Jam(e)s Macquarie

  • jolly philippe
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2012
      Hi !
      It's a long time I have not got anything about my ancestor in subject.
      Recently, searching again the affairs of my grand'father, we came across a little box with a lock of hair inside. On the box had been hand written by my grand father : "Here is a lock of hair of my beloved wife Renée Macquarie, grand daughter of James Lacklan Macquarie". [Lacklan seems to be with a "k", but it is hand written].
      This would bring me back to the beginning of my quest and with the supposition (that I had ruled out somehow by prudery) that the father of my ancestor James be Lieutenant Lachlan Macquarie of the 86th Regiment of foot, your ancestor too, Lachie.
      I've got two questions : again, is it possible to find any James in Lachlan's family (uncle, cousin, or else) ?
      And might a DNA test be conclusive in these conditions ?
      Will be nice to hear of you again

      Philippe Jolly

    • Trish Macquarrie
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2012
        Ho Phillipe:

        Would love to know your grandfather's name and where he lived ... relations
        to UlVa, Cape Breton, etc
        trish

        On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM, jolly philippe <jolly_p_a_r@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > :Hi !
        > It's a long time I have not got anything about my ancestor in subject.
        > Recently, searching again the affairs of my grand'father, we came across a
        > little box with a lock of hair inside. On the box had been hand written by
        > my grand father : "Here is a lock of hair of my beloved wife Ren�e
        > Macquarie, grand daughter of James Lacklan Macquarie". [Lacklan seems to be
        > with a "k", but it is hand written].
        > This would bring me back to the beginning of my quest and with the
        > supposition (that I had ruled out somehow by prudery) that the father of my
        > ancestor James be Lieutenant Lachlan Macquarie of the 86th Regiment of
        > foot, your ancestor too, Lachie.
        > I've got two questions : again, is it possible to find any James in
        > Lachlan's family (uncle, cousin, or else) ?
        > And might a DNA test be conclusive in these conditions ?
        > Will be nice to hear of you again
        >
        > Philippe Jolly

      • jolly philippe
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 19, 2012
          'morning Trish.

          I'm afraid my answer will not be of a great interest for you.
          My grandfather's name was CLAUDE, first name Gaston. He was from the French eastern province of Lorraine and had no links with Ulva, neither with Scotland nor Cape Breton. He married my grandmother Renée Macquarie in Paris in 1898. He knew her father, James Léon Macquarie, from some assignment in La Réunion (Bourbon Island) when he was a young man in the military. James Léon came to Paris for his business, had a daughter, Renée, and met again Gaston Claude. But James died in 1896 so that we haven't got any archives from him. Anyway, many official papers were destroyed during the uprising of La Commune in 1871 so that our documents might have been lost.
          Lately, Gaston Claude got very interested in the origins of the maiden name of his wife, Macquarie, and consequently, began researches about the Clan Macquarie on the one end and the Macquaries from Bourbon on the other one.
          By this way, he arrived to his wife's grandfather, James Lack(or h)lan Macquarie, who we know was born in Mauritius 15 June 1811.
          The last discovery was this lock of hair in the box with "James Lacklan" written on it.

          Thank you for the attention you paid to my quest.
          Sincerely

          Philippe