Re: MacQuarrie DNA Project Progress

  • mcguirebrad@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3 10:23 AM
      Let me piggyback on Tom here....

      Do the test!
      Y37 should be you minimum. Y67 gives much more detail and by going farther with a Deep Clade SNP test (or one of the L21 combo tests), you will be amazed at the level of details possible.

      cheers
      Brad

      --- In macquarrie@yahoogroups.com, "Tom McQuarrie" <tishimself45@...> wrote:

      > MacQuarries
      >
      > I think Bill is doing a great job keeping us up to date and providing food
      > for thought regarding DNA. We all complain about brick walls encountered by
      > traditional forms of research. I had a great start letters written in the
      > 1840's by my ancestors. A meeting with great Aunt Mary my grandfathers ½
      > sister. Prior to that all I knew about MacQuarrie was my immediate family.
      >
      > Despite the head start it took me 30 years off and two trips to Mull and
      > Ulva to get the information and documentation for what I have now. A
      > straight line back to Craigag and Ormaig Ulva c.1750.
      >
      > A 37 marker DNA teat lead to blood relatives . We had plenty of coincidences
      > no facts. DNA sewed that up.
      >
      > The greater the number of us who submit samples the greater the number of
      > brick walls will tumble.
      >
      > Tom McQuarrie
      >

      > _____

    • snoshoe_2
      Message 2 of 13 , May 11 8:31 AM
        Hi All,

        This interesting stuff huh? I so wish I'd had a snip of Dad's hair or something before he passed away.
        ~Snoshoe

        --- In macquarrie@yahoogroups.com, "mcguirebrad@..." <brad.kat.mcguire@...> wrote:

        > Let me piggyback on Tom here....
        >
        > Do the test!
        > Y37 should be you minimum. Y67 gives much more detail and by going farther with a Deep Clade SNP test (or one of the L21 combo tests), you will be amazed at the level of details possible.

      • Robin Woods
        Message 3 of 13 , May 11 8:47 AM
          does a lock of hair work?

          This interesting stuff huh? I so wish I'd had a snip of Dad's hair or something before he passed away.
          ~Snoshoe

          --- In macquarrie@yahoogroups.com, "mcguirebrad@..." <brad.kat.mcguire@...> wrote:

          > Let me piggyback on Tom here....
          >
          > Do the test!
          > Y37 should be you minimum. Y67 gives much more detail and by going farther with a Deep Clade SNP test (or one of the L21 combo tests), you will be amazed at the level of details possible.

        • Bill McQuary
          Message 4 of 13 , May 11 8:52 AM
            Robin,

            It can be done, but not by any of the firms that specialize in genealogical DNA testing. They require fresh samples collected on a swab.

            Regards,
            Bill

            Message 5 of 13 , May 11 1:49 PM
              Do you have any brothers? That'll work as well.
              Brad