RE: [macquarrie] Speaking of homeland tours....

  • Duncan M. Cruickshanks
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
      Jim

      I need to dig out my MacQuarrie history for my family in Cape Breton, which
      I will do when I get back from my vacation in Cape Breton...There where lots
      of MacQuarries there. My grandmother's grandfather, settled on a mountain on
      a 200 acre crown grant in Middle River. If you went through the woods down
      the other side of the mountain you arrived at the eastern shore of Lake
      Ainsle. I do not think they were the same group although the time frame is
      about right..

      There were a number of brothers that were on the mountain tops from Humes
      rear(Whycocomagh)through Middle River. The prevalent first names in the clan
      were Lauchlan, Duncan, Quarrie, John, Malcolm and Angus, they were all
      MacQuarries.
      The highland village is a great take. The staff is very informative and good
      with my little ones especially the blacksmith...

      Duncan MacQuarrie Cruickshanks

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
        Dear MacQuarrie friends:

        At the urging of several who were on the MacQuarried Homeland Tour to
        Ulva and Mull in April of this year, I have set up another email list.

        It is in no way intended to detract from this list, but rather to be
        a place for those who went on the trip to share stories and
        remembrances of that trip. It is not a closed list and all are
        welcome to visit or join. By setting up another list, we will have
        more room to post photos, etc.

        It is my hope that many who are here will come there, too. Hopefully
        we will have enough pictures and stories to hold us all until we are
        able to return to Scotland!

        You will find the list at:
        www.yahoogroups.com/group/MacQuarrieHomelandTour2001
        Wow, what a name!

        Anyway, the only downside that I can see is that those of us who are
        already here will have another list to attend to.

        Email me with any questions or comments.
        Thanks.

        Mark Shoemaker
        (son of a McQueary)
        mshoe@...
      • Jim MacQuarrie
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
[...]

          ***************************************
          Jim MacQuarrie
          macquarrie@...
        • eoganog@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
            Hey, please feel free to post your stories and remembrances on this list,
            too!  It's what it's here for.  I'm sure we would all like to hear about the
            tour.
            Aye,
            Matt Newsome

            Tighearn Eoghan Og mac Labhrainn, OPE, CP
            Sacred Stone Pursuivant
            Web Master et A&S Minister, Hawkwood
            sennechie na hAlba agus Atlantia
            WWW.ALBANACH.ORG
          • Alex MacQuarrie
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 2, 2001
              Good morning,clansman,
              You should get hold of MacDougall's History of Inverness County while you're
              down there. It was published in 1920 or so and has since been reprinted and
              on sale at various outlets. MacDougall's method is somewhat haphazard but
              he covers most of the families who settled that county. However, it may be
              that Middle River is in Victoria County -- can't recall where the county
              line runs. My own direct line began in Inverness in 1826; my grandfather
              (1855-1927) had a farm back of Whycocomagh in a place variously called
              Dunakin or New Canada, disappeared today. He married a MacLean from East
              Lake Ainslie whose brother's grandchildren went on to become Shirley
              Maclaine and Warren Beatty, a step up or a step down in the world, depending
              on your point of view.
              We have Fox cousins in the Port Hawkesbury area and Blue cousins in River
              Denys. I'm told that these "non-Scottish" names, like Livingstone, date
              from the post-1745 period when they were rebels on the run from King
              George's political police. About 10 years ago one of the Blue daughters
              already had a complex genealogical project launched. I'm going to try to
              see her this summer and put her in touch with this group, if she isn't
              already.
              When a few years ago I was in the Canadian civil service, where political
              correctness runs rife, questionnaires were periodically sent around to
              identify members of oppressed groups -- gays, indians, women, "visible
              minorities" -- so that it could be determined how far short of the required
              quotas each unit was. Fed up with it at last, I returned the form describing
              myself as a Pict -- "we paint ourselves blue." I said that though I may not
              be painted blue every day, my pictidude was something internal, like being
              in the closet, and since it was "a pictish thing -- you'd never understand."
              I never got any preferential treatment, however; I was thinking of launching
              a class action on behalf all Picts, but never got around to it. Too bad; I
              could have asked for reparations in the form of a cash settlement, a public
              apology from the Queen and the Prime Minister, a pictish affirmative action
              program, and sensitivity classes for everyone who dissed my pictness.
              If you can't locate a copy of MacDougall down there, send me your fax number
              and I will fax you the relevant pages once I dig out my copy.
              Regards to all,
              Alex MacQuarrie

[...]

