Sarah Ann McQuarry - Cape Breton

  • johnjt44
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 6, 2012
      Hello All,

      I'm new to the list and have to take some time to search through the past messages properly - but thought I'd throw this quick message out there for posterity.

      I'm working on my wife's Nova Scotia ancestors and it has led me to the McQuarry surname (with help from a cousin who has generously shared her tree with me.)

      I'm in the process of trying to determine if some different families in the census are the right ones now. (It is wonderful that there's so much info out there for Canada & Nova Scotia - but it makes for a lot of work!)

      My wife's closest McQuarry ancestor is Sarah Ann McQuarry who married Matthew Keigan in Sydney Mines, NS in 1863. I believe she was born in Mira, Cape Breton in 1834 (possibly 1844, conflicting sources) and passed in Sydney Mines in 05 May 1910.

      I have her parents down as Angus McQuarry and Mary in my experimental tree on Ancestry, but need to tighten up sources there.

      Looking forward to participating in the group - If anyone might have some tips on following Sarah's family back in time I'd love the hear them.

      Regards,
      John Tierney
      http://currach.johnjtierney.com
    • fyfisher@roadrunner.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 6, 2012
        Welcome John, I hope that you connect with MacQuarrie's all over the world. I will help where I can in your search. I maintain a database for the Clan MacQuarrie Society www.clanmacquarrie.org. I will be away from home for the next three weeks so I will hold this message and see what I may have in the DB when I get back home. In fact Im on my way to cape Breton should be up there sunday. One tip for you right now is don't confine yourself to this one spelling. You may pass by a connection if you do. http://www.whatsinaname.net/ this link will help with alternet bames. sarah fro example could be called sally on some documents. They did not play fair when it came to names.. There are a ton of sites for Canada so good luck and I will be in touch when I get home.
        Frank
        Clan MacQuarrie Society
        Oh there is also a facebook page that you may want to check out, post your question there as well

        ---- johnjt44 <ya.hoo.0910@...> wrote:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > I'm new to the list and have to take some time to search through the past messages properly - but thought I'd throw this quick message out there for posterity.
        >
        > I'm working on my wife's Nova Scotia ancestors and it has led me to the McQuarry surname (with help from a cousin who has generously shared her tree with me.)
        >
        > I'm in the process of trying to determine if some different families in the census are the right ones now. (It is wonderful that there's so much info out there for Canada & Nova Scotia - but it makes for a lot of work!)
        >
        > My wife's closest McQuarry ancestor is Sarah Ann McQuarry who married Matthew Keigan in Sydney Mines, NS in 1863. I believe she was born in Mira, Cape Breton in 1834 (possibly 1844, conflicting sources) and passed in Sydney Mines in 05 May 1910.
        >
        > I have her parents down as Angus McQuarry and Mary in my experimental tree on Ancestry, but need to tighten up sources there.
        >
        > Looking forward to participating in the group - If anyone might have some tips on following Sarah's family back in time I'd love the hear them.
        >
        > Regards,
        > John Tierney
        > http://currach.johnjtierney.com

      • Marilyn and Jack Wright
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6, 2012
          Welcome, John!
          I, too, have Sarah M(a)cQuarry(ie)—common name back then, I guess. She would be my great great grandmother married to Charles McQ. We’re not sure about her birthplace but it could have been Strathlorne NS. He was from Loch Alsh Scotland. We do know they were in Mabou area in 1881 from census.
          Good luck with your searching...Frank is very helpful.

          Marilyn MacQuarrie Wright
          MarilynNS

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8, 2012
            JOhn, my trip to Cape Breton was called off a the last minute. I had a chance today to check the 1901 census fro Nova Scotia and MAtthew and Sarah Keigan do not appear. That could mean that they were not at home when the census taker came by, or that they had left Nova Scotia. Do you have any idea if they did? Here is the link for the census http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/SurnameList.jsp?surname=Kegan&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+genealogy+search+in+all+provinces Please contact me off the forum at fyfisher@... that way I can ask some questions that the rest do not need to bother with at this time.
            Thanks
            FRank

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8, 2012

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 17, 2012
                Hello Frank,

                Thanks for the reply - sorry it took me a bit to get back to it!
                Replying here in the forum just so it is out there for posterity:

                I do have them in the 1901 census - they are in Sydney Mines #2, Page 23, Lines 4 - 6, along with a granddaughter named Sarah A.

                Looks like they were transcribed as "Keighan":

                http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=22342&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+Sydney+Mines+%28Town%2FVille%29+CAPE+BRETON+NOVA+SCOTIA

                Both died in Sydney Mines:
                Sarah in 1910: http://ow.ly/ciTdv
                Matthew in 1911: http://ow.ly/ciTuv
                Links go to novascotiagenealogy.com records.

                Regards,
                .JT.

