Archibald McQuarrie

  • frank/yvonne fisher
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
      While researching the clan to build on the database I ran across this gentleman Archibald McQuarrie. Here is what I have on him at the moment.
      Archibald McQuarrie convicted 24 Nov. 1817 in Edinburgh, transported to Australia and arriving there Apr. 1818.

      Does anyone have any info of this fellow? WHo was he, parents ect. what was his crime and how long was his sentence, did he remain in Australia or return home upon release? This is the first one of us that I have come across that was transported. It seems that not all of the MacQuarrie's were country gentlemen. I wonder fi the Gov. showed any favoritism to clansmen that were transported as prisoners?

      FRank

    • Lachie Macquarie
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
        *Convicts very rarely made it back, according to Robert Hughes, A Fatal
        Shore.
        It was equivelant of being sent to the moon in todays terms. Maybe he died
        of the injuries sustained on the Isabella?

        MACQUARIE, Peter *
        The only Macquarie (except the Governor and Lieutenant Hector Macquarie.)
        found in N.S.W. in 1821 is Peter Macquarie, who had four children baptised
        at St. Philip's between November 15th 1818 and January 16th 1825. This is
        the period during which the 48th Regiment was stationed here. In the
        regimental Muster records there is a Sergeant Peter McWharrie (also spelt
        Wharrie) who was one of 14 soldiers who transferred from the 48th Regiment
        to the 40th Regiment in 1824. (He had been serving in Van Diemen's Land). He
        returned to the depot in England in 1826.

        *1818 Apr 18-Oct 9*

        Re conspiracy among convicts to take the ship; wounding of Archibald
        Macquarie by Robert Hookes; depositions before magistrates, etc (Reel 6047;
        4/1740 pp.327-53)

        On 7 April 2010 11:35, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@...> wrote:

        > While researching the clan to build on the database I ran across this
        > gentleman Archibald McQuarrie. Here is what I have on him at the moment.
        > Archibald McQuarrie convicted 24 Nov. 1817 in Edinburgh, transported to
        > Australia and arriving there Apr. 1818.
        >
        > Does anyone have any info of this fellow? WHo was he, parents ect. what was
        > his crime and how long was his sentence, did he remain in Australia or
        > return home upon release? This is the first one of us that I have come
        > across that was transported. It seems that not all of the MacQuarrie's were
        > country gentlemen. I wonder fi the Gov. showed any favoritism to clansmen
        > that were transported as prisoners?
        >
        > FRank

        Sl�inte

        Lachaidh.

      • frank/yvonne fisher
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
          Thanks Lachie, do you know how I can find this source? This would make a
          great little story fro the newsletter
          Thanks
          Frank
          *Convicts very rarely made it back, according to Robert Hughes, A Fatal
          Shore.
          It was equivelant of being sent to the moon in todays terms. Maybe he died
          of the injuries sustained on the Isabella?

          MACQUARIE, Peter *
          The only Macquarie (except the Governor and Lieutenant Hector Macquarie.)
          found in N.S.W. in 1821 is Peter Macquarie, who had four children baptised
          at St. Philip's between November 15th 1818 and January 16th 1825. This is
          the period during which the 48th Regiment was stationed here. In the
          regimental Muster records there is a Sergeant Peter McWharrie (also spelt
          Wharrie) who was one of 14 soldiers who transferred from the 48th Regiment
          to the 40th Regiment in 1824. (He had been serving in Van Diemen's Land). He
          returned to the depot in England in 1826.

          *1818 Apr 18-Oct 9*

          Re conspiracy among convicts to take the ship; wounding of Archibald
          Macquarie by Robert Hookes; depositions before magistrates, etc (Reel 6047;
          4/1740 pp.327-53)

          On 7 April 2010 11:35, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@...> wrote:

          > While researching the clan to build on the database I ran across this
          > gentleman Archibald McQuarrie. Here is what I have on him at the moment.
          > Archibald McQuarrie convicted 24 Nov. 1817 in Edinburgh, transported to
          > Australia and arriving there Apr. 1818.
          >
          > Does anyone have any info of this fellow? WHo was he, parents ect. what
          > was
          > his crime and how long was his sentence, did he remain in Australia or
          > return home upon release? This is the first one of us that I have come
          > across that was transported. It seems that not all of the MacQuarrie's
          > were
          > country gentlemen. I wonder fi the Gov. showed any favoritism to clansmen
          > that were transported as prisoners?
          >
          > FRank

          Sláinte

          Lachaidh.