              This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
              HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE

            • ROSEMARY MAC

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 3, 2001
                  Im with you Rosemary,

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 3, 2001
                    Yuck Yuck Yuck
                  • eoganog@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 4, 2001
                      rmmlucky@... writes:

                      Actually, eggknot, I don't think this site should be used as a "chat line".
                      I get sick of hearing other people "talking " to each other via the
                      MacQuarrie Site.I subscribed (actually, my husband did) for information
                      about geneology, and any background information about the history of the
                      MacQuarrie Clan. Instead, I open my e-mail, and am bombarded with personal
                      stories of people"s trips, etc. Most of what my husband receives is
                      "chit-chat" among a select few. So, in the future, let's try to keep it on
                      a more historical level. (If you really want to e-mail with one or two
                      other individuals, maybe you could get their personal e-mail addresses.)
                      thank you. Rosemary

                      As the list moderator and the one who created this list, let me remind
                      everyone what is and is not on topic.  This list is for discussion of the
                      clan MacQuarrie and all that entails, be it history, genealogy, the culture
                      of the isles, etc.

                      Of course postings about MacQuarrie history are on topic.  I wish there were
                      more of them!  Are postings about travel off topic?  Of course not, as long
                      as they pertain to the homeland.  While I think I would tire of hearing about
                      people's trips to Glasgow or Edinburgh Castle, reading about Ulva and Mull
                      educate me about where the MacQuarries are from, and that is what this list
                      is about.  Postings like this are no more off topic than genealogy postings.
                      After all, postings about some MacQ who migrated to Nova Scotia in 1822 won't
                      really interest me unless I'm descended from him.  But they are still
                      perfectly on topic for this list.

                      I would hesitate to call the list a "chat-line between select people."  Most
                      of the people on this list never knew of eachother before they subscribed.  I
                      think this list has done a wonderful job of bringing MacQuarries together.
                      The volume of mail for this list is very low.  Last month, July, there were
                      only 24 messages posted.  That is less than one a day, and it was a high
                      month.  I don't consider this being bombarded with mail, but then again, I
                      check my mail at least once a day normally.  If this is too much volume for
                      anyone, however, I would remind you that there is also a digest version you
                      can subscribe to where you get mail less frequently.  That can be beneficial
                      for those on many lists who don't want the additional mail but want to stay
                      connected.  I can help you switch to the digest if you need.

                      To sum up:  The recent posting on the Foot & Mouth restrictions being lifted
                      on Ulva--very on topic.  The recent posting of "yuck yuck yuck," ehhh, not so
                      much so.  Not informative and we couldn't tell what it was in response to.
                      Likewise, posts that just say, "Me, too," or "I agree" shoudl be avoided
                      unless you have somethign else to add.

                      As a general guideline, I would say to post messages only when you have some
                      good information to share relating to the clan--be it history, culture,
                      genealogy, travel, or the clan society today--or if you have a question about
                      any of the above.

                      I'm not one for mindless chit-chat on email lists, either, but I haven't
                      found much of it on this list, for that matter, so I can't complain!  If this
                      list was really huge, I might consider dividing it into a list for history, a
                      list for travel info, etc....  but it's such a small list yet with low
                      traffic, so I don't think that is neccesary or a good idea at this point.  If
                      anyone else has any suggestions along these lines, please feel free to let me
                      know.
                      Aye,
                      Matt Newsome
                      list admin

                      Matthew Allen Columba Newsome
                      curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum, USA
                      www.albanach.org
                      a McGuire of clan MacQuarrie
                      albanach.org/macquarrie
                    • Charles McQuarrie
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 4, 2001
                        Your note reminded me of a question I have for you now that there is a separate 'group' for the 2001 Homeland Tour'. Is it convenient for you to move those tour pictures I posted on the general MacQuarrie group or should I re-post them there? The originals were in .tif format that someone else converted to .jpg images so I'm not even sure that I can move them.

                        Charlie,

                        p.s. Regarding the mini-controversy regarding the main group being used as a "chat line", I find that the delete button on my browser seems to function quite well.

