how you go.....
        --
        Signature

        Ilanit

        Ms Ilanit Tof
        B.A. (Psychophysiology/Psychology)
        Advanced Diploma Healing with Wholefoods
        PhD Holistic Nutrition (candidate)

        Little Tree Oriental Healing Arts
        Helping you grow to new heights of wellbeing
        with Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition

        ilanit@...
        www.littletree.com.au

      • foki
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 14, 2004
          Thank you, Ilanit.

          MB can help you find balance. Do you have any mb books or resources? Where do you live?
          There is heaps of free mb advice and info on the internet - just type macrobiotics into a search engine such as google

          www.google.com.au

          let us know how you go.....
          --

          Ilanit

          ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ms Ilanit Tof
          B.A. (Psychophysiology/Psychology)
          Advanced Diploma Healing with Wholefoods
          PhD Holistic Nutrition (candidate)

          Little Tree Oriental Healing Arts
          Helping you grow to new heights of wellbeing
          with Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition

          ilanit@...
          www.littletree.com.au
          ***
          This message contains parts that can not be recognized or delivered to your device but has been saved on your webmail account. It will be stored there for future access until your webmail account reaches a 5 Megabyte limit at which time it will be deleted. If you have access to a computer and wish to view the complete message please visit https://webmail.earthlink.net and enter your MailStation e-mail address and password.
        • Kimberly Chadwick
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2004
            Fred,

            I have found that being Macro has helped me lose weight. I was 152.5 when I went Macro on January 10 of this year, I am now 144. I am very small boned and only 5' tall, I am very overweight.  This is the only lifestyle that has helped me with weightloss without all those nasty diet withdrawals (starving for one!!) I believe you really have to want to do it as I know I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I was never really much of a cook and I only have one pot with a lid so that slows me down a bit. Anyway, being macro has helped my weight problem, I know I will hit my goal eating this way, though this is not just a diet to me but a lifestyle I plan to stick with.

            Good luck, keep us updated!

            Kimberly

            P.S Read anything by Muchio Kushi that you can get your hands on, I have learned so much already.

            >>>I know nothing about Macrobiotics, axcept what little I recall from the 60s, when it was popular. I'm almost 70, 6' tall, and weigh a disgusting 245 pounds. Can Macrobiotics help me to lose this weight?

            Fred

            Kimberly Chadwick
            The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men.
            - Alice Walker
            The questions is not; Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?
            - Jeremey Bentham

            BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80
          • indigo warrior
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2004

              Fred,

              Diets don't work.  They are temporary (and sometimes dangerous) remedies for a long term situation.  Eat real food.  Get in some reasonable exercise (walking, maybe some resistance training).  And be patient with your body.  Nothing is instant.  Educate yourself on vegetarian nutrition/macrobiotics.  The more you know the more choices you have.

              blessings and peace, indigo

               "To retaliate in kind would do nothing but intensify the existence of hate in the universe. Along the way of life, someone must have sense enough, and morality enough, to cut off the chain of hate."  Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
            • Fredric
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 16, 2004
                Kimberly,

                I tried the Atkins Diet, but because I no longer have a gallbladder I don't process fats well at all.

                Then I tried the South Beach Diet, and it failed for the same reason.

                I tried the G.I. Diet, and got nowhere with it.

                Then I tried the Eat Right 4 Your Type diet, and it's a fraud.

                I'm currently on Slim-Fast, and it's working; but the meal bars taste like hardened dogpoop.

                That's why I'm interested in Macrobiotics. So please tell me more about it. And at heart I'm a vegetarian.

                Fred

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 17, 2004
                  Fred,

                  Ah, Slim-Fast. I used that diet for a while, lost about 30 pounds, then gained back 50. Never got around to Atkins or South Beach as I have been a vegetarian for the past 2 1/2 years and had never heard of Atkins before that.

                  Let go of the diets, they may work short term but they will never last and they may ultimately harm you. All anyone with a weight problem needs is a lifestyle change not a diet. We are supposed to be living and loving life not constantly unhappy because we are starving.

                  To get you started I suggest incorporating more grains into your diet. Have brown rice with 2 meals each day. I like miso soup and brown rice porridge in the morning. For lunch, brown rice, aduki beans or lentils and a steamed green (broccoli, kale, carrot or daikon tops for example.) For dinner noodles in broth with a boiled salad or sauteed vegetables, kimpira and some mochi as a snack. I'm sure many of these items are foreign to you but I will post further information and some recepies later. I am at work and my books are at home. I just wanted to give you an idea of what I eat.

                  I went Macro overnight but you don't have to if you are not comfortable with that. As I said, slowly add more grains, have a steamed green with each meal.No snacking, your body needs time to digest your food. I eat at 7am, 1pm and 6pm. Alwayss finish eating at least 3 hours before bedtime, you'll sleep much better if your body is resting instead of digesting dinner.  I used to be the queen of snacking, since macro I don't snack. I chew each mouthful at least 100 times, but starting off with 25 or 50 chews will certainly be beneficial. Chewing wel is vitale as you are able to absorb more nutrients from your food when it alkalizes with your saliva. Sit down for every meal and rest for 20 minutes after each meal (when time allows, I don't ever get to rest for 20 minutes after lunch on the weekdays.) When cooking, cook with love, sending positive energy into your food will in turn create positive energy in your body. Feeling good really helps when one has a weight problem.

                  You say at heart you are a vegetarian, that certainly pleases me, it will please your body, the animals and environment as well.

                  I hope I didn't bombard you with too much info in one post, I will post some recipes when I get home later for you to try out if you would like. As encouragement, I love being macro it is by far one of the best decisions I have ever made. Sometimes it is tough but I belive nothing worth doing comes easily.

                  Well, I think this post is long enough...talk to you soon!

                  Kimberly

                  BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80

                  [This message contained attachments]

                  Message: 2