        • Tom McQuarrie
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
            For what it is worth , I have a Fatal Shore

            _____

            On 7 April 2010 11:35, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@worldpath.
            <mailto:fydf%40worldpath.net> net> wrote:

            > While researching the clan to build on the database I ran across this
            > gentleman Archibald McQuarrie. Here is what I have on him at the moment.
            > Archibald McQuarrie convicted 24 Nov. 1817 in Edinburgh, transported to
            > Australia and arriving there Apr. 1818.
            >
            > Does anyone have any info of this fellow? WHo was he, parents ect. what
            > was
            > his crime and how long was his sentence, did he remain in Australia or
            > return home upon release? This is the first one of us that I have come
            > across that was transported. It seems that not all of the MacQuarrie's
            > were
            > country gentlemen. I wonder fi the Gov. showed any favoritism to clansmen
            > that were transported as prisoners?
            >
            > FRank

            Sláinte

            Lachaidh.

            ------------------------------------

            This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list. Learn more about the clan or join the
            clan society by visiting our web site:
            http://www.clanmacq <http://www.clanmacquarrie.org/Yahoo> uarrie.org/Yahoo!
            Groups Links

          • frank/yvonne fisher
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
              Tom see if anything is in there about our man Archibald please
              Frank
              For what it is worth , I have a Fatal Shore

              _____

              *Convicts very rarely made it back, according to Robert Hughes, A Fatal
              Shore.
              It was equivelant of being sent to the moon in todays terms. Maybe he died
              of the injuries sustained on the Isabella?

              MACQUARIE, Peter *
              The only Macquarie (except the Governor and Lieutenant Hector Macquarie.)
              found in N.S.W. in 1821 is Peter Macquarie, who had four children baptised
              at St. Philip's between November 15th 1818 and January 16th 1825. This is
              the period during which the 48th Regiment was stationed here. In the
              regimental Muster records there is a Sergeant Peter McWharrie (also spelt
              Wharrie) who was one of 14 soldiers who transferred from the 48th Regiment
              to the 40th Regiment in 1824. (He had been serving in Van Diemen's Land). He
              returned to the depot in England in 1826.

              *1818 Apr 18-Oct 9*

              Re conspiracy among convicts to take the ship; wounding of Archibald
              Macquarie by Robert Hookes; depositions before magistrates, etc (Reel 6047;
              4/1740 pp.327-53)

              On 7 April 2010 11:35, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@worldpath.
              <mailto:fydf%40worldpath.net> net> wrote:

              > While researching the clan to build on the database I ran across this
              > gentleman Archibald McQuarrie. Here is what I have on him at the moment.
              > Archibald McQuarrie convicted 24 Nov. 1817 in Edinburgh, transported to
              > Australia and arriving there Apr. 1818.
              >
              > Does anyone have any info of this fellow? WHo was he, parents ect. what
              > was
              > his crime and how long was his sentence, did he remain in Australia or
              > return home upon release? This is the first one of us that I have come
              > across that was transported. It seems that not all of the MacQuarrie's
              > were
              > country gentlemen. I wonder fi the Gov. showed any favoritism to clansmen
              > that were transported as prisoners?
              >
              > FRank

              Sláinte

              Lachaidh.

            • Lachie Macquarie
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
                There isn't I am afraid.

                On 7 April 2010 18:14, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@...> wrote:

                > Tom see if anything is in there about our man Archibald please
                > Frank

                Sl�inte

                Lachaidh.

              • Tom McQuarrie
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
                  A look at the index does not list Archibald; there is a lot on Lachlan. I
                  will read that and see. Strikes me that the Gov and Archie didn’t travel in
                  the same circles though.

                  _____

                  Tom see if anything is in there about our man Archibald please
                  Frank
                  For what it is worth , I have a Fatal Shore

                  _____

                  *Convicts very rarely made it back, according to Robert Hughes, A Fatal
                  Shore.
                  It was equivelant of being sent to the moon in todays terms. Maybe he died
                  of the injuries sustained on the Isabella?

                  MACQUARIE, Peter *
                  The only Macquarie (except the Governor and Lieutenant Hector Macquarie.)
                  found in N.S.W. in 1821 is Peter Macquarie, who had four children baptised
                  at St. Philip's between November 15th 1818 and January 16th 1825. This is
                  the period during which the 48th Regiment was stationed here. In the
                  regimental Muster records there is a Sergeant Peter McWharrie (also spelt
                  Wharrie) who was one of 14 soldiers who transferred from the 48th Regiment
                  to the 40th Regiment in 1824. (He had been serving in Van Diemen's Land). He
                  returned to the depot in England in 1826.