                        I also wonder if there is anything that can be done (or should be done) to facilitate the posting of the various MacQuarrie family tree branches on the main group.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 4, 2001
                          In a message dated 8/4/01 2:06:33 PM !!!First Boot!!!, camcq@... writes:

                          Your note reminded me of a question I have for you now that there is a
                          separate 'group' for the 2001 Homeland Tour'. Is it convenient for you to
                          move those tour pictures I posted on the general MacQuarrie group or should
                          I re-post them there? The originals were in .tif format that someone else
                          converted to .jpg images so I'm not even sure that I can move them.

                          If you can't upload them to the other site, I would ask the other group
                          moderator to download them from this site and upload them--often times it's
                          easier for the moderator to do this.

                          I also wonder if there is anything that can be done (or should be done) to
                          facilitate the posting of the various MacQuarrie family tree branches on
                          the main group.

                          Not being a big genealogist myself, I don't know what all this would entail,
                          but I think it is a good idea.  If anyone has their genealogydone in a word
                          document or a text file, it would be easy to upload it to the files section
                          of the group.  I know the group has a database form....  if someone who does
                          genealogy wants to see how easy it would be to set up a database for that,
                          where people could enter their own information, I think that would be a
                          wonderful idea!

                          Aye,
                          Matt

                          Matthew Allen Columba Newsome
                          curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum, USA
                          www.albanach.org
                          A McGuire of Clan MacQuarrie
                          "Turris Fortis Mihi Deus"
                          if requesting a tartan or clan name search
                          please email me at work at
                          tartans@...
                        • mshoe@iname.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 4, 2001
                            Charles:

                            I have enjoyed your posted pictures tremendously!
                            My thought would be rather than try to move them, to leave them right
                            where they are. That way, since Yahoo limits the amount of space for
                            photos, we would have even more space to post photos.
                            The only way I would think it would be necessary to move them would
                            be if this list got too full and needed the space back.

                            I have put a note on the other list encouraging people to visit this
                            list and see what's here. Feel free to post a note informing folks
                            that your photos are here, or I will.

                            Thanks.

                            Mark

                            --- In macquarrie@y..., "Charles McQuarrie" <camcq@h...> wrote:
                            > Your note reminded me of a question I have for you now that there
                            is a separate 'group' for the 2001 Homeland Tour'. Is it convenient
                            for you to move those tour pictures I posted on the general
                            MacQuarrie group or should I re-post them there? The originals were
                            in .tif format that someone else converted to .jpg images so I'm not
                            even sure that I can move them.

                            > Charlie,
                          • Charles McQuarrie
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 4, 2001
                              Go right ahead and spread the word. My cheap little Minolta and I are so
                              proud. At least I think it is a Minolta. It is either that or a Milita(sp?).
                              I know that one is a camera and the other is a coffee maker, I just can't
                              keep it straight which one is which.

                              Incidentally, I've finally scanned in all my Homeland Tour pictures as well
                              as those that were taken of my MacQuarrie relatives and surprise the total
                              came to 86. On top of that are those pictures that I took related to my
                              other set of grandparents who were also from Scotland. I'm definitely going
                              to have to get a director's megaphone and a sign-board that says "Lights,
                              Action, Camera".

                              Charlie (dba Cecil B. Demille),

                              > I have enjoyed your posted pictures tremendously!
                              > My thought would be rather than try to move them, to leave them right
                              > where they are. That way, since Yahoo limits the amount of space for
                              > photos, we would have even more space to post photos.
                              > The only way I would think it would be necessary to move them would
                              > be if this list got too full and needed the space back.
                              >
                              > I have put a note on the other list encouraging people to visit this
                              > list and see what's here. Feel free to post a note informing folks
                              > that your photos are here, or I will.
                              >
                              > Thanks.
                              >
                              > Mark
                              >
                              > --- In macquarrie@y..., "Charles McQuarrie" <camcq@h...> wrote:
                              > > Your note reminded me of a question I have for you now that there
                              > is a separate 'group' for the 2001 Homeland Tour'. Is it convenient
                              > for you to move those tour pictures I posted on the general
                              > MacQuarrie group or should I re-post them there? The originals were
                              > in .tif format that someone else converted to .jpg images so I'm not
                              > even sure that I can move them.
                              > >
                              > > Charlie,
                              >

                              > This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
                              > HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE

                            • shoe
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 4, 2001
                                Charlie:

                                Feel free to load some up to the other list if room becomes an issue on this
                                one.
                                I can't be much help, though on the formatting. I'm still learning <grin>.

