Re: [macquarrie] Scotland

  • frank/yvonne fisher
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 30, 2011
      Evelyn as for dues we are in the same boat. I think it more of people are busy and forget these little things rather then the economy. That may have an effect for some but not all. Would happen to have any copies of those newsletters that could be copied and sent for teh archives? That would be a great addtiton. Oh I was station in England at the time of the wdding and stationed in Alconbury which is near Cambridge.
      Frank
      From: frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@...>
      To: macquarrie@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 1:16 PM

      Evelyn you are right about Americans and their need to trace back as far as they can go. And it is also true that many around the world also . The most interesting thing is that other clans such as the MacLeans have a large international society, and they will hold a gathering on Mull in July. The last one had over 1200 in attendance and not all from overseas. THe question is why are the MAcQuarries any spelling keeping thier heads low? When the great gathering of 2010 or was it 2009 any way two sisiters from Canada went and one gentleman from Kentucky all MacQuarrie's all memebrs of the society. But they were the only three MAcQuarries there. The two marched in the clan parade while other clans had great numbers of marchers. I don't think it has all to do with that they are so close to it, ther has to be another reason why MAcQ's stay below the radar.
      With that said the society has appointed Sir Albert McQuarrie as its Honorary president, I have recived his line form one of his sons and he is reseachering the family line, also a direct decendant of the last chief has been reseaching. The interest is there but just below the radar.
      Frank
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
        If I ever come across any copies of those newsletters, you will be the first to know.  I just mentioned this to note that contemporary interest in Macquarrie Clan events goes back at least as far as the 1970s.

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2011
          that would be great Evelyn. And yes there was a lot of clan interest. I have thanks to Elma copies of old Clansmen and there is a lot of interest in not just the MAcQuarries but others as well. In fact the Atlantic Clan had over t200 memebrs when if olded in 2003. THe reason they leadership was graying and none of the younger clansmen wanted to carry on. It took until 2007 when the current society picked up the mantle. But yes in the 80's there were mant area groups and family groups across the states, but they never got togher and formed one Caln Society. The current membership stands at 70. That is kind of poor when you look at the number of MacQ's on the facebook page over 300 and how many on this list?
          This little run has been the most chatter here in months
          Frank
> [...]

          > > www.mull-seaview.co.uk
          > >
          > > > To: macquarrie@yahoogroups.com
          > > > From: lachiedamn@...
          > > > Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:23:52 +0000
          > > > Subject: Re: [macquarrie] Scotland
          > > >
          > > > I was in EK last week and I don't think I had
          > crossed any borders,
          > > however
          > > > it was dark so I can't say for sure.
          > > > Is it??

          > Kilbride ??

          > <h1king@...>

          > have been removed]

          > been removed]

          > removed]
          > > > >

          > > > --
          > > > Sláinte
          > > >
          > > > Lachaidh.

          > removed]
          > > >

          > > > ------------------------------------
          > > >
          > > > This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list. Learn more
          > about the clan or join
          > > the clan society by visiting our web site:

        • Flora Green
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 26, 2011
            Alas, our family has no male heirs with the name MacQuarrie.  Lots of descendents, though. Some of the males in our ancestry did not marry and the girls had all the grandchildren.

              From: jacktbear@...
              Sender: macquarrie@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:13:23
              To: <macquarrie@yahoogroups.com>

              And, Frank, the MacQuarries tended to father daughters, as in my case: my mother's father, and my father's mother were both MacQuarries, albeit from different parts of Canada and different kinship lines, so the name never got passed along. Despite my distinctly Irish name (the similarity of which to Valerie Cairney of The Scottish Banner makes me wonder...) I proudly go kilted in MacQuarrie tartan, carry the banner, and yell "The Red Tartaned Army!" when the clans are gathered at Scottish festivals in Connecticut.
              Jack Kearney