                  *1818 Apr 18-Oct 9*

                  Re conspiracy among convicts to take the ship; wounding of Archibald
                  Macquarie by Robert Hookes; depositions before magistrates, etc (Reel 6047;
                  4/1740 pp.327-53)

                  On 7 April 2010 11:35, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@worldpath.
                  <mailto:fydf%40worldpath.net> net> wrote:

                  > While researching the clan to build on the database I ran across this
                  > gentleman Archibald McQuarrie. Here is what I have on him at the moment.
                  > Archibald McQuarrie convicted 24 Nov. 1817 in Edinburgh, transported to
                  > Australia and arriving there Apr. 1818.
                  >
                  > Does anyone have any info of this fellow? WHo was he, parents ect. what
                  > was
                  > his crime and how long was his sentence, did he remain in Australia or
                  > return home upon release? This is the first one of us that I have come
                  > across that was transported. It seems that not all of the MacQuarrie's
                  > were
                  > country gentlemen. I wonder fi the Gov. showed any favoritism to clansmen
                  > that were transported as prisoners?
                  >
                  > FRank

                  Sláinte

                  Lachaidh.

                • Lachie Macquarie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
                    Sorry, I meant to include them.

                    http://www.lib.mq.edu.au/all/journeys/people/peoplel_q.html for Peter.

                    http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/ij/F28c_i-ji-04.htm for
                    Erchie being transported. I would imagine that it is the same one? It is
                    about the right time.

                    On 7 April 2010 13:15, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Lachie, do you know how I can find this source? This would make a
                    > great little story fro the newsletter
                    > Thanks
                    > Frank

                    Sl�inte

                    Lachaidh.

                  • frank/yvonne fisher
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
                      Thanks for looking. I did find a record from an austrailian site that just
                      the events of teh day and this was listed there. I might e-mail with the
                      info and see if some one can go to the archives anf get that micro-film and
                      make a transcription.
                      Frank
                      > Tom see if anything is in there about our man Archibald please
                      > Frank

                      Sláinte

                      Lachaidh.

                    • frank/yvonne fisher
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
                        Thanks again I think that bottom one is the one I found about the index.
                        Frank
                        Erchie being transported. I would imagine that it is the same one? It is
                        about the right time.

                        On 7 April 2010 13:15, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Lachie, do you know how I can find this source? This would make a
                        > great little story fro the newsletter
                        > Thanks
                        > Frank

                        Sláinte

                        Lachaidh.

                      • frank/yvonne fisher

                          Tom see if anything is in there about our man Archibald please
                          Frank
                          For what it is worth , I have a Fatal Shore

                          _____

                          *Convicts very rarely made it back, according to Robert Hughes, A Fatal
                          Shore.
                          It was equivelant of being sent to the moon in todays terms. Maybe he died
                          of the injuries sustained on the Isabella?

                          MACQUARIE, Peter *
                          The only Macquarie (except the Governor and Lieutenant Hector Macquarie.)
                          found in N.S.W. in 1821 is Peter Macquarie, who had four children baptised
                          at St. Philip's between November 15th 1818 and January 16th 1825. This is
                          the period during which the 48th Regiment was stationed here. In the
                          regimental Muster records there is a Sergeant Peter McWharrie (also spelt
                          Wharrie) who was one of 14 soldiers who transferred from the 48th Regiment
                          to the 40th Regiment in 1824. (He had been serving in Van Diemen's Land). He
                          returned to the depot in England in 1826.

                          *1818 Apr 18-Oct 9*

                          Re conspiracy among convicts to take the ship; wounding of Archibald
                          Macquarie by Robert Hookes; depositions before magistrates, etc (Reel 6047;
                          4/1740 pp.327-53)

                          On 7 April 2010 11:35, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@worldpath.
                          <mailto:fydf%40worldpath.net> net> wrote:

                          > While researching the clan to build on the database I ran across this
                          > gentleman Archibald McQuarrie. Here is what I have on him at the moment.
                          > Archibald McQuarrie convicted 24 Nov. 1817 in Edinburgh, transported to
                          > Australia and arriving there Apr. 1818.
                          >
                          > Does anyone have any info of this fellow? WHo was he, parents ect. what
                          > was
                          > his crime and how long was his sentence, did he remain in Australia or
                          > return home upon release? This is the first one of us that I have come
                          > across that was transported. It seems that not all of the MacQuarrie's
                          > were
                          > country gentlemen. I wonder fi the Gov. showed any favoritism to clansmen
                          > that were transported as prisoners?
                          >
                          > FRank

                          Sláinte

                          Lachaidh.