              • fyfisher@roadrunner.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 17, 2012
                  Ok thanks John, I will get started with the alternate spelling and see what I can shake out for you.
                  FRank

                • fyfisher@roadrunner.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 18, 2012
                    John, I went to the links for the deaths that you have here, and found that Sarah was born 22 Dec. 1844 and Mathew 12 mar. 1821. He was born in Ireland according to one source and the family first came into New foundland, it also says that he lost an arm in the crossing. His father is Owen keigan mother Elizabeth Grandy.
                    Now for sarah, a lot of questions for her. I found her on the 1861 Cape Breton census unmarried She is listed as mcQuary , with a note as McQuarrie. in 1871 there are two Sarahs listed both with 1844/43 births,. both unmarried one of then could be her.
                    Now for the big problems and questions which put the above info in question. The only thing that is for sure id the death info i would say. I ran Matthew into ancestery and came up with him on the 1871 census as Keegan, marries to aow this granddaughter living with them in 1901 must be the daughter of paterick as angus does not show up in 18 sarah that syas was born about 1839 they had the following children, Angus b. 1869, Paterick b. 1865, and Emma b. 1864. Then again on the 1891 census with these children added William b. 1873, Sarah b. 1875, and effie b. 1877. But she is listed as born 1837. I did not see them on the 1881. As there was no census in 1851 we can not trace sarah back to find her parents. I did not see an obit for her so nothing to tell her parents.
                    my Pc has froze Im using the lap top for this, if the desk top is ok in the Am i will pass along the 1861 census and the info on Matthew
                    Frank

                  • fyfisher@roadrunner.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 19, 2012
                      John here is that little bit about Matthew and his family;

                      Matt and 3 siblings along with his parents came over from Ireland; they arrived in Newfoundland and stayed there for a length of time, then continued on to Cape Breton, settling in the Ingonish area. His mother was Protestant; father was Catholic; supposedly 2 children were raised Protestant and the other two Catholic which is why further down the family tree there are Keigans of each faith. Matthew lost an arm on the journey from Ireland. I have his shelaleh (walking stick) that was handed down through the family. On my father's side of the family his mother's sister Emma married a Joseph Keigan, whose father was Edward from Ingonish area. I am fairly certain that this was Matt Keagan's brother. My mother's grandmother said that somewhere along the line the surname spelling got changed from Keagan to Keigan; not sure why. The land that the Keagans owed near Ingonish is the present day site of the Keltic Lodge; according to Mom's grandmother there were 60 heirs (herself included) to the property when it was sold to a Mr. Bushell. Not sure if he was the actual buyer or an agent for the buyer; it was later sold again and the Keltic Lodge was built. This was confirmed by an email I received from Tom Brewer of Ingonish - he's written a book about the Brewer family tree; Edward Keagan married Catherine Maria Brewer and they lived on land grant #16913 which is the present day site of the Keltic Lodge - a beautiful location on Middle Head Peninsula (see photo). My mother recently told me that yes, the two Keagan families were definitely related as her grandmother, Sarah, daughter of Matt, was first cousins with Joseph Keagan which of course means that Edward and Matt Keagan

                      FRank
                      ---- johnjt44 <ya.hoo.0910@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Frank,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the reply - sorry it took me a bit to get back to it!
                      > Replying here in the forum just so it is out there for posterity:
                      >
                      > I do have them in the 1901 census - they are in Sydney Mines #2, Page 23, Lines 4 - 6, along with a granddaughter named Sarah A.
                      >
                      > Looks like they were transcribed as "Keighan":
                      >
                      > http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=22342&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+Sydney+Mines+%28Town%2FVille%29+CAPE+BRETON+NOVA+SCOTIA
                      >
                      > Both died in Sydney Mines:
                      > Sarah in 1910: http://ow.ly/ciTdv
                      > Matthew in 1911: http://ow.ly/ciTuv
                      > Links go to novascotiagenealogy.com records.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > .JT.
                      >
                      > --- In macquarrie@yahoogroups.com, <fyfisher@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > JOhn, my trip to Cape Breton was called off a the last minute. I had a chance today to check the 1901 census fro Nova Scotia and MAtthew and Sarah Keigan do not appear. That could mean that they were not at home when the census taker came by, or that they had left Nova Scotia. Do you have any idea if they did? Here is the link for the census http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/SurnameList.jsp?surname=Kegan&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+genealogy+search+in+all+provinces Please contact me off the forum at fyfisher@... that way I can ask some questions that the rest do not need to bother with at this time.
                      > > Thanks
                      > > FRank

                    • johnjt44
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 19, 2012
                        Thanks Frank!

                        Since we're getting into real details here, I'll reply directly so as not to gum up the works here on the mailing list...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 9, 2014
                          Thought it might be time to resurrect a 2 year old conversation! Sorry this is again about the Keigan side of this family and not the MacQuarrie, but thought others might find it useful too if you'll all bear with me. ;)

                          Since the last post then I've been digging all over the place and believe I found the original Nova Scotia land grant request for Owen Keigan and ordered it from the N.S Archives. I wrote up a blog post on it which includes links to download the images if anyone here also has a MacQuarrie-Keigan connection.

                          http://currach.johnjtierney.com/2013/03/ingonish-cape-breton-land-grant/

                          On another note, today I was noodling around on my tree and decided to see if I could follow up on an index record I have for the same Owen Keigan's 1799 marriage at St. George Church in Cape Breton. Looking around Familysearch to see how I might order the microfilms of those records, I realized they have them online! Not sure how long they've been up, but throwing the link out there in case useful for anyone.

                          They are not indexed, so you have to browse the images. (My knowing a date for the marriage I was seeking made that easier for the one record.)

                          All of the posted Nova Scotia records can be found here, and then you can drill down to areas you are interested in.

                          Going down through Cape Breton, the only options are Sydney and "Church of England Canada St George", direct link here.

                          Hopefully someone can find some family in those images.

                          Regards,
                          .JT.
                        • robin macquarrie