MacQuarrie Clan

  • Tom McQuarrie
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
      Hello All MacQuarries
      Growing up I was certain that anyone named MacQuarrie had to be a
      relative. In the strictest sense I guess that is true. Later in life
      I learned that MacQuarrie was a Highland Scots name not Irish like my
      dad told me. Again not altogether untrue. I also wondered about
      MaGuire it was a name so similiar there had to be a connection.
      Later I started to research my family tree. After all I was going to
      be a genealogy merit badge counselor for the Scouts.
      It was then that I started to learn about the rich history of the
      MacQuarrie Clan and my McQuarries in particular.I learned of the
      clearances,I went to Ulva, learned about Govenor Lauchlin ,learned
      about Macquarie Island. Became a member of a MacQuarrie Clan
      Association. Met literally hundreds of MacQuarries ( all spelling
      variations included).Now I talk (electronically) to MacQuarries all
      over the world. Actually found long lost relatives in the US,Canada
      and Australia.
      Now to the purpose of this note. I have seen where differant groups
      of Mull descendants have met face to face in Canada. I have been to
      various Clan gatherings of MacQuarries. I have seen where other Clans
      actually have "associations" and meet periodically. I have also seen
      these groups at Celtic games with their tents and information.
      Looking for other "lost" clan members. We've all been scattered all
      over the world. I have struggled trying to find out more of my
      ancestry.
      How many of you would like to meet other MacQuarries ? How many would
      like to create a data base for MacQuarrie genealogy and history ? The
      posssiblities are only limited by our imaginations. So if any one is
      interested in starting a MacQuarrie Clan Association please let me
      know. Share your ideas,share where your from lets see if we can put
      people of similiar interest together and get this going.
      There are several of us who have linked up to accomplish this
      objective, we need your thoughts. But most of all we need your
      interest. Please contact me soon. Thanks
      Tom McQuarrie e-mail tishimself@...
    • genseeker
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
        Tom,
        I'd be delighted to meet and speak with other MacQuarrie descendants.
        Nothing could be more fun, I think. I'd be happy to share what I know about
        my own line, and learn about everyone else's.
        Best Regards,
        Cinda McQuerrey Marsh
        Longmont, CO, USA

[...]

        This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
        HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE

      • Bendis
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
          I am interested - I am not sure if I could ever
          travel to personally meet folks - financial
          constraints may prohibit, but yes, I would like to
          learn more and could give my lineage as I have it as
          well!

          Deanne Quarrie
        • Tom McQuarrie
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
            Frank & All McQuarrie's
            My e-mail earlier is intended to be open ended. The idea is to get as many
            people involved in a discussion about a MacQuarrie Clan Association as
            possible.Frank's e-mail gives me a chance to do some further explanation.

            When this is said an done it could look very much like Frank describes. No
            one is trying to replace or supplant any existing group. In fact back in
            1983 the North East MacQuarrie Clan Association had a good rapport with what
            is now the Atlantic Canada group as well as the MacQuarrie Clan Association
            in the Mid - Western United States. Members from both of these groups
            attended a Gathering on Nova Scotia hosted by the Atlantic Canada group.It
            was a very memorable time on MacQuarrie Acres. I and many others hope we
            could re-establish that kind of kinship.

            I know about Charlie's efforts as well as some others. As a group we decided
            on this approach in an effort to facilitate the effort. You know two heads
            are better then one idea. But in this case it was four of us,so we decided
            to open it up. The only end we have in mind is a MacQuarrie Clan
            Association that we can all be part of and proud of.

            Please join in on our discussions all of you. If you do there is no doubt we
            ll do this right.
            Thanks
            Tom
            Tom McQuarrie
            tishimself@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
              I am a MacQuarrie descendant, also. My great-grandmother was Elizabeth
              McCreary from Erie, PA. Her ancestors where John MacQuarrie and Mary
              Frazier who came to this country in 1700's in the Philadelphia, PA area.

              I have the direct line to my great-grandmother but not any info about
              Nova Scotia.
              Corlin Hollister Carpenter

              frank/yvonne wrote:

              > Hi, Tom, I am a Macquarrie descendant, my great-grandmother was
              > Rebecca MacQuarrie from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. I live in
              > New Hampshire and belong the the MacQuarrie Clan of the Atlantic,
              > headquarted in Halifax.
              > I would like to be a part of any data base , Aside from my own
              > line I have other parts of trees, and also a tree sent to me by the
              > clan in Canada. I think that Charlie MacQuarrie also got a copy the
              > same time. He has been trying to get a society going. As some others,
              > have not heard much about it latley. My thoughts at that time are the
              > same as this time, why not get with the folks in Halifax and just
              > create chapters in different parts of the country. They can be more
              > or less independat but belong to the one major group instead of
              > haveing several MacQuarrie Clan assns running around. Just a
              > thought. But very interested in a data base.
              >
              > Frank

              [Image]

              [Image]

              > This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
              > HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE

            • frank/yvonne
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
[...]

              • Action Custom Computers
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
                  Hi Tom,
                  I too am interested in this Assn. I am a McQuarie
                  decendent, I don't know how much I can contribute.
                  Whatever I know I would be happy to share. Thanks for
                  inviting me.
                  Michele Parker
                  Suffolk, VA.

                  http://faith.yahoo.com
                • Margaret Wulf
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
                    I am all for a MacQuarrie Clan association. I've only just begun documenting our McGuire lineage, but will be glad to share what has been found so far and as- hopefully- it continues to be compiled. Also, have had a little experience with putting together some events and would be glad to lend a hand that way, or any other.

                    Margaret

                  • Tom McQuarrie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 21, 2002
                      Michele,
                      Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was away visiting my son in
                      Denver.
                      I am sorting thru the email that accumulated while I was gone.
                      At this point our only goal is to start an association of MacQuarrie's. Once
                      we establish the interest we'll all decide where we go next. So your
                      contribution will be your input on the start of what I hope will be
                      something that will be good for all of us.
                      Tom McQuarrie

> [...]

                      > over the world. I have struggled trying to find out
                      > more of my
                      > ancestry.
                      > How many of you would like to meet other MacQuarries
                      > ? How many would
                      > like to create a data base for MacQuarrie genealogy
                      > and history ? The
                      > posssiblities are only limited by our imaginations.
                      > So if any one is
                      > interested in starting a MacQuarrie Clan Association
                      > please let me
                      > know. Share your ideas,share where your from lets
                      > see if we can put
                      > people of similiar interest together and get this
                      > going.
                      > There are several of us who have linked up to
                      > accomplish this
                      > objective, we need your thoughts. But most of all we
                      > need your
                      > interest. Please contact me soon. Thanks

                    • ROBERT JAMES QUARRIE
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 21, 2006
                        Hi Michelle,

                        Guess what? I think there are more Quarries, and or more MacQuarries
                        in Australia than I thought.

                        My grandfather came from scotland in or about the 1920,s or 30,s he
                        passed away when I was very young, I think it was about 1950 he was
                        about 70 or there abouts when he passed away I was about 4 or 5 at
                        that time now I am 61 years or age, I would love to trace my family
                        tree to pass it on to my children I have looked everywhere and there
                        are very few Quarries, MacQuarries in Australia.

                        I got quite excited when I saw your name come up on the net here in
                        Aussie.

                        Sincerly Yours,

                        Robert J Quarrie.