Mary McQuary

  • frank/yvonne fisher
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 28, 2009
      Great fall here in New hampshire, wont be long befor the snow flies.
      I need your help yet again. Im looking for birth information and anything else that anyone may have for a Mary McQuary, Mary came to these shores on 15 Mar. 1850 on board the Gertrude, she was 25. Thast all I have
      Frank

    • Bill McQuary
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
        Frank,

        I can't help you with any info. Just wanted to comment that it's interesting that some Scots were still spelling the surname McQuary in 1850. It's possible, however, that Mary couldn't write and the ship's purser spelled her surname phonetically when he drew up the passenger list.

        Regards,
        Bil

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
          Bill, yes that could be the case. I did find a few with different spelings mostly Mac that were born about 1825 bout could not find where they came here. Oh well she will turn up at some point Im sure.
          Frank
          I can't help you with any info. Just wanted to comment that it's interesting that some Scots were still spelling the surname McQuary in 1850. It's possible, however, that Mary couldn't write and the ship's purser spelled her surname phonetically when he drew up the passenger list.

          Regards,
          Bil

          Great fall here in New hampshire, wont be long befor the snow flies.

          I need your help yet again. Im looking for birth information and anything else that anyone may have for a Mary McQuary, Mary came to these shores on 15 Mar. 1850 on board the Gertrude, she was 25. Thast all I have

          Frank

        • Cinda Marsh
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
            There is rarely a case with our surname when the spelling makes any difference whatsoever in researching the line.  Whoever filled out whichever document spelled it however seemed best to them at the time, including family members.  A number of times the Mc or Mac is left off completely. It can be tricky, but as long as it sounded good at the time, it was used.  Don't eliminate any lines or individuals based on spelling, just to be safe.Cinda

[...]

          • Tom McQuarrie
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
              Cinda is offering the right advice here. My name is spelt McQuarrie, members
              of my family use the Mac version. It appears that this occurred as a result
              of a death and 2nd marriage.

              I have encountered many mis pronunciations of my surname. Imagine how it
              would be written.

              Tom

              _____

              --- On Thu, 10/29/09, frank/yvonne fisher <fydf@worldpath.

            • fydf@worldpath.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
                yea, I covered all the bases. But none of the other spellings fit the bill
                there are several born at the right time, but none in Scotland all here in
                the US or Canada. I will just put the FGS on the bottom of the pile and by
                the time I work down to her again there might be some info someplace.
                Frank

                http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web
              • ABUNK316@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
                  HI - - -

                  MY PATERNAL GREAT GRANDMOTHER WAS MARY MATHIESON MCQUARRIE. I AM SURE THIS
                  IS NOT THE LADY YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. SHE WAS ONLY 14 WHEN SHE , HER PARENTS
                  AND A BROTHER CAME TO THE U.S. THEY SETTLED IN UTAH.

                  BRYAN ALLEN BUNKER

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
                    Two possibilities:  Mary McQuary's port of entry in North America was in the United States, and then she crossed over into Canada; or conversely, her port of entry was in Canada, and then she crossed over into the US.

                    I thought of this because my Great Grandfather John Joseph Dougherty, who married my Great Grandmother McQuerry, originally was from Castlemore, Ontario, Canada.  Both his parents were from Northern Ireland, but it was only with careful research that I discovered that their first port of entry upon crossing the Atlantic was the Port of New York. Upon landing in New York, John's grandfather, Bernard Dougherty went to the British Embassy and obtained permission to settle in Canada. When the oldest son inherited the Dougherty family farm, Great Grandfather Dougherty came to the United States in the mid-1880s, eventually making his way to Brownwood, Texas, where he met and married Minerva McQuerry. Perhaps something similar occurred with this Mary McQuary.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
                      Sorry, but we don't know anythng about her.

                      Frank and Marjorie</HTML>
                    • Tom Yerg
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 29, 2009
                        October 29, 2009

                        Dear Sir,

                        My great grandmother was Mary MacQuarrie Chase of Titusville PA. She was buried at Oakmont Cemetery in Warren Pennsylvania. She had 4 sisters and a brother Neil. Their Father was Allan MacQuarrie of Breton, Nova Scotia.

                        Tom Yerg

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 30, 2009
                          thanks Tom and Bryan for your input, she will turn up at some point.
                          Frank

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 30, 2009
                            Evelyn, thanks, I will double check the source and see if it gives what port she came into. I do believe it was in the U.S.
                            Frank

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 30, 2009
                              What era was this settlement in Utah?
                              My great aunt is Mary MacQuarrie and her mother was Margaret Matheson--a lot of similarities!

                              Marilyn (MacQ.) Wright NS

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 30, 2009
                                To Marilyn (MacQ.) Wright, NS

                                Mary Mathieson McQuarrie Bunker
                                Born: 23 August 1846 at Kilmalcolm Parish, Scotland
                                The youngest child of Allen and Agnes Mathieson McQuarrie. Her siblings:
                                Robert, Hector, Mary Graham, Neil, Agnes, and John.
                                19 March 1857 Mary and her parents left Grenock, Scotland, sailed to
                                Liverpool, England - stayed 8 days then sailed on the ship "George Washington"
                                for Boston. 1 May 1857. They left Boston for the West. Mary was 10 years old.
                                She and her mother walked most of the way. They arrived in Ogden, Utah.
                                Mary's parents died there in 1885.

                                She married Edward Bunker on 20 April, 1861, his 3rd Wife. He was 24
                                years older than Mary. Their first child was and is my Grandfather, Martin
                                Allen Bunker born January 5, 1863, in Santa Clara, Washington County, Utah.
                                She had a total of 10 children. My Father, Bryan Lamond Bunker was Martin
                                Allen Bunker's
                                third child and I am the first child of Bryan Lamond Bunker.

                                HOPE THIS IS A HELP TO YOU !

                                Sincerely,

                                Bryan Allen Bunker
                                you have my email address above
                                I WAS BORN ON MY GRANDFATHER'S BIRTHDATE OF JANUARY 5. IN 1924 IN LAS
                                VEGAS, CLARK COUNTY, NEVADA. THUS I RECEIVED MY FATHER'S FIRST NAME AND MY
                                GRANDFATHERS MIDDLE NAME.
                                My snail mail address: 1550 North Robin Lane, Mesa, AZ 85213 - 5595.

                                From: _macquarrie@From: _macquarrie@<WB_macquarrie@yahoogromacquar_