Tracing Daniel McQuarrie

  • gloriakoufis
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2002
      Greetings from Down Under,

      I am currently tracing my GGGGrandfather Daniel McQuarrie. The only
      information i have is Daniel McQuarrie (Snr)a Farmer was married to
      Hannah ..?They lived in Nova Scotia. My aim is to locate our
      ancestors home in Scotland, but dont know who or when our people left
      Scotland for Canada.

      Their son also Daniel, was Born in 1831 in Nova Scotia. Immigrated
      sometime before 1858 to Australia as he was Married on the 4th Dec
      1858 in Victoria Aust.
      I found a few references to Daniel McQuarrie in Pictou County,NS
      forwarded from very helpful people connected to the Pictouroots web
      site.

      I am Very glad to have found this group, I'm tentative about this
      Geneology baton i seem to have been handed as I can see it could very
      well take over any available free time I have,yet I dont know if I
      can stop now that I have begun.

      Following is brief family information On Daniel & Johanna McQuarrie
      in the event a long lost relative should connect to this group.
      Heres hoping.

      Daniel McQuarrie b 1831 Nova Scotia d. 29 Jan 1885 Bluff NZ. Married
      Johanna Hurley b.1838 Tipperary, Co. Clare Ireland d. 22 Nov 1922
      Bluff NZ They were married at Castlemaine Victoria Australia. Their
      Children are as follows
      John Thomas 1859 -1925 Melbourne Vic
      Daniel (III) 1861 - 1926 Melb. Vic
      Evan 1863 - 1894
      Edwin 1866 - 1900 Bluff NZ
      Hannah 1868 - 1922+ Bluff
      Alexander 1870 - 1922+ Bluff
      Walter 1872 - 1881 Bluff
      Jessie 1875 - 1955 Bluff
      George 1877 - 1902 Bluff

      Kind regards
      Gloria
    • MaryMacQ@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2002
        I had an uncle named Daniel M ac Quarrie , my father was the oldest
        brother named John Mac Quarrie ,and another uncle named Alan . Their
        was Johnson [father] Macqaarrie. These are all deceased. My father was born
        in NEWFOUNDLAND in the late 1890s.
        It would be helpful if you looked in the 1st WORLD
        WAR LISTS in OTTAWA. Mary MacQuarrie.

      • frank/yvonne
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2002
          welcome aboard gloria, Yes I am affraid that you well may be ovecome with genealogy. It is a fun hobby and once you get into it it is very hard to step away. Godd luck I have several partical trees form Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, I will check them to see if I can find a match for you
          Frank
[...]

          This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
          HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE

        • gloriakoufis
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
            --- In macquarrie@y..., MaryMacQ@a... wrote:
            > I had an uncle named Daniel M ac Quarrie , my father was the
            oldest
            > brother named John Mac Quarrie ,and another uncle named
            Alan . Their
            > was Johnson [father] Macqaarrie. These are all deceased. My father
            was born
            > in NEWFOUNDLAND in the late
            1890s.
            > It would be helpful if you looked in the
            1st WORLD
            > WAR LISTS in OTTAWA. Mary MacQuarrie.

            Dear Mary,

            John and Daniel MacQuarrie seem to be common names as in several
            searches these names as well as Alan appear together in land grants
            and various common locations in Nova Scotia. I would also believe
            that my Daniel had a brother called John as well., as Daniel's first
            son was John Thomas MacQuarrie born 1859 in Melbourne Victoria
            Australia. This John is my Great grandfather. The earliest info i
            have puts Daniel MacQuarrie Snr in Nova Scotia in the early 1800's..
            I understand that Newfoundland isn't far from Nova Scotia, so quite
            possibly earlier on there may well have been brothers who immigrated
            from Scotland together. do you know where your line came from in
            Scotland. I cant narrow down the actual place in Nova Scotia yet, so
            till I find them there I cant find them in Scotland.
            Thanks for the tip about the war lists.
            Regards
            Gloria
          • Tom McQuarrie
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
              Forgive me for stating what might be the obvious :
              Have you searched the Ulva / Mull area ?
              My ancestors John and Mary Campbell McQuarrie ( spelling ) emmigrated from
              Ulva to Prince Edward Island. PEI is just north of Nova Scotia
              Tom McQuarrie

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 13, 2002
                Igrew up in NEW WATERFORD and NEW VICTORIA ON CAPE BRETON ISLAND IN
                THE PROVINCE OF NOVA SCOTIA. My father worked in the coal mines ofNew
                Waterford.There were eight of us and we were left father-less in 1946 so we
                weretoowtoo young to remember. ANOTHER place to search is MABOO, CAPE BRETON.
                I met a woman in a MONTREAL HOSPITAL who heard my name called and asked me
                whatmy fathers name was. I answered her and she got all excited because she
                knew my father's family. I NEVER GOT A CHANCE to chat for long and when i
                came out from the office she was gone.,but she did mention that they were
                going back home to MABOO.BYE TIL NEXT TIME mary

              • Donna Himmelman
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 14, 2002
                  Hi Mary,

                  I grew up in Sydney, N.S. There are quite a few MacQuarrie's in Inverness Co., in fact one of them is on this list. The correct spelling is MABOU, and another place to ask questions is the Heritage place at the Pioneer Vilage in Little Narrows, Cape Breton.

                  I don't have the website right at my fingertips, but when I find it I will post.

                  Donna (MacQuarrie) Himmelman

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 14, 2002
                    Hi Mary, Thanks for thattip on the Pioneer Vilage. Please post the site sddress as soon as you can, or better yet who finds it first post it so everyone with Capre Breton roots can check it out.
                    frank