                                Mark

                              • Lachie Macquarie
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 5, 2001
                                  In message <C133EB5B6E86D411AD5900105AC81B2012D3E4@HSN01>, Alex
                                  MacQuarrie <amacquarrie@...> writes
                                  >Good morning,clansman,
                                  >You should get hold of MacDougall's History of Inverness County while you're
                                  >down there. It was published in 1920 or so and has since been reprinted and
                                  >on sale at various outlets. MacDougall's method is somewhat haphazard but
                                  >he covers most of the families who settled that county. However, it may be
                                  >that Middle River is in Victoria County -- can't recall where the county
                                  >line runs. My own direct line began in Inverness in 1826; my grandfather
                                  >(1855-1927) had a farm back of Whycocomagh in a place variously called
                                  >Dunakin or New Canada, disappeared today. He married a MacLean from East
                                  >Lake Ainslie whose brother's grandchildren went on to become Shirley
                                  >Maclaine and Warren Beatty, a step up or a step down in the world, depending
                                  >on your point of view.
                                  >We have Fox cousins in the Port Hawkesbury area and Blue cousins in River
                                  >Denys. I'm told that these "non-Scottish" names, like Livingstone, date
                                  >from the post-1745 period when they were rebels on the run from King
                                  >George's political police. About 10 years ago one of the Blue daughters
                                  >already had a complex genealogical project launched. I'm going to try to
                                  >see her this summer and put her in touch with this group, if she isn't
                                  >already.

                                  There were a lot of Livingstones knocking about Mull and Ulva according
                                  to Black they were related to the MacLeays "Englished" their name to
                                  Livingstone. Regarding the Blues and Browns et al I have it said that
                                  they were at one time Lamonts who were severely harried by the Campbells
                                  in their Cowal stronghold. Does you friend have any info regarding that?

                                  >When a few years ago I was in the Canadian civil service, where political
                                  >correctness runs rife, questionnaires were periodically sent around to
                                  >identify members of oppressed groups -- gays, indians, women, "visible
                                  >minorities" -- so that it could be determined how far short of the required
                                  >quotas each unit was. Fed up with it at last, I returned the form describing
                                  >myself as a Pict -- "we paint ourselves blue." I said that though I may not
                                  >be painted blue every day, my pictidude was something internal, like being
                                  >in the closet, and since it was "a pictish thing -- you'd never understand."

                                  We are not Picts we are Erse, they is some argument if the Picts were
                                  pre Celtic or were an earlier wave of Celtic migration. Even the blue
                                  body painting is allegedly a myth.

                                  --
                                  Lochlainn Iain MhicGuaire
                                • Leah Wayland
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 6, 2001
                                    Re: [macquarrie] additional MacQuarrie list posted You know, this was actually a pretty RUDE posting to the very gentleman who started this e-mail list.  And it is NOT eggknot, as you probably well know.

                                    My belief is, if you don’t desire to read other people’s “stories”, you should unsubscribe rather than attempting to have others follow your will.  To me, a little conversation is the spice of life.

                                    Leah McQuarrie Wayland

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 6, 2001
                                      Re: [macquarrie] additional MacQuarrie list posted
                                      Leah, well, I guess I should have kept my opinion to myself. You see, I did not subscribe, my husband did. He barely ever reads them, because there are so few that have any real "substance" for him. I will try to get him to unsubscribe so as not to cause any "hurt" feelings. And, if anyone took it as rude, it wasn't meant to be, mea cupa!  I won't write again, I promise! Rosemary

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 6, 2001
                                        Re: [macquarrie] additional MacQuarrie list posted Not my intention to have you not write again – by all means.  It was only my intention to have you recognize that in order to learn about past and present family ties people have discussions that may not always seem to be directly related to geneology.

                                        Leah McQuarrie Wayland

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 6, 2001
                                          > >You should get hold of MacDougall's History of Inverness County while
                                          you're
                                          > >down there. It was published in 1920 or so and has since been reprinted
                                          and
                                          > >on sale at various outlets. MacDougall's method is somewhat haphazard
                                          but
                                          > >he covers most of the families who settled that county. However, it may
                                          be
                                          > >that Middle River is in Victoria County -- can't recall where the county
                                          > >line runs. My own direct line began in Inverness in 1826; my grandfather
                                          > >(1855-1927) had a farm back of Whycocomagh in a place variously called
                                          > >Dunakin or New Canada, disappeared today. He married a MacLean from East
                                          > >Lake Ainslie whose brother's grandchildren went on to become Shirley
                                          > >Maclaine and Warren Beatty, a step up or a step down in the world,
                                          depending
                                          > >on your point of view.
                                          > >We have Fox cousins in the Port Hawkesbury area and Blue cousins in River
                                          > >Denys. I'm told that these "non-Scottish" names, like Livingstone, date
                                          > >from the post-1745 period when they were rebels on the run from King
                                          > >George's political police. About 10 years ago one of the Blue daughters
                                          > >already had a complex genealogical project launched. I'm going to try to
                                          > >see her this summer and put her in touch with this group, if she isn't
                                          > >already.
                                          >
                                          > There were a lot of Livingstones knocking about Mull and Ulva according
                                          > to Black they were related to the MacLeays "Englished" their name to
                                          > Livingstone. Regarding the Blues and Browns et al I have it said that
                                          > they were at one time Lamonts who were severely harried by the Campbells
                                          > in their Cowal stronghold. Does you friend have any info regarding that?

                                          If I recall correctly there is supposed to be a cave on Ulva that was 'used'
                                          by David Livingstone's parents.
                                          I never got to it but I recall a signpost that said something to that
                                          effect.

                                          > >When a few years ago I was in the Canadian civil service, where political
                                          > >correctness runs rife, questionnaires were periodically sent around to
                                          > >identify members of oppressed groups -- gays, indians, women, "visible
                                          > >minorities" -- so that it could be determined how far short of the
                                          required
                                          > >quotas each unit was. Fed up with it at last, I returned the form
                                          describing
                                          > >myself as a Pict -- "we paint ourselves blue." I said that though I may
                                          not
                                          > >be painted blue every day, my pictidude was something internal, like
                                          being
                                          > >in the closet, and since it was "a pictish thing -- you'd never
                                          understand."

                                          > We are not Picts we are Erse, they is some argument if the Picts were
                                          > pre Celtic or were an earlier wave of Celtic migration. Even the blue
                                          > body painting is allegedly a myth.

                                          Any information as to where the Erse originated?

                                          > >I never got any preferential treatment, however; I was thinking of
                                          launching
                                          > >a class action on behalf all Picts, but never got around to it. Too bad;
                                          > >could have asked for reparations in the form of a cash settlement, a
                                          public
                                          > >apology from the Queen and the Prime Minister, a pictish affirmative
                                          action
                                          > >program, and sensitivity classes for everyone who dissed my pictness.
                                          > >If you can't locate a copy of MacDougall down there, send me your fax
                                          number
                                          > >and I will fax you the relevant pages once I dig out my copy.
                                          > >Regards to all,
                                          > >Alex MacQuarrie
                                          >

                                          > --
                                          > Lochlainn Iain MhicGuaire

                                          Charlie,

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 7, 2001
                                            I am Pictish on my mother's side. I congratulate clansman Lachie on his
                                            Erseness. I am confident he did not intend to diss my pictitude.
                                            Blue forever,
                                            Alex.

> [...]

                                            > We are not Picts we are Erse, they is some argument if the Picts were
                                            > pre Celtic or were an earlier wave of Celtic migration. Even the blue
                                            > body painting is allegedly a myth.

                                            Any information as to where the Erse originated?

                                            > >I never got any preferential treatment, however; I was thinking of
                                            launching
                                            > >a class action on behalf all Picts, but never got around to it. Too bad;
                                            > >could have asked for reparations in the form of a cash settlement, a
                                            public
                                            > >apology from the Queen and the Prime Minister, a pictish affirmative
                                            action
                                            > >program, and sensitivity classes for everyone who dissed my pictness.
                                            > >If you can't locate a copy of MacDougall down there, send me your fax
                                            number
                                            > >and I will fax you the relevant pages once I dig out my copy.

                                            Charlie,

                                            > This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
                                            > HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE

                                            This is the MacQuarrie e-mail list.
                                            HTTP://ALBANACH.ORG/MACQUARRIE

                                          • Tom McQuarrie
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 8, 2001
                                              Rosemary,
                                              This does not have a respectful tone to it .

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 8, 2001

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 10, 2001
                                                  In message <002101c11eb8$f6634080$e0954218@...>, Charles
                                                  McQuarrie <camcq@...> writes

                                                  >> In message <C133EB5B6E86D411AD5900105AC81B2012D3E4@HSN01>, Alex
                                                  >> MacQuarrie <amacquarrie@...> writes
                                                  >> >Good morning,clansman,
                                                  >> >You should get hold of MacDougall's History of Inverness County while
                                                  >you're
                                                  >> >down there. It was published in 1920 or so and has since been reprinted
                                                  >and
                                                  >> >on sale at various outlets. MacDougall's method is somewhat haphazard
                                                  >but
                                                  >> >he covers most of the families who settled that county. However, it may
                                                  >be
                                                  >> >that Middle River is in Victoria County -- can't recall where the county
                                                  >> >line runs. My own direct line began in Inverness in 1826; my grandfather
                                                  >> >(1855-1927) had a farm back of Whycocomagh in a place variously called
                                                  >> >Dunakin or New Canada, disappeared today. He married a MacLean from East
                                                  >> >Lake Ainslie whose brother's grandchildren went on to become Shirley
                                                  >> >Maclaine and Warren Beatty, a step up or a step down in the world,
                                                  >depending
                                                  >> >on your point of view.
                                                  >> >We have Fox cousins in the Port Hawkesbury area and Blue cousins in River
                                                  >> >Denys. I'm told that these "non-Scottish" names, like Livingstone, date
                                                  >> >from the post-1745 period when they were rebels on the run from King
                                                  >> >George's political police. About 10 years ago one of the Blue daughters
                                                  >> >already had a complex genealogical project launched. I'm going to try to
                                                  >> >see her this summer and put her in touch with this group, if she isn't
                                                  >> >already.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> There were a lot of Livingstones knocking about Mull and Ulva according
                                                  >> to Black they were related to the MacLeays "Englished" their name to
                                                  >> Livingstone. Regarding the Blues and Browns et al I have it said that
                                                  >> they were at one time Lamonts who were severely harried by the Campbells
                                                  >> in their Cowal stronghold. Does you friend have any info regarding that?
                                                  >
                                                  >If I recall correctly there is supposed to be a cave on Ulva that was 'used'
                                                  >by David Livingstone's parents.
                                                  >I never got to it but I recall a signpost that said something to that
                                                  >effect.

                                                  According to MacKenzie's book Sin Mar a Bha, it was Livingstone's
                                                  grandparents who arrived in Ulva after the 45. While their house was
                                                  being built they and their animals used the cave.

                                                  >> >When a few years ago I was in the Canadian civil service, where political
                                                  >> >correctness runs rife, questionnaires were periodically sent around to
                                                  >> >identify members of oppressed groups -- gays, indians, women, "visible
                                                  >> >minorities" -- so that it could be determined how far short of the
                                                  >required
                                                  >> >quotas each unit was. Fed up with it at last, I returned the form
                                                  >describing
                                                  >> >myself as a Pict -- "we paint ourselves blue." I said that though I may
                                                  >not
                                                  >> >be painted blue every day, my pictidude was something internal, like
                                                  >being
                                                  >> >in the closet, and since it was "a pictish thing -- you'd never
                                                  >understand."
                                                  >>
                                                  >> We are not Picts we are Erse, they is some argument if the Picts were
                                                  >> pre Celtic or were an earlier wave of Celtic migration. Even the blue
                                                  >> body painting is allegedly a myth.
                                                  >
                                                  >Any information as to where the Erse originated?

                                                  Erse is the English derogatory term for Gaelic. It also can mean a
                                                  Gael. It seems quite apt in its closeness to another well use Scot's
                                                  word?

                                                  --
                                                  Lachie.
                                                • Lachie Macquarie
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 10, 2001
                                                    In message <C133EB5B6E86D411AD5900105AC81B2012D46C@HSN01>, Alex
                                                    MacQuarrie <amacquarrie@...> writes
                                                    >I am Pictish on my mother's side. I congratulate clansman Lachie on his
                                                    >Erseness. I am confident he did not intend to diss my pictitude.
                                                    >Blue forever,
                                                    >Alex.

                                                    Congratulations on your Pictishness, do you still speak it? Your
                                                    confidence is not without grounds, indeed I would never diss your
                                                    Pictitude? I might use a little olive oil though.

                                                    --
                                                    Lachie Macquarie, Bod an Deamhan-- smaoineachadh miannach.